Arya's fate to always be ugly?

to steel

then thats the worst kind of proof there is.. the text says shes ugly this forum cant accept reality thats the porblem

When did the text say that Arya was ugly?

The only people who ever calls Arya ugly are 11yr old girls who tease her and is mad at her. Arya has never been called ugly by the text.

lmao what a joke of a thread. there are a number of posts on this forum that discuss the matter of arya's looks with textual evidence that aren't simply cherry picking. people come to a number of different conclusions after reading those threads.

all the evidence suggests to me that arya is growing into her looks as she enters puberty because even lyanna was described as a boyish girl---so much that even bran mistook lyanna for arya in his visions and only realized his mistake when he realized that benjen was a stranger to his eyes. but, if by some chance, arya's not pretty, it doesn't matter. give me a brienne the beauty or asha over a margaery type any day. i, like most readers, prefer character personality instead of physical description. honestly, women just don't fall over and die because they're not pretty lol. people with such fixations on looks for women tend to be the types who think that's the only thing women have to offer.

Ugly is not a good word. Arya's path may be dark, as she seeks vengeance for the wrongs done to her friends and family. She reminds me of Marc Antony:

Woe to the hand that shed this costly blood!

Over thy wounds now do I prophesy,—

Which, like dumb mouths, do ope their ruby lips,

To beg the voice and utterance of my tongue— 1490

A curse shall light upon the limbs of men;

Domestic fury and fierce civil strife

Shall cumber all the parts of Italy;

Blood and destruction shall be so in use

And dreadful objects so familiar 1495

That mothers shall but smile when they behold

Their infants quarter'd with the hands of war;

All pity choked with custom of fell deeds:

And Caesar's spirit, ranging for revenge,

With Ate by his side come hot from hell,

Shall in these confines with a monarch's voice

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs [direwolves] of war;

That this foul deed shall smell above the earth

With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Ugly is not a good word. Arya's path may be dark, as she seeks vengeance for the wrongs done to her friends and family. She reminds me of Marc Antony:

Woe to the hand that shed this costly blood!

Over thy wounds now do I prophesy,—

Which, like dumb mouths, do ope their ruby lips,

To beg the voice and utterance of my tongue— 1490

A curse shall light upon the limbs of men;

Domestic fury and fierce civil strife

Shall cumber all the parts of Italy;

Blood and destruction shall be so in use

And dreadful objects so familiar 1495

That mothers shall but smile when they behold

Their infants quarter'd with the hands of war;

All pity choked with custom of fell deeds:

And Caesar's spirit, ranging for revenge,

With Ate by his side come hot from hell,

Shall in these confines with a monarch's voice

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs [direwolves] of war;

That this foul deed shall smell above the earth

With carrion men, groaning for burial.

And then he throws the bloodied tunic in the public, and they go mad!

Well, her nickname is Arya Horseface.

That's indicative of someone who looks like a horse. It's not that horses are ugly, mind you. It's just that facial shape is not flattering on a human.

Well, her nickname is Arya Horseface.

That's indicative of someone who looks like a horse. It's not that horses are ugly, mind you. It's just that facial shape is not flattering on a human.

Her nickname Arya Horseface is only given and used by Jeyne (who is far from objective, she has an agenda) and Sansa copies it. Everyone else calls her Arya Underfoot, because she's little. She's the petite kind of girl.

As stated above, Arya looks like Lyanna, who was crowned queen of love and beauty by Rheagar. Martin is hiding Arya's beauty with teasing from her sister and sister's friend, to distract us from the way her beauty will play out in the plot. Personally, I think she will be Cersei's downfall.... "until there comes another, younger and more beautiful" (note this does not require her to be a queen).

As stated above, Arya looks like Lyanna, who was crowned queen of love and beauty by Rheagar. Martin is hiding Arya's beauty with teasing from her sister and sister's friend, to distract us from the way her beauty will play out in the plot. Personally, I think she will be Cersei's downfall.... "until there comes another, younger and more beautiful" (note this does not require her to be a queen).

Or she can be the Valqnar.As people always mistook her for a boy.I would like that.

It seems to me that you want Arya to be ugly

:agree:

i'm saying whats in the text.. i also said i pity her

The text clearly hints that she will grow into her features. She looks like Lyanna and Lyanna was considered beautiful.

Remember, Cersei like Sansa is a conventional beauty but it was Lyanna and her 'wild beauty' that Rhaegar and Robert fell for. Arya might give Sansa a run for her money in the future. ;)

Also, Arya is very much a character that aspires to be more than her appearance. Don't pity her because she is 'ugly.' Her looks don't define her, they are not her main appeal and they shouldn't be.

I think the Stark looks takes time to grow into to. Arya is just starting to grow more beautiful and Jon is starting to get better looking as well.

It always annoys me when people associate the Stark look with being ugly. As far as we can tell Lyanna was beautiful, Brandon (could have had a long face too) was handsome and Jon seems to be a babe magnet (Ygritte, Val, Mel and Alys).

Also, GRRM plays around with fairytale tropes: Sansa/Sandor and Brienne/Jaime have a 'Beauty and the Beast' dynamic going on and Cersei and her prophecy regarding 'the younger more beautiful queen' is like Snow White and the evil queen. I wouldn't be surprised if Arya is 'The ugly duckling' that grows into a beautiful Swan.

lmao what a joke of a thread. there are a number of posts on this forum that discuss the matter of arya's looks with textual evidence that aren't simply cherry picking. people come to a number of different conclusions after reading those threads.

all the evidence suggests to me that arya is growing into her looks as she enters puberty because even lyanna was described as a boyish girl---so much that even bran mistook lyanna for arya in his visions and only realized his mistake when he realized that benjen was a stranger to his eyes. but, if by some chance, arya's not pretty, it doesn't matter. give me a brienne the beauty or asha over a margaery type any day. i, like most readers, prefer character personality instead of physical description. honestly, women just don't fall over and die because they're not pretty lol. people with such fixations on looks for women tend to be the types who think that's the only thing women have to offer.

Also, GRRM plays around with fairytale tropes: Sansa/Sandor and Brienne/Jaime have a 'Beauty and the Beast' dynamic going on and Cersei and her prophecy regarding 'the younger more beautiful queen' is like Snow White and the evil queen. I wouldn't be surprised if Arya is 'The ugly duckling' that grows into a beautiful Swan.

Love it!

And the ugly duckling wasn't a duckling in the first place anyway... Was always a swan. The ducklings just didn't know it. That is quite like Arya with her Stark look growing up with siblings who all have the Tully look. The Tullys are the ducklings, and the Starks the swans in that sense. (though I think ducks are pretty birds too)

Jon might be the sleeping beauty reversed - waiting for a princess to kiss him awake :drool:

The OP pities a 9 year old girl who not only survived, but was a total badass, during the WOT5K and was then recruited by the FM to become one of the most elite assassins I'm the world at age 11-12 ...... Because of her looks???? All textual evidence aside, who gives a shit what she looks like! This has to be trolling.

LMAO

This has to be a troll thread.

Arya's ugly because her older sister and her friend say so! Never mind all the evidence in the books that she looks exactly like her aunt who is described by all as beautiful.

Sounds like the OP is desperate to make out Sansa to be better than Arya in some way, even if it's only in the very shallow area of looks.

:lmao:

''Her mother used to say she could be pretty if she would just wash and brush her hair and take more care with her dress, the way her sister did.'

All it takes for her to be pretty is to brush her hair and change her clothes?

When the very text that the OP quotes negates their whole point, it's got to be trolling.

Arya does have "The Ugly Duckling" reference with her wishing to be like a swan, and taking after her father while the rest of her siblings take after their mother. When she matures she may be a swan.

I'd say age before beauty.

Archived