Was Renly's Murder Justified?

calo760

I can't help but notice that many readers (and fans of the show) genuinely believe Renly was murdered unjustly..and my question is.. why? Put yourself in the story. Your older brother, the King, dies and by the laws of the realm you are the one who is to succeed and become King.. Now, picture your arrogant, smartass little brother who says "No, more people like me..I think I will be king!", and to top it off he takes all of your family's loyal banner men to attack you. ...Wouldn't killing him be self defense? Seeing as how Renly was ready to fight him on the battlefield and would have probably killed Stannis if he didn't take Renly out. If Stannis managed to win the battle he would have lost enough men in combat for him to be crushed by the other contenders.

Using magic to isolate the cause of the problem (Renly) was not only his best move..but kind of his only move at the time. It isnt like Stannis wanted to kill Renly. Stannis gave him the chance to join him and was uncharacteristically cool about it. ..but Renly really just wanted the glory and popularity and wanted to see his name go down in history..

In my opinion Renly betrayed his brother, betrayed his house, and betrayed the realm and payed the price for it, Yes Renly was a nice, personable guy, courteous and always a gentleman.. but not all the glitters is gold. And if this series has taught me anything, it is that life is hard on the shiny things.

Does anyone feel the same about Renly's death? And opposing thoughts?

He should've challenged Renly to single combat, in my opinion. It would've been nore courageous of Stannis, and ifRenly denied it, he would've looked like a coward. Instead, using magic to kill Renly makes Stannis look afraid to confront him head on, and all of the supporters of Renly gave up and left when they likely would've had a bit nore respect for him if he fought him head on. My own two cents.

1) By law, Joffrey is king. Hair colour is not a legal case, and Stannis can't read or submit ASoIaF as evidence.

2) The Throne you're fighting over was most recently decided by a version of a popularity contest.

3) He doesn't attack you. YOU ATTACK HIM. He merely defends himself. No idea how people keep inverting this.

4) You hadn't been heard of in years, had fore sworn your duties and abandoned your king/brother and Renly was mostly trying to survive. He had stayed around in KL as Cersei's enemy, and so his head was on the block if he doesn't find a way out. He tried a few other versions before claiming the Throne.

I don't believe it was. He did usurp the throne ahead of his brother, which was wrong, but murdering him seemed like an excessive penalty. It also seemed like a "cheat" way of killing him instead of in a duel or during battle. Mel and Stannis also lied to Renly telling him that he had until dawn to raise his banners, instead murdering him before this. I'm wondering what would have happened had he actually joined Stannis... what would Mel have done with the shadow she was carrying then?

renly tried to steal from his brother.

renly would have killed him to make sure he got the throne, after he refuses to become his bitch.

thus renly does not have the moral high ground when stannis kill's him.

thus he was justified.

Do you think freeing slaves is stealing from slave owners?

Yes. It was justified. Who goes to battle is a fair target.

Furthermore, I would prefer the term assassination over murder. The latter is loaded.

Of course Renly was just trying to save his own hide before the Lannisters skinned him alive for Storms End. He needed the Tyrells and for that he needed to make Margaery Queen.

Yes. It was justified. Who goes to battle is a fair target.

Furthermore, I would prefer the term assassination over murder. The latter is loaded.

Of course Renly was just trying to save his own hide before the Lannisters skinned him alive for Storms End. He needed the Tyrells and for that he needed to make Margaery Queen.

And though I am a Renly supporter pretty much this as well.

people aren't property ever. by trying to make someone an object or commodity devalues what it means to be human.

but the iron throne is property and thus trying to steal it is illegal.

The iron throne is not important as property, but as the symbol of a birthright to absolute power over other non-consenting human beings, punishable by death if disobeyed. It IS slavery. The complaint about it's theft is exactly the same moral argument as the complaint a slave owner can level against an abolitionist.

Archived