[BOOK AND SHOW SPOILERS] Has the show peaked?

Zyxw

That's not what you said. But you're a troll, so yeah., you were wrong and everyone except you knows it.

"The show has plateaued in terms of ratings" is a direct quote - verbatim what I said, and the show has in fact plateaued in terms of ratings.

"The show has plateaued in terms of ratings" is a direct quote - verbatim what I said, and the show has in fact plateaued in terms of ratings.

Seriously Troll...I'm not trying to humiliate you all the time, but you gotta stop making it so easy:

"This is why you see veiwership plummenting with Game of Thrones Season 5"

Guess what half-wit troll said that?

Borodin, People don't love Transformers. It has good figures because lots of people go to see a big spectacle. That doesn't mean it is loved.

But a lot of people do love Game of Thrones. Very much.

And Transformers audience are a very specific demographic, and they are not liked by the critics at all.

Unlike Game of Thrones which has a demographic spread across the whole spectrum of humanity, age sex, colour whatever, and it generally very liked by critics, bloggers, ratings sites, cosplayers, new book fans, old book fans, fantasy fans, non-fantasy fans, and people just wanting a quiet night in watching it with their mates.

Seems silly to just wilfully ignore all that for a lazy comparison.

Borodin, People don't love Transformers. It has good figures because lots of people go to see a big spectacle. That doesn't mean it is loved.

But a lot of people do love Game of Thrones. Very much.

And Transformers audience are a very specific demographic, and they are not liked by the critics at all.

I only bring up the comparison when people cite viewership/piracy as evidence of the shows quality.

If people want to rest the argument on something else, like the opinions of critics, that's a different argument, to which I would respond differently.

Seriously Troll...I'm not trying to humiliate you all the time, but you gotta stop making it so easy:

"This is why you see veiwership plummenting with Game of Thrones Season 5"

Guess what half-wit troll said that?

That is literally what happened up until the Hardhome episode. The show dropped viewers constantly each week from 8 million viewers (episode 1) to 5.4 million (episode 7).

Use many metrics is the fair way. And then argue about the weighting I guess. My point would be that GoT scores highly across the board in whatever metric you want to use, even if you take the opinion of hardcore fans (judging by the high scores in the episode ratings on this the most hardcore of sites of any fandom anywhere ever).

My opinion was that the actual rating would plateau somewhat once everyone who was going to caught up with the box sets, which I guess was just prior to this season. But I don't see them dropping next year (although if Jon is really dead that may actually make a difference imo).

That is literally what happened up until the Hardhome episode. The show dropped viewers constantly each week from 8 million viewers (episode 1) to 5.4 million (episode 7).

Indeed. If it wasn't for the last three episodes the ratings would have dipped slightly from the previous season, though still plateaued in the grand scheme of things. TheLeviathan73 it too busy playing gotcha to actually come up with arguments.

But then they rebounded with. Sex. Action. Dragons. An entire season of mediocre muddle wiped out, OMG Sansa raped. OMG Hardome zombie battle. OMG dragon battle. And they exceeded the premier numbers.

So, D&D's way of doing the show is what people want. WOW. They can now call this season a success and there will no reason for any re evaluation of their story telling, script writing, choreography or anything. It will go on as it was.

Indeed. If it wasn't for the last three episodes the ratings would have dipped slightly from the previous season, though still plateaued in the grand scheme of things. TheLeviathan73 it too busy playing gotcha to actually come up with arguments.

I wouldn't have to play gotcha if you weren't a lying troll.

Personnally I see more and more blogs, and specialized critics being very critical of the show (for different reasons going from sexual violence concerns to book purism to plot inconsistancies rants to bad writing, etc..).

I don't think it's really a debate this season was the lowest quality, no matter the number of viewers, even in the unsullied circles, only the Hardome episode having got some serious praise.

Mainstream press is just a little slower at turning against something they praised so much, especially something coming from Saint HBO - haven't they took 5 years to realise True Blood was mostly bad writing and crap ?-, but I don't doubt they'll follow the trend, and I wouldn't be too confident about season 6 welcome, if I was D&D.

Next year all guns will be out, another season like this one won't get a free pass.

Use many metrics is the fair way. And then argue about the weighting I guess. My point would be that GoT scores highly across the board in whatever metric you want to use, even if you take the opinion of hardcore fans (judging by the high scores in the episode ratings on this the most hardcore of sites of any fandom anywhere ever).

GoT scores high in entertainment value, yes. Which is what the vast majority of metrics are in fact measuring. The masses like to be entertained, and professional critics are paid to tell the masses that they are correct to be entertained (though an abysmal Season 5 strained even that mandate). No one is really arguing that the show has failed to be a really entertaining bit of television.

You hear a different story when you read/listen to critics who understand the books and the show, and who are not paid to affirm the shock-addition of mass audiences - an informed audience. I think measures of the show's entertainment value must be considered in light of what informed audiences have to say. In this respect, we see that entertainment can only do so much.

Personnally I see more and more blogs, and specialized critics being very critical of the show (for different reasons going from sexual violence concerns to book purism to plot inconsistancies rants to bad writing, etc..).

I don't think it's really a debate this season was the lowest quality, no matter the number of viewers, even in the unsullied circles, only the Hardome episode having got some serious praise.

Mainstream press is just a little slower at turning against something they praised so much, especially something coming from Saint HBO - haven't they took 5 years to realise True Blood was mostly bad writing and crap ?-, but I don't doubt they'll follow the trend, and I wouldn't be too confident about season 6 welcome, if I was D&D.

Next year all guns will be out, another season like this one won't get a free pass.

Except that after every single season finale I have read the "next year the ratings surely will drop" prediction... And here we are. Most watched season so far. I'm not saying that the show is better than ever, because clearly is not, but nobody can deny that the show is hugely successful in terms of audience and remains HBO's flagship, like it or not. That said, I think that if Jon Snow is really dead, there's a good chance of a rating nosedive next season. Lot of people are angry and depressed right now, and there is a limit to what the audience can endure.

Except that after every single season finale I have read the "next year the ratings surely will drop" prediction... And here we are. Most watched season so far. I'm not saying that the show is better than ever, because clearly is not, but nobody can deny that the show is hugely successful in terms of audience and remains HBO's flagship, like it or not.

Oh I'm not saying the show will lose half its viewers and be cancelled.

Simply the difference between GOT fans and Transformers fans someone was making above, using professionnal critics positive opinion as proof, is likely not to stand for long imo.

(by the way I'm a transformer-got-fan I don't plan to stop watching GoT because I'm sure it will at least give me good laughs and occasionnal well done spectacular moments)

Obviously, the answer to the question posed in the title of this thread is a resounding "no." Once again, it is completely fair to have your own opinion of the show and not like this season - but people need to stop projecting their own opinion onto everyone else. Aside from the Sansa stuff - a mistep by the show writers - the season was loved by nearly everyone outside of these forums. By any metric whatsoever, the show has not yet peaked.

Except that after every single season finale I have read the "next year the ratings surely will drop" prediction... And here we are. Most watched season so far.

I've never read anyone saying ratings are going to drop.

Ratings have plateaued. The show has had a little under 7 million viewers for the past two seasons in a row. The record-breaking season finale was marred by the fact that episode 6 not only did worse that episode 6, it did worse than episode 6 from the previous season. In fact, it did even worse that episode 6 from two seasons ago when the average viewership was 4.97 million. The show tanked.

It tanked because of terrible writing. It was saved in the end y a cheap action sequence that was written out of thin air, and by a kind of morbid curiousity on the part of viewers who tuned in to the finale to see if the season marked the death of Game of Thrones as well as of Jon Snow.

I've always found arguments such as these to be tedious. Quality is subjective. Some of us like the show, others don't, and that is completely ok. None of us are right, and none of us are wrong. It's just our opinions.

Yes, but some opinions are backed by good arguments having to do with plot coherence, consistency, and character arcs, motivation, etc, while others are backed by mere assertion and shrugging.

You have the right to an opinion, but you do not have the right to have your opinion accepted as valid without good arguments supporting it.

Obviously, the answer to the question posed in the title of this thread is a resounding "no." Once again, it is completely fair to have your own opinion of the show and not like this season - but people need to stop projecting their own opinion onto everyone else. Aside from the Sansa stuff - a mistep by the show writers - the season was loved by nearly everyone outside of these forums. By any metric whatsoever, the show has not yet peaked.

No point arguing with this half-wit troll. It's only fun to show him being a hypocrite really.

Yes, but some opinions are backed by good arguments having to do with plot coherence, consistency, and character arcs, motivation, etc, while others are backed by mere assertion and shrugging.

You have the right to an opinion, but you do not have the right to have your opinion accepted as valid without good arguments supporting it.

And who gets to decide what's a good argument and what's a bad argument? You? Hardhome, for instance. I thought it was superb because it allowed us to see the wildlings in a different light and how the different wildling clans reacted differently to Jon Snow's offer. It also showed us who the real enemy is and how pointless the War of Five Kings truly is. I enjoyed the dialogue used at the war council and especially liked the characterization of Karsi. And this doesn't even include all the other storylines, such as Cersei's imprisonment, Theon breaking his Reek persona for a second, the birth of Lana of the Canals, etc. And yet you continue to downgrade my argument to, "It was a flashy fight sequence, and that's why you liked it."

Archived