Ryan Gosling's desirability, and other confounding entertainment phenomena

Quorra

First, a Welcome:

This is the thread where you discuss the widely popular actors, actresses, directors, movies, and various entertainment phenomena that you, seemingly alone, like a be-shaded "Rowdy" Roddy Piper in They Live, can see for the mind-manipulating aliens they truly are. Or, at least you don't get what all the big whoop is about.

I don't think Ryan Gosling is really all that great

No one believes me when I say this - they think I'm trying to be contrary, or just attempting to flatter the men in the presence of my claimed incredulity - but I don't get the big deal over Ryan Gosling.

I don't! Obviously, if I saw him in person I'd acknowledge his appeal, maybe, and I recognize that he's handsome in the world of men. I'm not denying that. But he's not that more attractive than any other Hollywood actor. He's just kind of a nasally, wiener-y, weak-eyed little dude.

I thought he did a fantastic job in Blue Valentine, Half Nelson, and in Lars and The Real Girl - but those were also good movies; his roles in them were part of a larger good product. I also suspect that half the ladies circulating those "Hey Girl..." memes haven't seen those movies.

Granted, I didn't see The Notebook. Is that where he blew up the hotness richter scale? This selection of him as the recipient of so much mass admiration seems arbitrary and perpetuated by the momentum of its own enthusiasm more than his doing.

Pseudo-intellectual theory/You can stop reading now if you want/ Maybe this is bigger than Ryan Gosling and it goes deeper to reveal a societal rule:

Perhaps I miss the point of the detached popularity defining mass enthusiastic embracing of a cultural icon. Perhaps the real point is not that Ryan Gosling is super dreamy, it's that a community is being formed.

People like to feel in agreement on things, it means we won't kill each other. But how can we know that we're in agreement and won't kill each other? You can't ask someone "Are you going to kill me? / Can I trust that you are a human like me?" So something is chosen to be celebrated together, by all, that we all must agree on; something not too challenging or polarizing, something bland and vanilla, like ...like a nasally, wiener-y, weak-eyed little dude!

Together, if we can all just agree on something small and arbitrary like Ryan Gosling, then we can trust one another on the important things like ethics and societal order, and that we're humans and not Replicants.

It doesn't matter if I actually, in my heart and soul, think Ryan Gosling is dreamy, or if The Godfather is any good (more on that later), or anything else about my opinion. What matters is that I acknowledge that Ryan Gosling has been deemed dreamy. And I guess the proof is in the deeming.

Granted, I didn't see The Notebook. Is that where he blew up the hotness richter scale? This selection of him as the recipient of so much mass admiration seems arbitrary and perpetuated by the momentum of its own enthusiasm more than his doing.

There's your problem right there. I think his reputation as more than just another Hollywood prettyboy was more or less cemented in this flick. The chemistry between himself and Rachel McAdams in that movie kind of elevated it past your standard romantic story. That plus James Garner playing his older self. On top of that, I think he's a fairly versatile actor. He's shown that he has pretty decent comic timing (Crazy, Stupid, Love) He can play the tough guy (Driver) and of course, the romantic lead. Let's just say you could do a lot worse than Ryan Gosling in the leading man category.

Is he still even in the cool club? I know the Hollywood beast chews them up and spits them out pretty fast.

Of course he might not be much of a thinker and hasn't said anything controversial that would get him kicked out of the inner circle.

being plain politically correct whitebread without much to say let's you stay in the club for a while.

There's your problem right there. I think his reputation as more than just another Hollywood prettyboy was more or less cemented in this flick. The chemistry between himself and Rachel McAdams in that movie kind of elevated it past your standard romantic story. That plus James Garner playing his older self. On top of that, I think he's a fairly versatile actor. He's shown that he has pretty decent comic timing (Crazy, Stupid, Love) He can play the tough guy (Driver) and of course, the romantic lead. Let's just say you could do a lot worse than Ryan Gosling in the leading man category.

He's also great in Blue Valentine, though that's a really rather depressing movie.

Drive was a terrible movie, and he was lame in it. So I have nothing to judge him on other than that. I heard so much about that movie but it was terribly boring.

You have awful opinions.

Can we be clear - is it his acting ability or his physical attractiveness. These are two different things for me.

Firstly, I think he looks ok. Not especially my type but he's attractive enough.

I do really like him as an actor though. Love Blue Valentine. Love Drive. Less keen on Place Beyond the Pines. Enjoyed Only God Forgives and Half Nelson. Haven't seen The Notebook. I'll go and see anything he's in probably.

Isis I'm talking about his physical attractiveness. I don't think his acting ability is good enough to make him more physically attractive, and his looks aren't good enough to sell me on those alone. He makes ladies swoon. It's got to be because of The Notebook. It has to be.

I don't think anyone can watch Ryan Gosling play Robert Durst in 'All Good Things' without getting aroused.

He scared the crap out of me in that movie.

He has 'star quality' though, whatever that is. He's compelling.

Archived