When Dany returns to Westeros will the Martells immediately declare loyalty?

PodrickMayne

Dorne has been pretty neutral this far biding their time... And it's no secret that they enjoyed their most prosperous years under Targaryn rule. With no love lost towards the Lannisters and their ties to Essos.. Do you think House Martell are just waiting for Dany to return to Westeros? And if they call their banners in support combined with her armies and dragons does anyone have a chance to stop them

I'm not sure Prince Doran would be too ecstatic in welcoming the dragons. You know, since one of them burnt his son alive... 

Perhaps but dragons are the key to success to defeating the rest of Westeros and destroying the Lannisters.

I'm not sure Prince Doran would be too ecstatic in welcoming the dragons. You know, since one of them burnt his son alive... 

Yes but I'm sure he was less enthused about supporting the rule of Robert and Cersei after the Lannisters brutally slaughtered his family

Yes but I'm sure he was less enthused about supporting the rule of Robert and Cersei after the Lannisters brutally slaughtered his family

This is pretty much Doran's plan, but it's been overtaken by events, namely:-

1. Quentyn's death
2. (F) Aegon's invasion
3. [Spoiler] Arianne's ambitions [/Spoiler]

Immediately no Doran Will asses her chances of winning first he is after all a very patient man

Has he just been patient knowing that there are Targaryn bloodlines across the narrow sea? Varys made it apparent that a few houses risked a lot to get them to safety but never elaborates. And they have strong ties to Essos maybe he's being patient knowing of Danys return!? Eh? Eh?

It just doesn't make sense... Of Arianne does marry Aegon how does that help the Martells at all? Sure they now have the Targaryn name... But Aegon has absolutely nothing but his name no army nothing so they return to Dorne and wage war with only the Dornish army? Doesn't seem very strategic to me

Probably not, but I'm sure he'd rather welcome them than face them.

It just doesn't make sense... Of Arianne does marry Aegon how does that help the Martells at all? Sure they now have the Targaryn name... But Aegon has absolutely nothing but his name no army nothing so they return to Dorne and wage war with only the Dornish army? Doesn't seem very strategic to me

Precisely. Throwing in with Aegon is no guarantee of victory. 

He does have the Golden Company, Jon Connington's friends in the Reach and Stormlands, and will probably be very popular in the Crownlands and Kings Landing, at least initially.

Not only does he have an army, he has a currently successful army.  If anything, I think Aegon (or rather JonCon) would have a problem marrying Arianne - wanting to still wait for Dany - rather than the Martells having a problem with it.

So will Dany meet Aegon and marry him? He has no chance without Dany at this point. So that basically shuts down all the Dany meeting Jon Snow theory right?

If the story ends without Daenerys meeting Jon I'll eat my hat. :P

The Martells will likely be on Aegon's side since he's claiming to be Elia's son. Dany and Aegon are probably going to fight another dance so the Martells will oppose her. There's the unfortunate business with Quentyn too.

I could see other houses in Dorne going against the Martells though. House Yronwood opposed them in previous Blackfyre rebellions. It would be an interesting switch if the Martells ended up fighting for a Blackfyre, and the Yronwoods for a Targaryen.

Not only does he have an army, he has a currently successful army.  If anything, I think Aegon (or rather JonCon) would have a problem marrying Arianne - wanting to still wait for Dany - rather than the Martells having a problem with it.

Aegon only has 5000 men and some elephants who have managed to take a relatively undefended Cape Wrath by surprise. They don't exactly have the best chance of conquering Westeros.

Aegon only has 5000 men and some elephants who have managed to take a relatively undefended Cape Wrath by surprise. They don't exactly have the best chance of conquering Westeros.

They've taken most of the east coast of the Stormlands by the end of ADWD and still have another 5000 men on their way.  With every other major house except Arryn weakened from TWO5K (or a sojourn to Meereen), the Golden Company are a force to be reckoned with.  Especially if Dorne joins them.

Archived