I can't say I agree.
Littlefinger, not admittedly the best judge of character, highlights for me what a complete HYPOCRITE that Stannis is about just about everything. He persecutes just about everyone who offends his code of honor but Stannis doesn't HAVE any real honor if you take note of it.
Let's do a short little examination of his actions.
* Turned against the Targaryens. Again, this is treason from the part of Stannis and the fact that he continues to act that its NEVER justified just shows what a complete liar he is about everything.
* Stannis is a kinslayer. This is something that is considered the most monstrous crime in all of Westeros and he willingly goes about it with Renly.
* Stannis turns against the Seven. His religious conversion totally appalls me because he shows here that he's willing to go with any force that provides him the kingship. Any promises or prayers he's offered in the past are clearly worthless to him.
* The fact that Stannis takes all of Renly's traitorous bannermen underneath his wing with narly a word so long as they're helping him again shows that he only cares about being king.
* Stannis is an adulterer, it's implied, sleeping with Mel instead of his wife.
I mean, seriously, Stannis observes no code of honor but an INTERPRETATION of his own that benefits him the most.
Yes, he has a lot of self-righteousness but his principles are VERY flexible in my opinion.
Edited by Charles Phipps, 10 May 2011 - 07:03 PM.