Ryan Gosling's desirability, and other confounding entertainment phenomena

Quorra

I can't stand Orange is the New Black. All of the critics I like and many of my friends said it was the best thing since sliced bread, so i forced myself to sit through 4 episodes. Usually I can at least see why people are raving about a show even if it's not for me but this time I felt like everyone must have taken crazy pills.

I'm also anti- superhero movie for the most part. I liked the new batman movies and I've liked some of the x men stuff, but overall it just doesn't do it for me.

Re: bram stokers Dracula ... It's supposed to be a little but tongue-in-cheek right? That is how I viewed it and I think I enjoyed it more because i was under the impression that it wasn't taking itself too seriously. But in any case, I agree with theda, the scene at the beginning where he renounces god is motherfucking glorious.

That whole movie is addictive. Watching Keanu Reeves and Wynona Ryder, who are both truly bad, Gary Oldman and Anthony Hopkins, who chew through all of the scenery, the sets, the clothes...it's all just fantastic.

Gary Oldman's wardrobe in that movie is so awesome. I love his hair and round John Lennon glasses.

ETA: I watched Orange is the New Black, but it didn't hold my attention. It was entertaining, but not enough to hold me.

Is this thread about unpopular opinions, like some people have posted, or stuff whose popularity truly make no sense to you? Because for the former there's plenty of examples of things that I think are over or underrated, but which reasons I understand (for example: Schindler's List is terrible, but it isn't hard to see why it's popular)?

If it's the latter like I suspect, then all the people complaining about superhero movies and whatnot don't belong here (you can't see why they are popular? Really)?

Anyway, here I go with my contribution to this thread: Goodfellas is one of the most overrated films of all time, and certainly the most overrated ever on the internet. Seriously, it's a good film sure, but one of out many, many movies that Scorsese did. I'd say he did a dozen or so movies just as good if not better. But on the internets? It wins 55 out 10 polls about "greatest movies of the 90's" and half of the "greatest movies of all time" ones, and for what?

Yeah Nightcrawler definitely was inspired a bit from Taxi Driver,

A LOT. Really, Louis Bloom is the lovechild of Travis Brickle and Diana Christensen from Network (the other big inspiration for Nightcrawler)

I love Dracula (FFC version). It's like a guilty pleasure. Spectacular wooden performances from most of the cast. But Gary Oldman is super hammy and awesome in it. I have the soundtrack, it's very moody. But most importantly...

THOSE COSTUMES THO

Seriously amazing work. Probably the thing I like best about the film in fact. Everyone's clothing, but especially all the glorious green things that Mina wears. <3

Is that a promise? Because if it is then thank God for that. I would prefer if it was every 100 years or so, but I'll take what I can get.

That made me laugh! This is clearly a debate for the Interstellar thread, but the visuals/ score and some of the ideas presented in the movie were really well done.

Also, I don't venture out into the TV threads. It's too scary.

Ah, it makes me laugh so many people used to hate on Kit all the time. I think he's great! Best thing about this season, to be honest. Him and Stannis.

I LOVE Stannis. As for Kit, I think he's done pretty well this season, but some parts of season 3 were rough. He hasn't been that bad, but he didn't bring too much to the table in the earlier seasons.

Of course, I'm also watching World War Z right now and kind of enjoying it, so I am not to be trusted.

To be fair, that's a decent movie. Except for the egregious product placement.

Edit: Also, comparing Interstellar to the creatively bankrupt Avatar film is unfair, imo.

Yeah Nightcrawler definitely was inspired a bit from Taxi Driver, really enjoyed both but prefer the latter. Both performances from the leads are incredible loll idk the terms are pretty interchangeable for me

:cheers: Forrest Gump is always the other one I pull out as overrated.

Oh I remember getting a bit of stick on here when I said Joseph Gordon Levitt was a shitty actor so yeah I guess that's another unpopular opinion of mine :D

Forrest Gump annoys me to no end. I hate hate hated it. I will never get those hours of my life back.

Oh; I'm not a fan of Super Hero movies at all tbh, I've tried to get into them because I want to get into geekier things and be able to take part in fun geeky conversations about them but I just don't really care much ...at all, to be honest.

Of course there are some that I really like; I used to freakin love the Toby Macguire Spider Man movies...though I haven't watched them in years....and of course KICK ASS is one of my favourite movies EVER.

I'm not massively into superhero movies either. Made a try to get into it with Thor, Avengers etc. but just not feeling it. Thought GotG was decent enough in a shallowly entertaining sort of way.

Oh right, how could I forget that I also dislike Steven Spielberg. He's technically a great director and when he tries he can do some amazing stuff (e.g. SPR as a whole is pretty mediocre, but the D-Day scene is still pretty much the best battle scene I have ever seen. Or his work on Jurassic Parc is really great, with effects that still hold up today imo), however he makes a habbit of choosing stories that are just unworthy of his directing talent. The end result is always a rather good looking film, with some good acting in it, but everything is in the end covered with such an unbearable amount of schmaltz that it makes me gag.

I latched on to Bane from the start. He's really the only thing in the entire movie worth watching. I remember seeing tDKR again some time after it came out, I gave up after about 30 minutes and I just skipped to all scenes Tom Hardy was in and then I just stopped the movie.

Well, here people agree with me (big thumbs up for us all :) ), but go to a forum for Unsullied and Jon is the man, with "awesome" sword moves on offer for the boys and great hair for the girls (everyone satisfied).

I read a review of GoTG once where the reviewer wrote that the MCU is basically the cinematic equivalent of fast food. It's always the same and usually just not bad enough to fool you into coming back for more.

Is that a promise? Because if it is then thank God for that. I would prefer if it was every 100 years or so, but I'll take what I can get.

I doubt it's a promise. Isn't there an Avatar 2 coming sometime in the near future? :p

On the topic of GoT actors, I really really don't link Peter Dinklage. I think he is hugely overrated...

Decided to check out Interstellar because of this thread, and wow... that was hot garbage. Love is the one thing that transcends time and space? Jesus Christ. It's not even emotionally manipulative, unless it was trying to manipulate me into the emotion of wanting to vomit. There's obviously plenty more stupidity in this movie, but others have done a better job mocking it then I can.

Kit has improved big time.

He's learned like a whole additional facial expression since season one. Now he can choose and switch between four different options. There is stupid Snow, surprised Snow, sad Snow and slightly-constipated Snow. Such an incredible range! I wonder if he could also learn to do the Blue Steel or the Magnum!

That made me laugh! This is clearly a debate for the Interstellar thread, but the visuals/ score and some of the ideas presented in the movie were really well done.

I aim to please :P

Seriously though, I'll freely admit that Interstellar has some great VFX work and Nolan did indeed try to make something a bit different from the usual crap we get (although, let's not blow that out of proportion, it was still an incredibly sappy and emotionally manipulative film about the power of love). He just failed miserably imo and he doesn't get a free pass just for trying.

To be fair, that's a decent movie. Except for the egregious product placement.

That's like the best part of the movie for me :D The entire film is just resoundingly 'meh' and then Brad Pitt comes across that Pepsi machine in the final ten minutes. It's absolutely hilarious, it's just so freaking shameless and I can't help but be amused by that :)

Is this thread about unpopular opinions, like some people have posted, or stuff whose popularity truly make no sense to you? Because for the former there's plenty of examples of things that I think are over or underrated, but which reasons I understand (for example: Schindler's List is terrible, but it isn't hard to see why it's popular)?

If it's the latter like I suspect, then all the people complaining about superhero movies and whatnot don't belong here (you can't see why they are popular? Really)?

We live in a world in which Transformers earns huge sums of money. I freely admit that I have no idea about what makes a movie popular (like at all). I don't understand why these superhero flicks are so popular and I thought disliking superhero movies was a pretty unpopular opinion. Turns out loads of people here agree with me, which was a pleasant surprise.

I doubt it's a promise. Isn't there an Avatar 2 coming sometime in the near future? :P

:crying: Oh well, at least it keeps Sam Worthington away from ruining actually decent movies, so there is a flipside to that :P

Decided to check out Interstellar because of this thread, and wow... that was hot garbage. Love is the one thing that transcends time and space? Jesus Christ. It's not even emotionally manipulative, unless it was trying to manipulate me into the emotion of wanting to vomit. There's obviously plenty more stupidity in this movie, but others have done a better job mocking it then I can.

:cheers: I like you dude, I really do :P

EDIT: this part is brilliant XD

TEACHER #1

Blight is ravaging our crops, meaning there are only three jobs allowed now: farming, teaching about farming, and impersonating the New York Yankees. We think your son should farm.

Pixar. I'll take pretty much any Disney movie from the Disney Renaissance over everything Pixar has ever done, with the exception of Ratatouille. Drawn animation is just so much better than that sterile computer shit Pixar has going on (yes, I know drawn animation uses computers to thank you), there is just so much more warmth and joy in there. Heck, Disney is even better at making Pixar movies than Pixar, since Wreck-it Ralph was better than anything Pixar has ever put out with the exception of Ratatouille.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JsmXrrOwus

Shall we say pistols at dawn Red? :p

Super hero movies will probably slow down in popularity at which point some other movies you hate just as much as them will replace them

I don't know, I have a particular loathing for superheroes.

I don't know, I have a particular loathing for superheroes.

Is it their super powers you hate?

They can't be any worse than regular action movies where the star might not have super powers but is usually much more kickass than a regular person.

Ridley Scott and Francis Ford Coppala are both horribly overrated as directors. Ridley's great films are all horribly dated, with the exception of Gladiator (which I love, despite the fact that it's riddled with all types of flaws). Coppola's Dracula is horrible. The Godfather is good, but way to long and definitely not the best mob movie (Goodfellas forever). Apocalyps Now has some iconic scenes but it's again way to long, it feels pretty dated and I can honestly say that I liked the whole travel over the river better when Herzog did it with Aguirre: der Zorn Gottes seven years earlier.

I thought Apocalypse Now has some excellent and memorable individual scenes but I didn't really find the overall story to be at all compelling. I agree Bram Stoker's Dracula was terrible, Keanu Reeves in it is probably one of the worst casting decisions I can think of. I really liked the first two Godfather films, although I think the first is better than the second which doesn't seem to be common opinion.

I thought Apocalypse Now has some excellent and memorable individual scenes but I didn't really find the overall story to be at all compelling. I agree Bram Stoker's Dracula was terrible, Keanu Reeves in it is probably one of the worst casting decisions I can think of. I really liked the first two Godfather films, although I think the first is better than the second which doesn't seem to be common opinion.

Keanu as Jonathan Harker is so bad it's good. It's like Showgirls, Grease II, and Batman w/George Clooney. It's so bad it's awesome.

I love Dracula (FFC version). It's like a guilty pleasure. Spectacular wooden performances from most of the cast. But Gary Oldman is super hammy and awesome in it. I have the soundtrack, it's very moody. But most importantly...

THOSE COSTUMES THO

Seriously amazing work. Probably the thing I like best about the film in fact. Everyone's clothing, but especially all the glorious green things that Mina wears. <3

Oh the score and the costumes are SO. GOOD. Lucy's white vampire attire with all the smeared blood.

I LOVE the score. Gary Oldman is AMAAAAAZING in it. I love the movie but it annoys me because it's so close to genius but just falls short.

Here are some more unpopular opinions:

The Hunt for the Red October is boring and E. T. is bad and I cannot for the life of me figure out why eother of them is so popular and well known.

I was thinking about two popular actors I don't get (aside from Jennifer Lawrence):

The guy who plays Thor. He's so bland in the few things I have seen him in. And I can't blame that on the fact that he plays a flying space God in a superhero movie, since Chris Evans is a really good actor imo and he's wearing an American flag throughout all his superhero movies.

Bradley Cooper. He's not a very good actor imo, although he's always at least serviceable. What bothers me on top of that is that he isn't as likeable as some other actors (e.g. The Rock) with similar problems. He lacks leading man charm, which would make up for his average acting.

Archived