Do we think Yara will return in Season 5? [Book Spoilers]

Udvarnoky

I think instead of arguing over the quality of the Asha/Dreadfort scene we should just be looking at the fact that they felt the need to give Asha another scene. This would seem to mean they have plans for her later on, whatever they may be, and wanted to remind the audience she was still around. I'm guessing that when Balon bites the dust(might be a good ep 1 teaser) she just becomes Queen and any Euron/Victarion storylines are just cut or merged into her. I could be wrong there.

I think instead of arguing over the quality of the Asha/Dreadfort scene we should just be looking at the fact that they felt the need to give Asha another scene. This would seem to mean they have plans for her later on, whatever they may be, and wanted to remind the audience she was still around. I'm guessing that when Balon bites the dust(might be a good ep 1 teaser) she just becomes Queen and any Euron/Victarion storylines are just cut or merged into her. I could be wrong there.

But they haven't given Rickon, Osha, Gendry, Jaquen other scenes, so they aren't afraid to leave characters out for years at a time.

But they haven't given Rickon, Osha, Gendry, Jaquen other scenes, so they aren't afraid to leave characters out for years at a time.

Unless Rickon and Asha meet a badass Unicorn on Skagos, I don't think any of those character's introduce other main characters to the story like Asha/Yara would though.

I would submit all of these characters, even Rickon and Jaqen, really don't have much of a role to play. It's not like recasting Jaqen would be an issue anyways. They weren't afraid to recast the Lannister kids either. And I think Gendry's gone for good. Asha on the other hand would seem to have a more prominent role if they're giving her filler scenes to keep the actress on the payroll. It's not like all of Stannis' scenes in season 3 weren't pretty much "Hey, he's still here" for example.

I think instead of arguing over the quality of the Asha/Dreadfort scene we should just be looking at the fact that they felt the need to give Asha another scene.

"Felt the need?" They had to pay off the massive setup they chose to use as a climactic moment of Season 3 where she declares that she's going to sail around an entire continent to reach the Dreadfort and recover her brother. The issue with the scene isn't just questionable staging - it's that it's incredible anticlimactic, and not in some subversive way that feels deliberate.

I honestly think that the writers would not have chosen to lend that moment in Season 3 such gravity if they had somehow known how Season 4 was going to be designed ahead of time.

Also, regardless of what the commentary says about Yara realizing she's heir to the Iron Islands, does it really make any sense at all for her to go retreat to her home (again, an entire continent away), instead of hanging around in the North with her 50 killers? (Most of them were still on the longship.) Her already being up there segues nicely into her upcoming material in the books. Whether or not the show depicts Deepwood Motte, she's nicely positioned to get captured by Stannis. Why not have Yara hang around there trying to harass the Boltons in some other way until that happens?

Frankly, I don't see an alternative. What, is she going to go all the way back home only to go all the way back to the North again? Let her stay put unless they're changing her story so much that she won't even interact with Stannis.

Those were my thoughts as well, Asha naturally becomes queen after Balon dies. But I think we also have to ponder other possibilities, such as, if they are following Asha's book plot, would it make sense to do so with her being the Queen of Iron Islands?

Maybe they'll keep Balon alive until Asha or Theon claims the throne (I think Theon's plot is still tied with the Iron Islands and Asha).

Will Yara/Asha be needed in the show?

In the books, she provides a neutral POV from which the readers can observe Stannis' plot arc. On TV, the camera provides the perspective.

She doesn't actually do anything of significance from Deepwood Motte onward.

And if the show cuts the Iron Islands subplot, then her actions at the moot aren't relevant either.

They are cutting it. But it's like saying Sansa is not needed since she doesn't do anything of significance after Lysa dies, but we know she still has a role to play in the future (that's one of the reasons people are thinking she's going to Winterfell though, but that's for another topic).

If Asha's role is to take Theon to the Iron Islands or make the Islands support Stannis (or Daenerys), why not use her since they bothered to keep her on screen for two seasons in which they seemingly had no idea what to do with the character?

Interesting point, Steelborn.

They may not need her to serve her original purpose, but there is no reason they can't assign her a new one.

Indeed, if they are cutting out the Greyjoy brothers, they may need to give her Vic's job. We don't yet know just how significant Victarion's role will be to Dany's future; if it's too important to simply do away with, they might give it to their existing Greyjoy character.

I thought the guy who played Jaqen was casted for Season 5?

Yes he was. But I guess it was not essential for the TV series to have him. I mean it is not in the books and its more of a fan-service. If he were not available, they could have easily readjusted the story and have a totally different Faceless man fulfil the same functions in Arya's story.

It is different with Yara, they can not just let her dissapear.....

I think they can re-arrange the story of Greyjoys from AFFC/TWOW by by splitting book Euron, Victarion, Damphair and Asha functions between just two caracters - Yara and her only Uncle.

Archived