September Reads

Serious Callers Only

Finished Sharps by KJ Parker which was, of course, excellent. Naturally, I rate it up there along with The Folding Knife.

As usual I can't decide what to read next, so I put it to YOU to decide out of these:

Clockers by Richard Price

The Dumas Club by Arturo Perez-Reverte

Hollywood by Charles Bukowski

Deadwood by Pete Dexter

Hammer of the Gods (Led Zeppelin biography) by Stephen Davis

First post decides and wins a major prize.

I finished Martin's Fevre Dream and loved it. I'm thinking of starting Let the Right One In next, by John Ajvide Lindqvist. I honestly don't know how much time for reading I'll have from now on, at least for the next couple of months, with going back to work for the first time after nearly two years of baby-related leave, dealing with homework and school related reading. And of course having to still deal with said ultra-demanding babies. :)

Quoting you just so you see this, I finally remembered to send you those books we talked about when you were here. Sorry it took so long, enjoy!

He did. I read The Windup Girl last year, and loved it. That's why I was so severely disappointed with The Alchemist; it read like the worst kind of cliched melodramatic crap. I read Coelho's book years ago, and was disgusted by it.

I'm reading The Windup Girl now and loving it. About 3/4 of the way through. There are some great, distinct characters, and the world is awesome.

Finished Sharps by KJ Parker which was, of course, excellent. Naturally, I rate it up there along with The Folding Knife.

As usual I can't decide what to read next, so I put it to YOU to decide out of these:

Clockers by Richard Price

The Dumas Club by Arturo Perez-Reverte

Hollywood by Charles Bukowski

Deadwood by Pete Dexter

Hammer of the Gods (Led Zeppelin biography) by Stephen Davis

First post decides and wins a major prize.

I just want a prize, so I will say... Deadwood. Based purely on the name as I have read none of the books. Helpful? :cool4:

I actually grabbed a really pulpy Angry Robot release, the omnibus called Clockwork Vampire Chronicles. Purely on a whim due to the price, anyone read these? I not looking for great, just entertaining.

I read The Dumas Club, plus a couple others by Perez-Reverte, and found all of them dull. Not knowing anything about the content of the other books, I recommend reading Hammer of the Gods while Viking Kittens plays in the background.

August is normally my most productive reading month, but this year it wasn't that productive, for various reasons. Rosen's All Men of Genius was a reasonably diverting hunk of narrativity, which is what I was looking for. The top non-fiction book was Trofimov's Siege of Mecca, while the most interesting was Watson's The Great Divide.

Sharps awaits me at the local library, while Matterhorn sits on my shelf waiting for me to want to read it.

Ended up reading two books based on movie trailers I saw online recently. Life of Pi by Yann Martel and Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. Although I enjoyed them both, I liked Cloud Atlas much more. The 2nd half of Cloud Atlas really delivered and pulled together all the different storylines. Very well done. Even though it got a bit preachy at times, I enjoyed the variety of themes it explored.

Having finished the two books I committed to in August reads; The BFG by Roald Dahl and The Yellow Admiral by Patrick O'Brian, I intend to start Sharpe's Fury by Bernard Cornwell tonight.

I think that will mean that I've read the full set of Sharpe novels.

Tim Severin's Crusader: By Horse to Jerusalem was an interesting read, but his sea voyages are so much more entertaining.

I've started City of Dreams and Nighmare by Ian Whates.

i just finished city of dreams and nightmare and enjoyed it. it took a moment to invest me but i will definitely be reading the others soon. the world is very interesting. like i said about it earlier, what made it a great book to me is this...i always find myself dreading chapters from certain POV once i get a favorite in mind. i guess i feel that way because it is taking time away from the character that i want to read about. i didn't get that while reading the whates book. i enjoyed all POV .

Working my way through Holdstock's The Hollowing, the third novel of the Mythago Cycle. So far, so good. Maintains the quality of the first too, although I'm a little worried that after this the premise might become tired.

After that, its Fevre Dream (I've been inspired to pick that up again, finish it this time), and then I'll give Abercrombie's The Blade Itself another go. Is it something that takes a while to get into? Everyone seems to love it so much, but it just seemed meh when I first started it.

Recently, Hiroshi Sakurazaka's Slum Online and All You Need Is KILL. Both were short and entertaining, and while also thought provoking it was KILL that resonated emotionally... so I'll give longevity to the latter. I'd like to see something from Sakurazaka in longer-form, see a bit more thematic exploration, but -overall- both money and time were well spent.

Next is The Sisters Brothers.

I'll give Abercrombie's The Blade Itself another go. Is it something that takes a while to get into? Everyone seems to love it so much, but it just seemed meh when I first started it.

How far did you get? I liked the style from the start, but the plot does take a while to fully form, and The Blade Itself is by far Abercrombie's weakest.

I'm nearing the halfway point on Seven Wonders by Adam Christopher... hoping it gets better.

I ended up dropping it after a few chapters. There just wasn't enough appeal for me to keep going.

That describes most of Angry Robot books for me though. I think I have tried reading six or seven of their titles and only managed to get all the way through one of them.

Archived