Terrible Taste Confessions

Nukelavee

anybody brave enough to admit liking eragon or its sequels? i didn't think so.

i wen't through a period of devouring Tom Clancy novels. in my defence i think deep down i always knew it was wrong.

i also used to read my sister's sweet valley high books (beat that).

More Star Wars! I have read all the non prequel ones. And enjoyed many of them.

Preston and Child. Often these two think they are smarter than they are, but I have read the whole Pendergrass series.

YA books. I have read a ton of them. Way past their shelf life.

Harry Potter. My wife and I pick them apart together, plot point by plot point, which we can do because we are both three or four rereads into it.

Edit: Am I the only fantasy reader who never picked up a Dragonlance book? Maybe I should be the one who is ashamed, not all you who are confessing.

*hangs head with shame*

I used to be a big tom clancy fan until my late teens. I still like red storm rising.

Then i saw a hardcopy of feists shards of a lbroken crown and started reading some of his books(out of order). Of course, shards represented the series beginning its dive. I still buy his books, just to see how it ends. The author clearly lost all interest years ago.

Brooks. Ive not bought his latest book and might take the rest to a charity shop. His previous trilogy was ok, telling how the modern world became the shannara world. His world building is poor; his place names seem to be random generated rather than corruptions of old place names.

Eddings. I still love the garion books. It was the redemption of althalus that stopped me buying any more of his books.

I have all of salvatores drizzt books. The onl other forgotten realms books i have are the avatar trilogy and 2 follow ips which i got becauae of the tie-in to baldurs gate crpg. I alao own the first moonshae books which salvatore recommended and found them overrated.

Star war books: mostly the newer ones. The only Older ones i have are the thrawn trilogy and duology, the xwing books, and the awful truce at bakura.

Most of my star trek collection went to a charity shop years ago.

I was on holiday and the place where I was staying had a library that consisted of Jeffrey Archer books. I didn't hate them.

Also, I'd discount stuff you read as a teen - teenagers have weird brains and will devour any old crap, the real guilty pleasures begin with adulthood.

Edit: Am I the only fantasy reader who never picked up a Dragonlance book? Maybe I should be the one who is ashamed, not all you who are confessing.

Good point, but it could just be a subtle indicator of your age... I think most of the people that read Dragonlance are somewhere in their early thirties right now (or, you know, older). Perhaps you're from a younger demographic?

anybody brave enough to admit liking eragon or its sequels? i didn't think so.

I already did on the first page, which makes this double confession hurt worse.

Star war books: mostly the newer ones. The only Older ones i have are the thrawn trilogy and duology, the xwing books, and the awful truce at bakura.

Oh go, I forgot that I still own a trilogy of Han Solo stories.....

Me too. I've read Gaunt's Ghosts and Ciaphas Cain, which aren't really that bad, but I also read a Space Marines omnibus (Ultramarines by Graham McNeill), which was.

Not 40K. The real Warhammer novels.

Good point, but it could just be a subtle indicator of your age... I think most of the people that read Dragonlance are somewhere in their early thirties right now (or, you know, older). Perhaps you're from a younger demographic?

Nope. Thirty this year, but outside of Pern, I really did get into fantasy later, so your point is still valid. I was scifi all the way, none of this silly elf stuff!

Missed Eddings, Brooks, and Redwall. But hey, did go through Sword if Truth(as far along as it was) starting in high school. So add that to the list.

Not 40K. The real Warhammer novels.

OK, those are more in the spirit of this topic, I do admit.

Nope. Thirty this year, but outside of Pern, I really did get into fantasy later, so your point is still valid. I was scifi all the way, none of this silly elf stuff!

Ah, OK. Welcome to the club. ;) I discovered fantasy when I was about 18. That stuff was hard to find over here.

Those silly elves were a really bad trope in the eighties fantasy, btw.

It more has to do with covers. Shirtless guy, woman with dress unbuttoned.....etc. That is what the Kindle is good for. No one can see the cover of what you are reading and I don't have to be embarrassed.

I loved the old Indiana Jones moves and I will admit to reading books based on the movies.

I have read all of the twilight novels before the films came out, and I used to be obsessed. Now every time I look at anything twilight related I am reminded of my shame.

I read the first three books in the inheritance cycle and liked it (probably the cause for my current irrational hatred of dragons in any novel).

There are some books that some people may consider shameful, but I don't, I enjoy

Eragon series-I really enjoy these, granted they aren't rocket science, but they are fun for me.

Twilight-I loved these when I read them and I enjoy the movies(even though I still hate Bella, can't stand that bitch)

Eddings-I re read the his first four series about every other year and I love them

Laura K Hamiltion-Both the vampire hunter series and the fairy series

many many vamp or supernatural books

There are probably many more that aren't the best in terms of quality, but I read them because I enjoy them.

Anne Bishop's Black Jewels trilogy is still my go-to comfort reading when I'm sick. And I read all the books that came after the initial trilogy, too, although I don't think I'll be rereading them any time soon.

I mostly cannot handle Mercedes Lackey any more--though I devoured Valdemar as a kid--but By the Sword and the Tarma & Kethry books still make good comfort reading, as do the Tremaine sections of the Storm trilogy [but not the Firesong sections, oh god].

Darkover novels by Marion Zimmer Bradley. I'm still following the series and have a real soft spot for it (and just about all the books).

Glad to see someone else loved Valdemar as a teen. ;)

Archived