Dany's betrayer is... Barristan Selmy?

Khal GoGo

Aegon owes her no allegiance to betray her.

I think this is a huge point — you can't betray someone to whom you don't owe any allegiance or obligation. That's why I'm skeptical of Mirri being a betrayer; she didn't owe Dany anything or at least, she believed she didn't.

I know I'm in the minority in this view but I think all the betrayals that were referenced in the House of the Undying have already happened and we were shown what they were. The irony of course is that Daenerys doesn't realize this and constantly obsesses over this particular part of the prophecy.

Anyhow, this is what I mean:

Viserys screamed as the molten gold ran down his cheeks and filled his mouth.

The betrayal for gold: Viserys Targaryen

A tall lord with copper skin and silver-gold hair stood beneath the banner of a fiery stallion, a burning city behind him.

The betrayal for blood: Mirri Maz Duur

Rubies flew like drops of blood from the chest of a dying prince, and he sank to his knees in the water and with his last breath murmured a woman’s name.

The betrayal for love: Robert Baratheon

IMO I don't think any of the betrayals have happened yet..or else Dany herself will be the betrayer spoken of in the prophecy.

Brown Ben Plumm really didn't betray her to such an extent that he would deserve a prophecy regarding his actions. He was a sellsword who joined her side, gave her good advice which was ignored, felt she was going to lose and switched back sides again. He really hasn't done much to affect events and now it appears he's going to try to get back on her side again.

I think Barristan the Bold will play the role of Kingmaker. The first Dance of Dragons was started when the LC of the KG, Criston Cole, chose Aegon as the rightful monarch over Rhaenyra. The second Dance of Dragons will be when the the LC of the KG, Barristan, chooses Dany over Aegon as the rightful monarch.

The Hightowers sided with Aegon II, and the Vale sided with Rhaenyra. As others suggested things will be reversed, if JC is as smart as I'd make him he'd aid Oldtown when the Ironborn attacked, and the Tyrells and King Tommen didn't aid them, winning the Hightowers' allegiance. The Vale will probably side with Dany under Sansa's or LF's leadership.

• 6 months later...

I can't see Barristan going over to Aegon's side. This guy fought against the Golden Company in the War of the Ninepenny Kings and personally slayed the last Blackfyre pretender, he is going to be very suspicious of any supposed Targaryen riding into Westeros with the GC.

I think it is unlikely that Barristan goes with Aegon. He saw Tywin present the dead children. It would be a stretch to convince him Aegon is real. Especially when he is CERTAIN Dany is who she says.

Barristan only decided that the rightful king was a Targaryen when he got sacked by Joffrey, I can't see why he'd put any more thought into a decision between Dany and Aegon than he did into his decision between Joffrey and Viserys (ie none).

Doesn't that suggest that Barristan won't betray Dany? He tends not to switch sides until he's given a shove.

I don't think there will be three treasons anymore. I think the Undying planted the idea of three betrayals in Dany's head to fuel her paranoia - see this post http://asoiaf.wester...ow/page__st__40

(I hope the linking bit works, never tried that before ;))

Hence all the little almost-treasons and doubtful situations...

Edit: semi-worked. Got the right page, but had to scroll down to my post. There's probably another way...

Plus, Barristan swore his sword to her, and he doesn't change kings unless the old king he swore his sword to is dead. He didn't swear his sword to Robert until after Aerys and Rhaegar died, and he didn't swear his sword to Dany until after Robert died.

I agree with this, Barriston swore his sword to Dany, specifically, I just don't see him betraying her, not even for another possible Targ with a better claim.

Three treasons you will know: once for blood and once for gold and once for love. An act of treason is a betrayal of trust. Dany is to know three betrayals OF her trust FOR blood, gold & love. Whether Dany's love betrayer loves her is not relevant. He or she will betray Dany for the love he or she feels for some third person. So the love betrayal should not have been Jorah (unless GRRM took a little too much poetic license). It could be him if he betrays her for Lynesse. Or if Lemore is Ashara it could be Barristan. Or maybe Missandei will have to chose in favor of one or both of her two remaining brothers over her. Does Tyrion still love Jamie? Could the Sailor's Wife have a bigger part to play here? Or maybe Gerion? If Tyrion betrayed Dany for Jamie or Gerion that could be for blood, no?

It spoke volumes when Ser Barristan told Dany that he saw Ned Stark executed and went to the sept afterward and thanked the Gods that he was dismissed before that could happen. Also, it is likely he was in the throne room when Lord Rickard and Brandon were murdered. i think Ser Barristan bares a lot of guilt over letting the Starks down due to they were/are honorable and he knew it/knows it. If Dany tries the same to another Stark or someone that he, Ser Barristan knows does not deserve it, he may become a kingslayer/queenslayer. Just Maybe.

Barristan Selmy? It's just so crazy it might be true.

What if...Barristan Selmy meets John Snow (circumstances unknown). Barristan sees that he is in fact Ashara Dayne's son? Barristan is ordered to kill/maim Jon. For obvious reasons, he can't bring himself to do so.

Ser Barristan walks and somehow does great harm to Dany's cause?

• 6 months later...

Barristan may betray her either for blood (fAegons blood claim is higher) or love for Ashara Dayne (aka Septa Lemure). Keep up the great work.

When I just heard this theory on The History of Westeros podcast. It blew my mind. This will happen.

I hope that Barristan will declare the Aegon to be in fact fake. He will name this a ploy of the spider Varys. His allegiance seems to be with Dany, although these are plausible reasons if he were to be the betrayer. And what bad luck for ms. Stormborn GRRM gifts her the most loyal and just Knight of the Realm imo, just for him to be one of the major betrayals.

Right now The Bold is doing his best to hold it down without his queen. Early on in the WoW I think this plotline is going to move in some direction from Slaver's Bay(fingers crossed). I would guess the word of Aegon with his elephants being in Westeros has not yet reached Merreen. If Selmy does have to pick my guess is he will lay his claim in the dragons.

Archived