What If Cersei and Ned are married?

LordUltimus

I've seen a few fanfics (of varying quality) where Cersei and Ned are married to another, so I thought I'd put that out there. Could it happen? Would Cersei change or not? And if we place butterfly nets and assume that the Stark kids are still born with similar personalities, how would they change under Cersei's mothering?

Not to mention Jon...

Ned at least would have treated her properly, and not said Lyanna's name on their wedding night.

Under those circumstances, Cersei might have done a bit better.

You mean he would've said Ashara's name.

I do think Ned could have turned Cersei around possibly. But the thing is she was always messed up from when she was a young kid. It is likely she would've been unhappy with Rhaegar. She only loves things that are a reflection of her own beauty and strength but not more. She was fine with Jaime until he became a handicap and became a lesser man to her. But she can't stand those who surpass her in beauty either like Margaery. So I think any marriage with Cersei would still most likely end up in disaster

Well Cersei allegedly tried to make it work with Robert the first year of their marriage, but because of the negatives from Robert, i.e. being hung up on Lyanna, she eventually just came to hate Robert. I don't think Ned would contribute to a negative marriage. So it could potentially turn out to be a fairly good marriage. But on the other hand Cersei is vain, ambitious, tyrannical, etc. Which could really sour things. However, many of those thing could have been perpetuated by the politics in Kingslanding, while in the relative isolation of Winterfell they might have been smothered. Also Jaime wouldn't have been there so she would have been low on options for lovers, possibly keeping her loyal to Ned. All in all I think it could go either way.

Well, Tywin would have objected to the marriage, but if Rob & Co had been more harsh after the war, I could see it happening.

The North is not a place for Lannisters; the people there is hard like the winters, Cersei would regret having to live in a more modest castle, far from any city and a place with alien traditions to her... Maybe being far in the North would have kept her tyrannical and bat-shit crazy side dormant, but she was already too mad before that. She would likely still neglect her children, although I believe she wouldn't sleep around since Ned would be loyal to her.

Ned was also hardly her type; he wouldn't have messed up like Robert which could have led to them at least having a civil relationship, but love I don't think so... Cat said that love didn't came immediately to their relationship, and Cat was far more comprehensive and lenient than Cersei.

Now, the Lannister-Stark joining on itself would have been something to reckon; the two oldest families among the great houses being in charge of over half the realm and having control over lots of resources and two of the main ports of Westeros would make any of those Starks quite powerful since they would also be heirs to the Rock considering that Tyrion would have been skipped.

Ned at least would have treated her properly, and not said Lyanna's name on their wedding night.

In this case, perhaps Cersei whispers Jaime's instead.

But if he did, Cerise would have been - 'Oh, so that's how it is in your family too? Sweet, we can be the incestuous swingers!'

dmc515 - you beat me to it by mere seconds :D

a- Its naive to think that Tywin wouldn't consider a match between Eddard and Cersei. The North is enormous and it holds great political ties to the Vale, the Stormlands and the Riverlands. After the mad king turned down the match between Cersei and Rhaegar, the chances of her marrying the future king were remote. If the Loyalists won, Elia would become queen, if the rebels won, there's every chance that Lyanna (she was in Rhaegar and not Aerys hands so the chances of him killing her was remote) would be queen. I dont think Tywin was granted the gift of seeing the future.

b- Cersei is vane and spoiled but she's not Joffrey. God knows how she would have become if she had a true loving husband instead of an oaf. Also with Cersei in Winterfell there would be no incest and Cersei's children would be Eddards. Robert on the other hand would probably marry within a minor family (Margaery and Arriane were still too young and there's no way Balon would allow him to marry Asha) leaving him in a vulnerable position.

In my opinion this would happen

a- Cersei marries Eddard

b- the Lannisters will join the rebellion earlier, convincing the Freys to do the same. Aerys is killed through poisoning (Pycelle), the war will end up earlier and Lyanna will probably be rescued.

c- Robert will either marry Lyanna or repute her (Rhaegar's child and all that). However considering the political clout Eddard has (Vale, Westerlands, North, Riverlands) and how loyal he was to the cause he won't kill Lyanna or her child. Lyanna ends up marrying a minor lord. She would be perfect for Roose Bolton (not even Ramsey would dare touching her or her kids as he would have the entire North searching for him). If Robert doesn't marry Lyanna then he will probably marry someone from a minor lord (Margaery and Arianne are too young and Balon would never accept a marriage between Robert and Asha)

d- While Eddard is busy fighting Robert's war, Cersei will have all the time to give his children the 'Lannister' uprbringing. Grandpa Tywin will make sure that all the Starks children will have good marriage matchups, possibly with the Tyrells

e- Jamie will probably leave the Kingsguard and marry someone (Margaery?)

f- The Lannisters will be reluctant to bankroll the king's excesses. Robert will either have his son marry in the Starks family quickly or else he risks a rebellion that he will most certainly lose.

Imagine the scene.

Cersei is depressed after the walk of shame. She recalls all the humiliations and suffering she had passed from including Joffrey's death and being married to Robert

"I cant go on!" she says. ". All I've done was a big mistake, marrying Robert, having sex with my brother. If only I had a second chance, I'll choose happiness and not ambition"

"But you've got a second chance"

Qyburn appears with an elixir in his hands. "Drink this and you'll go back in the past"

Cersei takes the bottle and drinks the potion at one go. She abandon herself to sleep wondering whether its going to kill her.

She wakes up at Casterly rock. A much younger Jamie is besides her. She walks to the mirror and smiles

"Im young again" she said

Jamie grabs her from behind

"So do you love me sister?" he says

"Of course not, you creepy fool!" she says and rushes to her father chambers.

Her father is at his desk. He's in a foul mood as Aerys had turned down the match between Rhaegar and her

"Father I need to talk"

Her father looks at her

"What do you want?"

"I want to marry Eddard Stark"

"What? The Stark second son?"

Cersei sits on her father laps. "Dad, a big storm is arriving. Without you, the mad king is bound to cause a civil ward and Eddard will the horse we should be betting on, think about it"

Tywin closes his eyes. The girl is right. Aerys paranoia will cause a war and with the Starks busy sealing alliances with the Baratheons, the Riverlands and the Arryns this may turn out to be a great alliance"

"Very well, I'll contact the Starks immediately"

--------------

Few months later the Lannisters reach Winterfell for the wedding. The weather is as horrible as ever, however Cersei is happy. "Happiness before marriage remember?" she said to herself. Eddard receives Cersei. "He's not as cute as Robert is, however he'll age better" she said to herself. Lyanna is also there with Robert.

The ceremony is somehow simple and Eddard is convinced by Robert to drink a bit too much. After the ceremony a drunk Eddard reaches her wedding bed

"Are you happy girl?" he said

She nods

"Ok then, lets see what we have here"

He moves towards her too tired to make anything. He whispers in her ear

"Oh Robert" and sleeps

Archived