[BOOK AND SHOW SPOILERS] Has the show peaked?

Zyxw

Once again, it is completely fair to have your own opinion of the show and not like this season - but people need to stop projecting their own opinion onto everyone else.

By any metric whatsoever, the show has not yet peaked.

That's an opinion, that you are entitled to. I don't expect that you would "project it on to me" but I would expect you to defend it.

I don't think your rather absolutist claim holds up. Ratings plateaued about 20 episodes ago.

No point arguing with this half-wit troll. It's only fun to show him being a hypocrite really.

Yes, Borodin is a troll, in addition to just being a weird dude - who spends this much time of their life talking about a show they don't like, just asserting the same nonsense repeatedly without any argument, even if it is trolling? Total weirdo.

But there are others on here who aren't trolls and are more reasonable.

That's an opinion, that you are entitled to. I don't expect that you would "project it on to me" but I would expect you to defend it.

I don't think your rather absolutist claim holds up. Ratings plateaued about 20 episodes ago.

They just got their highest rated episode, fans are raving about it all over social media, most review sites giving it great scores.

I've never read anyone saying ratings are going to drop.

Ratings have plateaued. The show has had a little under 7 million viewers for the past two seasons in a row. The record-breaking season finale was marred by the fact that episode 6 not only did worse that episode 6, it did worse than episode 6 from the previous season. In fact, it did even worse that episode 6 from two seasons ago when the average viewership was 4.97 million. The show tanked.

It tanked because of terrible writing. It was saved in the end y a cheap action sequence that was written out of thin air, and by a kind of morbid curiousity on the part of viewers who tuned in to the finale to see if the season marked the death of Game of Thrones as well as of Jon Snow.

I'm not going to argue about bad writing, plots, etc. here, just the thing I am curious about is how it is assumed that the Hardhome episode was made to "save the season"? We all know the episodes are filmed before the season starts to air, so where is the logic in calling an episode "season saving" when there is no factual information in to show that the season needs saving when they are filming it?

I'm not going to argue about bad writing, plots, etc. here, just the thing I am curious about is how it is assumed that the Hardhome episode was made to "save the season"? We all know the episodes are filmed before the season starts to air, so where is the logic in calling an episode "season saving" when there is no factual information in to show that the season needs saving when they are filming it?

Lots of people make statements about television writing, filming, directing, ratings, and metrics of success without knowing the details of what they are taking about.

They knew this season was going to be slow given the source material, and having used up GRRM's existing cache of shocker moments, they had to invent one to fulfil the Episode 8/9 epic booyah tradition. "Hardhome" was a fabrication intended to compensate for what they knew was going to be a plodding season.

As they always have. Doesn't mean it was a good season.

You do realize those are direct contradictions, right? That if the ratings had plateaued 20 episodes ago they BY DEFINITION wouldn't keep breaking their own viewing records?

You do realize those are direct contradictions, right? That if the ratings had plateaued 20 episodes ago they BY DEFINITION wouldn't keep breaking their own viewing records?

Nope. You claimed (correctly) that they broke a viewing record for an episode. It is also true, however, that the show has averaged about 7 million viewers for the past two seasons, plateauing despite individual episodes sometimes doing well and sometimes sucking.

The QUALITY of the show has peaked (mostly the rancid scripts)

the ratings for episodes 1-6 did decline tho, before going up up up.

Audiences like action & consequence more than sweeping floors & rape

People do not care about the ratings unless it is going the way they want. The joy some expressed at the 5.5 people gleefully talking of D&D dismissals and than Hardhorne came and it is right back to ratings do not mean anything because it is so bad.

Okay I disagree then.

The show has lost viewership all season. It may or may not regain some fraction by the finale, but I'd say it's unlikely that it's going get back to 8 million, which will make it the first season to ever end with fewer viewers than it started with.

Now, maybe there are shows out there that had a bad year and then went back to increasing their audience, I really don't know. But, I suspect that would be an anomally and that most shows, once they start to lose viewers, don't get them back.

And, we're still stuck with the story we have, where a vast number of the most interesting/compelling/sympathetic characters have been killed and their replacements are not as interesting. And the show is stuck with that as well. Nobody is going to be tuning in next year to see what's up with Doran Martell and the sand snakes, and I doubt Euron Greyjoy is going to bring in new viewers either.

So, I'd say yes, it has peaked, other than maybe the last half of the last season depending on how the story ends and what GRRM idea of bittersweet is and how many more Starks he's killed by that time.

Turns out you're very wrong about viewership.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/timeline/e19fee3f7f034c4850e91e09e408a8de.png

A picture of each season's viewer amounts. Taken from Game of Thrones Wikipedia page.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good trolling!

I like that you managed to leave out the averages, which illustrate that the show has plateaued. I also like that all you have left is yelling "troll" at me. *slow clap*

I like that you managed to leave out the averages, which illustrate that the show has plateaued. I also like that all you have left is yelling "troll" at me. *slow clap*

There are the averages. It wasn't part of the picture and I didn't bother posting it separately until now. Also, I never claimed the show had not plateaued. It's kind of obvious even from the picture I posted. The least watched episodes in S5 had less viewers than the most watched in S3.

Seems I can't post the averages as the full list but the averages themselves are...

S1 - 2,52

S2 - 3,80

S3 - 4,97

S4 - 6,85

S5 - 6,88

If you're interested in the individual view amounts for each episode see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_Thrones

I'm happy that the show is getting bigger and bigger in terms of ratings, despite the whining book fanatics who claimed that the show had peaked and was over. Game of Thrones is a cultural phenomenon, its season 5 finale was the most watched episode ever, and let's face it, the peak will be the series finale (with the BIG battle, and the fate of the many characters revealed).

Now the haters can hate.

Archived