Why did Roose want Barristan dead?

Stormborn36

Not sure if this has been talked about, but this is something that has always stood out to me. Martin goes out of his way to express that during Robert's Rebellion, Roose Bolton counseled that Robert should slash Selmy's throat. Now... This could be your basic, logical explanation in that Selmy was a loyal guy to who he originally served and could cause issues. However, the fact that George goes out of his way to say that it was Roose who suggested killing Selmy really intrigues me. Anyone have any thoughts on why? Is it just the simple assumption or does anyone have any interesting ideas? Crackpot or not.

I mentioned this in another thread about Roose, and someone mentioned that maybe this was GRRM's way of showing that deep down (well, not that deep) Roose and Ramsay are not that different and that maybe back then Roose didn't have the "peaceful land, quiet people" rule and wasn't the subtle, soft-speaking guy he is now

I mentioned this in another thread about Roose, and someone mentioned that maybe this was GRRM's way of showing that deep down (well, not that deep) Roose and Ramsay are not that different and that maybe back then Roose didn't have the "peaceful land, quiet people" rule and wasn't the subtle, soft-speaking guy he is now

No way he was ever as deranged as Ramsay, or else his head would have been lopped off by the Stark in Winterfell

Maybe, and I may be going on a limb here, it was because when Robert is thinking of the prestige of having Barristan the Bold at his side, when Ned is thinking of his precious honour and not wanting to kill an unarmed, wounded man, Roose is thinking about that time when Barristan stood and watched as 200 Northmen were butchered at King's Landing because the king felt like it? Maybe a Northern lord might be just a tiny bit pissed about it? Maybe, just maybe, Barristan is seen at the time as exactly what he is? A man who only cares about his white armor and the prestige? A man who leads forces to war for his prince's right to kidnap and rape a Northern woman?

Barristan should have died on that field. Roose was only saying out loud what the other Northmen were undoubtedly thinking.

Maybe, and I may be going on a limb here, it was because when Robert is thinking of the prestige of having Barristan the Bold at his side, when Ned is thinking of his precious honour and not wanting to kill an unarmed, wounded man, Roose is thinking about that time when Barristan stood and watched as 200 Northmen were butchered at King's Landing because the king felt like it? Maybe a Northern lord might be just a tiny bit pissed about it? Maybe, just maybe, Barristan is seen at the time as exactly what he is? A man who only cares about his white armor and the prestige? A man who leads forces to war for his prince's right to kidnap and rape a Northern woman?

Barristan should have died on that field. Roose was only saying out loud what the other Northmen were undoubtedly thinking.

Seeing as Roose later arranged/ordered the slaughter of thousands of Northmen...

Seeing as Roose later arranged/ordered the slaughter of thousands of Northmen...

Does'nt change the fact that he can still give a legitimate offer in a completely different scenario. Aerys was mad, and Barristan defended his right to be a mad tyrant. Like most Northmen, Roose is likely to have had an issue with that, and Barristan later shows that he did not change, he cares only about the white armor and the prestige of the job and goes from Robert's son and heir to Dany. Offering to slit his throat was a solid advice at the time.

From a narrative perspective, the author is telling us something about Roose's nature in advance of his betrayal. I'm pretty sure that's what Martin meant to achieve and there is nothing more to it.

ETA: By the same token, he's telling us something about Robert's nature.

Roose is simply being Roose, but honestly the majority in real life medieval war would have done the same if the knight (extremely dangerous in this case) would not surrender his cause...

But the scene is brought up by Ned to tell Renly that mercy was never a wrong thing to give, and Robert gave plenty...

I thought it was the appropriate reaction.

Ser Barristan is a badass, probably the most dangerous knight in the realm and possibly the most accomplished knight since Ser Duncan the Tall. IMO there were only 2 options: kill Ser Barristan or pardon him and let him join your side.

Joffrey dismissed Ser Barristan and look what happened...Ser Barristan joined the enemy.

Archived