What If Cersei and Ned are married?

LordUltimus

You mean he would've said Ashara's name.

I do think Ned could have turned Cersei around possibly. But the thing is she was always messed up from when she was a young kid. It is likely she would've been unhappy with Rhaegar. She only loves things that are a reflection of her own beauty and strength but not more. She was fine with Jaime until he became a handicap and became a lesser man to her. But she can't stand those who surpass her in beauty either like Margaery. So I think any marriage with Cersei would still most likely end up in disaster

LOL. I hope we do get the dirt on that little situation before the series ends.

Remember though that she got that awful fortune at the age of ten. If she'd married Ned she would have been able to put to rest all that valonqar and YMBQ stuff. I think Ned could have handled her far better than Robert did, and thus steadied her a bit. In turn she might have lightened him up just a bit.

I'm really enjoying this thread, by the way. The lighthearted responses are fun...and funny!

Take the Black.... no....

Behead himse.... damnit....

He would have joined Jorah on Essos when the time came.

LOL. I hope we do get the dirt on that little situation before the series ends.

Remember though that she got that awful fortune at the age of ten. If she'd married Ned she would have been able to put to rest all that valonqar and YMBQ stuff. I think Ned could have handled her far better than Robert did, and thus steadied her a bit. In turn she might have lightened him up just a bit.

I'm really enjoying this thread, by the way. The lighthearted responses are fun...and funny!

I doubt this greatly. Her vanity and greed tend to swell at slights, and for someone that became the Lady of the Warden of the North, whom is neither rich or handsome, rather than the Queen would probably be a really big letdown in her mind. I agree that Ned has a more insightful personality than Robert and could be better equipped to deal with her personality, but Cersei might have hated him more than Robert. Look at all the Lannisters she brought to the capital to gain offices and power.... how would Ned's more humble personality clash with one of the most proud individuals on the continent?

...'A Game of Thrones' hasn't been written?

The story we probably would have gotten would be something like "Ned occupies the inner wall of Winterfell while Cersei occupies the outer walls. We don't know who will outlast the other in what will be the longest siege in the history of the North."

The Starks might change their words to "Winter has come" considering how chilly that marriage would be.

I actually think it could have had a pretty positive outcome for everyone involved; except for maybe Jaime.

The obvious first change is that Robert would have married a woman that would have given him true born sons. This means there is no Joffrey and I'm fairly certain that Robert would have still moved for some kind of marriage alliance between his child and meds child.

I think the only difference for Ned is he would have had a wife that had a little more fire than cat. She probably if anything would make ned into a man of passion; or at least more than he already is. One thing to think about is considering how Ned's children turned out with cat so I can only imagine what the stark/lannister kids would've been like.

I personally think that cercei would've been actually happy. First because she would have had a real man as hard yet tender as Ned. Also it would have forced her to adapt to northern life away from gold, lannister influence, and court life.

I don't know about Jaime though. I don't think ned would have been able to convince his new wife or Robert to force Jaime from the kings guard to the nights watch. I think ned would have taken an even less active role after the war and Robert most likely just reinstated Jaime to casterly rock.

Take the Black.... no....

Behead himse.... damnit....

He would have joined Jorah on Essos when the time came.

I doubt this greatly. Her vanity and greed tend to swell at slights, and for someone that became the Lady of the Warden of the North, whom is neither rich or handsome, rather than the Queen would probably be a really big letdown in her mind. I agree that Ned has a more insightful personality than Robert and could be better equipped to deal with her personality, but Cersei might have hated him more than Robert. Look at all the Lannisters she brought to the capital to gain offices and power.... how would Ned's more humble personality clash with one of the most proud individuals on the continent?

I don't know about not being rich. If measured by the standards of Tywin, nobody in Westeros is rich. The Starks may not be as rich as the Lannisters or the Tyrells but they're top-tier nobility and aren't exactly short of cash.

Are you happy girl?" he said

She nods

"Ok then, lets see what we have here"

He moves towards her too tired to make anything. He whispers in her ear

"Oh Robert" and sleeps

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I actually think it could have had a pretty positive outcome for everyone involved; except for maybe Jaime.

The obvious first change is that Robert would have married a woman that would have given him true born sons. This means there is no Joffrey and I'm fairly certain that Robert would have still moved for some kind of marriage alliance between his child and meds child.

I think the only difference for Ned is he would have had a wife that had a little more fire than cat. She probably if anything would make ned into a man of passion; or at least more than he already is. One thing to think about is considering how Ned's children turned out with cat so I can only imagine what the stark/lannister kids would've been like.

I personally think that cercei would've been actually happy. First because she would have had a real man as hard yet tender as Ned. Also it would have forced her to adapt to northern life away from gold, lannister influence, and court life.

I don't know about Jaime though. I don't think ned would have been able to convince his new wife or Robert to force Jaime from the kings guard to the nights watch. I think ned would have taken an even less active role after the war and Robert most likely just reinstated Jaime to casterly rock.

There are quite a few posts that are suggesting that this pair would have righted all the wrongs of the series.

I think that is a huge over simplification of the conflicts we're reading about. While it's clear that Robert and Cersei were poison together, that didn't happen because they were thrown together but because they were poison already, all on their own. Putting them with other people will change some things but not the overall themes they are representing.

If everything in the story is exactly the same as it is now except that Ned is married to Cersei, we still have a disillusioned warrior who is neither prepared nor interested in being king. We still have an entitled, borderline psychotic, Lannister who is bitter about the sexism she faces and obsessed with gaining power. Cersei shows how she thinks of herself and others when she abuses baby Tyrion, threatens or punishes servants brutally and when she kills Malera all before the age of 13. Now, it is very likely that her future will be completely different and probably at lot less grim, but it's not knowledge of her future that prompts her to take out Malera, so it doesn't really matter what she's told.

We also have Cersei primed to be at Court. I don't see her being happy in the North or making it her home as Cat did. So her frustrations still exist but for different reasons. And who would she take them out on? Ned, most likely. I think she would try very hard to dominate Ned.

Jaime would be in KL so it's likely that she would give Ned true born children but this is also not the source of her current problems (although her bastards will most likely be the cause of her future problems in the books). I think she and Ned would not be a good pairing regardless of the fact that Ned would not abuse her. Finally, Cersei would never accept Jon and that would drive a huge rift between her and Ned.

People always believe another person will change someone. That is almost always false. Adults change if they want to and even then, it's hard to change some of our most habitual actions. Expecting Ned's kind heart to placate Cersei is insane. She doesn't want a kind husband. She wants power. And Robert would be equally as lost, regardless of who he married since it most likely would not be Lyanna.

Imagine the scene.

Cersei is depressed after the walk of shame. She recalls all the humiliations and suffering she had passed from including Joffrey's death and being married to Robert

"I cant go on!" she says. ". All I've done was a big mistake, marrying Robert, having sex with my brother. If only I had a second chance, I'll choose happiness and not ambition"

"But you've got a second chance"

Qyburn appears with an elixir in his hands. "Drink this and you'll go back in the past"

Cersei takes the bottle and drinks the potion at one go. She abandon herself to sleep wondering whether its going to kill her.

She wakes up at Casterly rock. A much younger Jamie is besides her. She walks to the mirror and smiles

"Im young again" she said

Jamie grabs her from behind

"So do you love me sister?" he says

"Of course not, you creepy fool!" she says and rushes to her father chambers.

Her father is at his desk. He's in a foul mood as Aerys had turned down the match between Rhaegar and her

"Father I need to talk"

Her father looks at her

"What do you want?"

"I want to marry Eddard Stark"

"What? The Stark second son?"

Cersei sits on her father laps. "Dad, a big storm is arriving. Without you, the mad king is bound to cause a civil ward and Eddard will the horse we should be betting on, think about it"

Tywin closes his eyes. The girl is right. Aerys paranoia will cause a war and with the Starks busy sealing alliances with the Baratheons, the Riverlands and the Arryns this may turn out to be a great alliance"

"Very well, I'll contact the Starks immediately"

--------------

Few months later the Lannisters reach Winterfell for the wedding. The weather is as horrible as ever, however Cersei is happy. "Happiness before marriage remember?" she said to herself. Eddard receives Cersei. "He's not as cute as Robert is, however he'll age better" she said to herself. Lyanna is also there with Robert.

The ceremony is somehow simple and Eddard is convinced by Robert to drink a bit too much. After the ceremony a drunk Eddard reaches her wedding bed

"Are you happy girl?" he said

She nods

"Ok then, lets see what we have here"

He moves towards her too tired to make anything. He whispers in her ear

"Oh Robert" and sleeps

:bowdown:

I actually think that this might have worked. Eddard would allow a woman's desires up to a point. He takes Cat's counsel seriously. Jon Snow would have stayed, regardless of Cersei's feelings.

Cersei could have brought in influences from the South and banded the Northerners closer to each other via a court at Winterfell. It might have also increased inland trade which would have been something good for the North.

<snip

Her vanity and greed might not have gotten quite as bad if she hadn't been given the position of queen though. And without Maggy's fortune hanging over her head she wouldn't be constantly looking over her shoulder wondering if this person who insulted her or that person who insulted her was going to kill one of her kids, thus hastening her own death. She also wouldn't have had that husband who had 16 kids while she had three.

Yes, Cersei might have ended up hating him even more than Robert. That is certainly possible. But I think Ned would have known how to put his foot down without hurting or humiliating her, and that might have helped at least a little. Ned may be humble but he's a much stronger person than Robert is. Robert would bluster and promise to do this and that awful thing and then do nothing. Ned would never make empty threats. Of course that might even infuriate Cersei more.

I'm not certain Tywin would let Cersei bring a large Lannister contingent to Winterfell. He'd allow her some support, I'm sure. But he would have been putting more eggs into the King's Landing basket and then maybe hoping to wed one of Cersei or Jaime's daughters to Robert's first son. That way he still gets Lannister blood into the royal house of Westeros. Tywin might also have trusted Ned to know how to rule, whereas he knew Robert was not going to be a great administrator.

Her vanity and greed might not have gotten quite as bad if she hadn't been given the position of queen though. And without Maggy's fortune hanging over her head she wouldn't be constantly looking over her shoulder wondering if this person who insulted her or that person who insulted her was going to kill one of her kids, thus hastening her own death. She also wouldn't have had that husband who had 16 kids while she had three.

But Cersei had quite a lot of vanity and greed long before Maggy's fortune. That's why having a different husband would alleviate some of the topical issues but not the core problems that eventually cause her downfall. She is a very mean and arrogant child who constantly threatens people with what her father will do to them if they don't do what she wants. By the time teenage Cersei meets Maggy, she's already committed some horrible acts. By the time she marries Robert, it's already too late. Her character has been set and nothing seems to impact her or persuade her to rethink her actions.

:lmao:

Seriously, It would never work. Cersei is what she is. She is mad. And she was before she married Robert.

He would return her to Casterlyrock. Or send her to the Silent Sisters' and take the Black himself.

I don't think she's mad. But she is incompetent and gets more so as she sinks deeper into alcoholism

But Cersei had quite a lot of vanity and greed long before Maggy's fortune. That's why having a different husband would alleviate some of the topical issues but not the core problems that eventually cause her downfall. She is a very mean and arrogant child who constantly threatens people with what her father will do to them if they don't do what she wants. By the time teenage Cersei meets Maggy, she's already committed some horrible acts. By the time she marries Robert, it's already too late. Her character has been set and nothing seems to impact her or persuade her to rethink her actions.

True. Marrying Robert only made her worse. I was just thinking she might not have gotten AS BAD with Ned as a husband instead.

Robert and Cersei, much like Aerys and Rhaella, were guaranteed disaster. Okay actually WORSE than Aerys and Rhaella.

if Lyanna was alive and was marry to Robert, Tywin would have his daughter marry someone he would approve of, a younger version of himself. That person would be Stannis.Tywin respect Stannis, Stannis is not a drunken fool which means that Stannis wouldn't make a mockery of the Lannister's legacy. Shireen might still be born, she would look and act more like ShowShireen. Stannis and Cersei's marriage would be a fun thing to see.Cersei might like that Stannis doesn't abuse her or cheat on her.Her interaction with Patchface would also be fun to see. Jaimie won't be there because he with Robert. Ned and Cersei would not work because Stark are powerful, but being the brother of the king give you more status than warden of the North.

It would be atrocious. Cersei is an abusive, cruel megalomaniac. She would never be content to trade Rhaegar and the queenship she thought she deserved to live in the cold, grim and relatively humble North with a husband who fulfills his duty and has no ambitions outside being a competent ruler to his people and a good husband and father. To say she could brighten him up is very wrong imo. Cersei is a miserable and bitter piece of shit, even before she married Robert. Only Jaime and Kevan thought of her as a ray of sunshine and were proven wrong. Ned is just a serious and understandably melancholic man. Catelyn's decency and kindness were the things he needed to be happier, not a hotblooded lunatic.

"The Others take my wife." - Eddark Stark

I have to say, I keep coming back to this as the best post in the thread. Well done, Daen!

if Lyanna was alive and was marry to Robert, Tywin would have his daughter marry someone he would approve of, a younger version of himself. That person would be Stannis.Tywin respect Stannis, Stannis is not a drunken fool which means that Stannis wouldn't make a mockery of the Lannister's legacy. Shireen might still be born, she would look and act more like ShowShireen. Stannis and Cersei's marriage would be a fun thing to see.Cersei might like that Stannis doesn't abuse her or cheat on her.Her interaction with Patchface would also be fun to see. Jaimie won't be there because he with Robert. Ned and Cersei would not work because Stark are powerful, but being the brother of the king give you more status than warden of the North.

"...and probably Patchface for all I know."

Archived