Exercise & Fitness

Greywolf2375

Ok, doing 26 miles 4 days a week now. Difficult route too. Only thing is, I don't have any energy lately. My legs, when I get out there, feel like they have no power. I do continue making slight improvements week to week, but I need to figure out how to fix my fatigue. I am thinking it may be diet related.

Ok, doing 26 miles 4 days a week now. Difficult route too. Only thing is, I don't have any energy lately. My legs, when I get out there, feel like they have no power. I do continue making slight improvements week to week, but I need to figure out how to fix my fatigue. I am thinking it may be diet related.

Could well be. If you think a mile burns maybe 100 calories, over a week that's quite a lot of fuel that needs replacing.

It's too hot here - I'd give almost anything to run through a bit of wind and rain. Aside from that it's going well. Got a 10k on August 1st where I'm pretty confident of beating 50 minutes. I've gradually built up my long slow runs so I'm now doing 10k + once a week, which seems to have some good pyschological benefits as well as the physical. Going to tinker with my intervals next week. So far I've been doing 5 * 600m slightly faster than target 10k pace and reducing the amount of recovery time inbetween, but this seems a little easy to me, so going to try 4 * 1000m.

Experienced my first bleeding nipple last night after wearing a new singlet. Plasters aren't an option because there's no way I'm shaving my chest for anything short of immortal powers, so I'm hoping vaseline does the job.

It was ugly but could have been worse. 15 miles in just under 4 hours. Had some intestinal problems last night. Got a massage 2 days ago and that turned out to be a mistake since my unnaturally loose calf muscles got super tight in the first mile. The good thing was that I never felt any worse than I did in the first few miles. My legs were crap but the altitude never bothered me- couldn't tell 13000 from 10000.

The key to this race wasn't to be a good runner unless you're the top few guys who run the whole way and are probably doing 100/week- the more important thing for the normal athlete is to be a solid hiker.

The boyfriend says he doesn't understand why people treat their bodies that way- People were coming on rough looking- that it's like going to the Golden Corral and cheering for fat people who are stuffing themselves. I'm working on that part right now - made a beeline for the ice cream shop as soon as I finished.

It was ugly but could have been worse. 15 miles in just under 4 hours. Had some intestinal problems last night. Got a massage 2 days ago and that turned out to be a mistake since my unnaturally loose calf muscles got super tight in the first mile. The good thing was that I never felt any worse than I did in the first few miles. My legs were crap but the altitude never bothered me- couldn't tell 13000 from 10000.

The key to this race wasn't to be a good runner unless you're the top few guys who run the whole way and are probably doing 100/week- the more important thing for the normal athlete is to be a solid hiker.

The boyfriend says he doesn't understand why people treat their bodies that way- People were coming on rough looking- that it's like going to the Golden Corral and cheering for fat people who are stuffing themselves. I'm working on that part right now - made a beeline for the ice cream shop as soon as I finished.

Congrats, Eponine! Sounds like it was (oddly) a lot of fun! Enjoy the ice cream, you earned it.

so I did those front squats today. The discomfort caused by the weight on my shoulders was actually what forced me to stop, as opposed to my legs not being able to move the weight. If anyone here has experience with this...will it eventually hurt less? Did some deadlifts too, felt pretty good, but I made the mistake of not warming up at all, I won't be doing that again. I kind of like these moves, I think I'll be doing them every week now.

Congrats on finishing. I figured most people would hike most of the uphill and run the downhill. You'd have to be in phenomenal shape to run the whole thing.

Nah I'm holding it cross-armed, I was having trouble bending my wrists properly to hold it the way you posted.

I think you should still try. It's a much more stable and comfortable way to hold the bar once you get used to it, and the only way when you learn how to clean (and what's the point of front squats, if not to prepare yourself for heavy cleans?). It might hurt a little the first few times, but for most people, the wrist flexibility improves extremely fast.

Eponine and Lightning Lord, congratulations with your races! You both seem a little unhappy with your results, but I think just finishing the races sounds impressive enough.

I've spent the last few weeks lifting a lot, while avoiding running, jumping and other activities that could aggravate my Achilles tendon injury, and feeling envious at my teammates who can run outdoors in the sun while I lift alone in a dark basement gym. Fortunately, the tendon has improved greatly, and I rarely feel any pain except when I squeeze it hard with my fingers. Nevertheless, I know that even if I don't feel any pain, it will take several months for the tendon to fully heal, and I have to remain careful.

Today, I spent half the day in a local park, enjoying the sun, relaxing and ogling chicks in bikinis reading Guy Gavriel Kay's latest book. I thought these were entirely risk-free activities, but I was wrong: While I was reading, I suddenly saw a girl trying to grab a plastic bag which was blowing away from her a few meters away from me, and without thinking, I instantly got up and sprinted a few steps to catch the bag and bring it back to her. A few seconds later, I realized my mistake, as the tendon was suddenly beginning to hurt a lot. Fortunately I don't think it's very serious. It feels OK again now (a few hours later), but the incident serves as a useful reminder that the injury is more serious than it feels.

Bah, summer upon us, and the damning realisation that all is not as it should be, physically. Gah. What was I doing over the winter?

Sitting on my ass, oh yeah.

Back to some sort of exercise regime! I'm thinking, daily push-ups, cycling, playing soccer and/or gaelic football again, with the possible addition of boxing. Hmm...

This weekend, I was out of town, and had no weights to lift. Because not exercising just isn't an option, I was forced to risk aggravating my Achilles tendon injury by doing some stair jumps. Here's a fun video of one of my sets:

The second and third jumps are ugly and uncoordinated, and I don't reach full extension in the hips and knees, because I'm out of balance with my center of gravity too far forward. But the speed and explosiveness are not too bad, and I'm happy that I'm able to do the entire flight of stairs in three jumps even with quite inefficient technique.

On the other hand, I am shocked to see how fat I look in the video. I've noticed in the mirror that I have gained a little the last half year, but I didn't know it was that bad. The main reason is probably the various injuries which have stopped me from running since last autumn. If I can't start running regularly some time soon, I'll have to start thinking about my diet for the first time in my life.

:angry2:

This weekend, I was out of town, and had no weights to lift. Because not exercising just isn't an option, I was forced to risk aggravating my Achilles tendon injury by doing some stair jumps.

Cool video. It's that kind of explosiveness I don't have anymore in my knees.

I know exactly what you mean. I was off camping last weekend, and in order to conserve space, I didn't pack my running shoes. Since I knew I'd be eating and drinking a LOT over the weekend, I ran for 40 minutes in my boots on a flat trail at over 7000 feet altitude. Surprisingly it felt pretty good, except for the blisters on my feet. Running in the smog in 100 degree heat on a regular basis prepares you for pretty much anything. In my head I figured out a strength routine involving rocks, tree branches, and rolling around in the dirt, but in the end I opted for staying clean and lazy as opposed to getting in just one more workout day.

I hear you about the diet. Welcome to pre-middle age. What's been working for me is if I do a quality legs day including 10 minute cardio warm up, 10 minutes of stretching, and at least an hour of squats, dynamic lunges, step ups, and a little core, I find I can eat like a herd of swine and not gain weight.

Warm-up run to the gym.

Back Squats: 3x5 @ 130 lbs

Front Squats: 3x5 @ 110 lbs

Deadlift: 3x5 (90 lbs-110 lbs-120 lbs)

(Attempted) Glute-Ham Raises (bodyweight only): 3x5

*Got a calf cramp on the very last one, lucky me*

Started a cooldown run home, then was like fuck that. My legs felt like bricks. Stretched afterwards.

Not much weight but I'm OK with that seeing as I've not done weighted squats and deads seriously before. I'm going to be doing this routine once or twice a week from now on until my shoulder heals up. Abs tomorrow, that will be done the day after legs from now on.

I tried the normal front squat grip again but once more I just couldn't get it, so I ended up doing the cross-arm grip this time as well. Also I felt the front squats a lot more in my quads, nice. I think I could do more weight on all of these exercises but that first set of squats got me really tired really fast. I never knew you could get so tired and out of breath just from lifting weights. Anyway I think next time I'll do the deadlifts/GHRs first and the squats second and see how that works.

Archived