[BOOK SPOILERS] Episode 2 Preview

TheEvilKing

Yep you'll definitely want to avoid any threads like this one with [book Spoilers] on them! I'm really glad I've read the books before this show though. It'd be hard for me to keep away from these forums and sites, so my chances of being spoiled would be huge. I admire Ran for doing what he can to help people participate before they've finished reading though. :)

I hope they show the scene of Jory(right?) and Arya throwing rocks. It'd be so sad... but with the lack of POV constraints that's a scene we're "allowed" to see now, right?

I want to see Shaggydog in this episode. It sounds like we're gonna have a lot of Summer, Nymeria and Lady though so maybe we won't get much of the others.

Theon's appearance kind of makes me sad. He's supposed to have dark hair, and it's not like dye is hard to do. The actor seems good for the role, though.

But it's what you can expect from our culture these days right?

You really want to learn about our culture? Play God of War, shit ton of violence with a bit of nudity. Any more than the virtual tits would have lead to a AO rating, while it would have taken an earth shattering amount of violence to get the same rating.

That is indeed Needle. And that's Mikken! Played by Boyd Rankin, one of the armory team (who made all the weapons for the series), and a friend to the BwB, which is pretty cool. :) He joked that they really cast his leather work apron, which he's had for for many years.

The two new clips are making me so anxious for Sunday to come. I like the Jon and Jaime showdown, even if it isn't in the books. Like many said, it's like a "deleted scene" from the book. And the Daenerys clip is pretty interesting, because I think that is exactly how it is in the book. Sunday, please come faster?

I'm gonna go ahead and echo the concerns that because we saw so little of the Direwolves, it's going to be emotionally a little underwhelming when the Nymeria/Lady scenes occur. Of course with the attempt on Bran's life and Summer saving him, maybe the importance of the children having the wolves will be underscored.

Theon's appearance kind of makes me sad. He's supposed to have dark hair, and it's not like dye is hard to do. The actor seems good for the role, though.

I'm confused. I thought his hair was dark in the first episode? Did I get confused about who he was? If I did, that's rather embarrassing for someone who has read the books more than once. :blushing:

I think downplaying the direwolves is a necessity in the show. We have no guarantees that the same dogs will be available if this show has a five year running -- not to mention training. I'd rather have less direwolves than cheesy scenes of a dog "attacking" someone. Plus, there are plenty of emotional scenes to be shot where the presence of a random dog will take away much of what you are supposed to be feeling, whereas in the book it is easy to not mention them.

I think downplaying the direwolves is a necessity in the show. We have no guarantees that the same dogs will be available if this show has a five year running -- not to mention training. I'd rather have less direwolves than cheesy scenes of a dog "attacking" someone. Plus, there are plenty of emotional scenes to be shot where the presence of a random dog will take away much of what you are supposed to be feeling, whereas in the book it is easy to not mention them.

Oh, I think you are right about the cheesy factor. Also, the Direwolves are simply going to have to be CGI at some point, and that presents a lot of cheesy problems of its own. My biggest fear for the season is that the last episode will be ruined with lame looking dragons during Dany's final chapter. Still, I think that the Stark children being meant to have those Direwolves is a semi-important plot point, as evidenced by Arya's losing Nymeria and Lady's death. Whereas Jon, Bran and Rickon all keep their wolves. Robb's obviously goes with him so that's a bit of a moot point.

Oh, I think you are right about the cheesy factor. Also, the Direwolves are simply going to have to be CGI at some point, and that presents a lot of cheesy problems of its own. My biggest fear for the season is that the last episode will be ruined with lame looking dragons during Dany's final chapter.

Well, dragons are actually easier to be CGI'ed than the wolves: humans don't have movement and expression patterns of dragons deeply embedded into our brains (as opposed to those of wolves), dragons fly and fast and can therefore be both more distant and more "blurry". That, of course, isn't an issue in the first season, the easiest move would be to go for non-cgi'ed puppets.

All I know is that I'm going to need to have kleenex ready for any scenes with Lady or Nymeria.

You mean the direwolves we've never seen? I guess in the sense that 'any pet dying in film is usually sad since the animal has no understanding of what is going on or control of the situation' it will be sad, but definitely not like the book. Not that I mind much.

Teehee, I'm expecting a call from my dad about Lady's death. He's heard me yaking about the books for years but hasn't read them. He really liked the first episode though. Apparently my stepmom, who hasn't even heard of the books and generally dislikes fantasy, thought the first episode was really good. "What the fuck he just gets pushed?!" Though I'm waiting for her reaction to Bran's surviving.

There's a mistake in HBO's description text (that they send to, for example, TiVo). It says "Ned leaves Westeros with his daughters" which caused me to freak out. Because I hadn't read the book for a number of years, I was all "What the hell! He left Westeros? Where? Did he go to Pentos, or...?" and I just couldn't possibly remember anything about him going across the ocean. And of course then I realized it should read "Winterfell", not "Westeros".

The also kind of ruin the cliffhanger at the end of Ep.1: "Bran's fate remains in doubt." Thanks, HBO!

The preview clip of Dany with her handmaidens made me VERY happy. That conversation was basically line-for-line from the books, from the "It is known." being repeated to the moon being an egg.

The Jon/Jaime exchange is an interesting addition, but I like it.

I'm confused. I thought his hair was dark in the first episode? Did I get confused about who he was? If I did, that's rather embarrassing for someone who has read the books more than once. :blushing:

It looks like they changed theon's hair during filming. Maybe the wig wasn't working, or they wanted to give the viewers a subconscious clue, like blond teenage guy = face punch. ;)

Seems to me that they have Jaime taking the part of Tyrion in the discussion about the Wall - maybe to keep Ghost from becoming an issue, since the pups are still so little? Takes a much longer scene and chops it down into a shorter one. But still gets the point across - the Wall is teeming with badduns, and the Lannisters are arrogant SoBs.

Seems to me that they have Jaime taking the part of Tyrion in the discussion about the Wall - maybe to keep Ghost from becoming an issue, since the pups are still so little? Takes a much longer scene and chops it down into a shorter one. But still gets the point across - the Wall is teeming with badduns, and the Lannisters are arrogant SoBs.

Don't think so - there's a scene we've been shown clips of with Tyrion talking about the crimes Jon's fellow recruits have committed.

I think that scene is just to show Jaime being a dick. And maybe also to increase the Stark/Lannister rivalry a little more. Though I personally think a scene with Jaime and Robb would perhaps be more effective, since Jon is on his way out of politics.

Archived