[BOOK AND SHOW SPOILERS] Has the show peaked?

Zyxw

The episode in itself ended on a bad note. It was just a bad episode. I don't really feel invested to watch next season, which is why I will not.

I'm done, too. Where did everyone leave off: Jon is dead, his last word, Olly. Arya is a psycho killer and blind. Sansa wants to die after rapes/beatings. Brienne ditches Sansa to kill Stannis. Jaime is holding a dead Myrcella. Cersei seeks revenge with UnGregor. Dany is surrounded by Dothraki. Jorah has greyscale. All the bad guys won... Rather a bad note...

Well here is the problem with that statement. Game of Thrones is the most pirated show on television. A lot of that has to do with accessibility of HBO. If every person with a television got GOT on sunday nights how many more people would actually watch it?

Cause it's very clear now that by adding one more level of accessibility they expanded their audience. And they still have record breaking piracy. So what is peaking for this show? Because we don't even really know how many people actually watch the show to begin with. It's likely a lot higher than 20 million. And other shows, for instance Breaking Bad, have actually seen huge increases in later seasons and lots of people start watching shows late. I know people that for them, season 5 was there first live season, then I know people that are just catching up on season 5 right now because they were too busy with work.

The point is, the more accessible a show is, the more you get a metric for who WILL watch it if they have the opportunity. That gives you a better idea of peaking. Lets be fair, maybe it's pretty much peaked for people that will strictly only watch it on HBO proper. It hasn't peaked when you create other options. And we know that there is still an untapped group of people pirating the show. Those are factors you have to consider.

I think I've done a poor job explaining the difference in the non tracked and tracked sample. Piracy ratings are not data, they are estimates, btw so they can't really be cited in estabilishing a trend. It may be easier to explain with some math done with hypothetical numbers.

Season 4 had 19 million and lets say for arguement another 5 million via other means (piracy, watching at a friends house, etc). So total viewership of 24 million.

Now for season five lets says we actually had a drop of ten percent in overall viewership, both tracked and non-tracked. That gives us 17.1 of our season 4 'tracked sample' audience. Our non-tracked from season 4 drops to 4.5 million. However, lets say 50 percent of the season 4 non tracked start watching via HBONOW, or 2.25 million. For season 5 this 2.25 million moves from the non-tracked sample to the tracked sample giving a tracked viewership of 19.35 and what looks like an increase in viewership.

Now I'm not saying this happened, but this is why you can't compare season 4 and 5 numbers because their is no accurate way to track when someone moves from who sample to another. This is also why you can't assert the trend, because season 4 and 5 numbers are generated from fundamentally different samples and methodologies. It is reasonably possible that season 4 was the peak, and we simply can't know because season 4 and 5 numbers are generated from fundementally different means now.

I'm done, too. Where did everyone leave off: Jon is dead, his last word, Olly. Arya is a psycho killer and blind. Sansa wants to die after rapes/beatings. Brienne ditches Sansa to kill Stannis. Jaime is holding a dead Myrcella. Cersei seeks revenge with UnGregor. Dany is surrounded by Dothraki. Jorah has greyscale. All the bad guys won... Rather a bad note...

And they even taunt us with Ramsay saying how he's looking to return to his wife. Brienne's one of the worst people in Westeros. Why would I ever take the wench to be my bodyguard? She ditched the candle she's been looking for days for a chance to avenge Renly.

And they even taunt us with Ramsay saying how he's looking to return to his wife. Brienne's one of the worst people in Westeros. Why would I ever take the wench to be my bodyguard? She ditched the candle she's been looking for days for a chance to avenge Renly.

Why do people appear to forget that Brienne was in Renly's Kingguard. Why would she not attempt to avenge his death given she made that proclamation on several occassions? It was too coincidental that she left her position just as Sansa lit the candle but she would be one to return to that position after dealing with Stannis.

So much hatred for Show Brienne on these forums and with very little cause.

Why do people appear to forget that Brienne was in Renly's Kingguard. Why would she not attempt to avenge his death given she made that proclamation on several occassions? It was too coincidental that she left her position just as Sansa lit the candle but she would be one to return to that position after dealing with Stannis.

Because it helps them complain about the storyline by ignoring the fact that in the show and the book the very first vow she made when she was taken into Catelyn's custody was that she would kill Stannis.

She was in the North trying to fulfill one vow. Nothing happened with that for months. The opportunity to fulfill another arose and she went with it. Not very difficult to understand.

Coincidence yes. Out of character no.

Show!Brienne treats Pod like crap, fails in every one of her missions, ditched Sansa for Stannis. I understand she wanted revenge, but she was supposed to be "good" and put her values and her promise to Cat above that. Apparently, she can't.

Show Brienne made two vows. Kill Stannis, bring the Stark girls home.

She tried to bring Arya back, she refused her help and fled. She tried to bring Sansa back to safety, she refused her help. She waited for months for Sansa to take her up on that offer for help. Never got a response.

All of a sudden out of nowhere Stannis shows up at a really opportune moment. She decides to fulfill that vow.

Has nothing to do with being good. Both vows were equal to her. She valued Renly just as much, if not more, than she ever valued Catelyn. And Catelyn's daughters refused her help every step of the way and Stannis was right there. It would have been impractical to do anything else.

Show!Brienne treats Pod like crap, fails in every one of her missions, ditched Sansa for Stannis. I understand she wanted revenge, but she was supposed to be "good" and put her values and her promise to Cat above that. Apparently, she can't.

And ditching her was not even presented as a good thing. Gwendoline Christie said "In the script it says, “a darkness comes over her."

Pod is a teenager who she did ask to be in her service and Pod did make mistakes in her service. Brienne also acknowledge her surly behavior to Pod and stated to help him on his weaker area. That is not being a Brute or a Thug.

Her first vows were to serve Renly in his KG, and when she swore herself to Catelyn she mention of not being held back when it came to Stannis. I do not see why she is "good" to disregard her first vows. It is a conflict but I do not see why her vows to Catelyn overrides her vows to Renly determine that she is "good".

I've really enjoyed the Brienne and Pod scenes. I wondered how it was going to work when they were paired together but David and Dan have really done a nice job with them. Loved the one scene where Pod's horse was going all over the place. They've developed a nice chemistry and look forward to see where their story line is headed.

Also, one scene absolutely no one talks about from last season was the confrontation between Brienne and Pod and Baelish at the Inn in the Vale. Absolutely loved that and thought it was brilliantly done (including the battle on horses afterwards).

Honestly, I don't blame Brienne for ditching Sansa when she had the chance. After months of staring out that window trying to make out a candle from hundreds of yards away, anyone would be in a murderous rampage cursing themselves for coming up with such a stupid plan. The only surprising part was that hadn't skinned Pod alive to make herself a new leather jacket.

I've really enjoyed the Brienne and Pod scenes. I wondered how it was going to work when they were paired together but David and Dan have really done a nice job with them

:ack: And I thought your feminists blame Sansa for getting raped post was ridiculous.

Archived