Moments of Foreshadowing 4

Ice Turtle

Devan's cheeks and chin were dusted with blond hair, a fuzz that would have shamed a proper peach

ASoS Cat's description of dead Willem Lannister:

The blond boy had been trying to grow a beard. Pale yellow peach fuzz covered his cheeks.

But it was the Mother he prayed to now, to keep his sweet son Devan safe from the red woman's demon god.

Devan was the fifthborn and safer here with her than at the king's side. There will be some irony on that part.

Devan will die, and Melisandre will have something to do with his death. Maybe drain his life fire in her bedchambers as she knows he has a crush on her?

Makes sense, Ghost also acted weird around him.

Game Arya lV

"The memory made Arya smile, and after that the darkness held no more terrors for her. The stableboy was dead, she’d killed him, and if he jumped out at her she’d kill him again. She was going home. Everything would be better once she was home again, safe behind Winterfell’s grey granite walls."

Could mean Arya is the one who is going to be the Stark to come back and set things right at Winterfell

"Birth of Kings"

A midwife oversees the birth of babies... and Davos disembarked from the Merry Widwife right after talking about the birth of kings.

Davos will be King of Westeros! It is known!

Thanks!

Devan's cheeks and chin were dusted with blond hair, a fuzz that would have shamed a proper peach

ASoS Cat's description of dead Willem Lannister:

The blond boy had been trying to grow a beard. Pale yellow peach fuzz covered his cheeks.

Peach symbol of death like the oranges in the Godfather ^_^

Let's see if Qarl the Maid dies and if the ladies at the Peach will have some troubles, then!

But I believe you are right, I'm totally sure that there's some symbolism around food : pomegranate has been associated to Bowen, Littlefinger and most importantly Sansa (since the very early AGoT).

Sansa loves lemon cakes but hates them as Alayne.

Both Petyr and Sweetrobin hate porridge, if that's an hint that they are father and son.

I still fail to understand what oranges mean (and if peaches are death, they must be something else. ...but again, there's The Godfather movie so it could be a reference...): Doran Martell chapters are filled with oranges, and both Sansa and Petyr eat them.

I'm pretty sure there's another orange reference somewhere else, but I don't recal where...

Lemon and salt, not as culinary elements by themselves but rather for their sour taste are associated to Stannis (who by the way never drink something sweet ^^).

Wine shows up too many times to be symbolic, but Tyrion choosing to drink/not drink his father's wine refers to his acceptance of Tywin's plans. Also, wine is used to get the truth (Varys and Ned in the jails, Catelyn and Jaime at Riverrun). "In vino veritas", said the Romans!

Speaking of Varys, he drinks water when he's alone as Tyrion notes. (Wine = truth and Water = lies? Maybe that's an exageration.)

Frey are highly nutrient, and since we speak about meat I'm pretty sure both Bran in the cave (thanks to Coldhands) and Manderly at Ramsay's wedding are eating pork meat.

HoTU vision shows a different banquet from the one at the Red wedding, as others pointed out.

I have to reread what Illyrio and Daenerys eat most of the times, so I'm not sure about that.

When Davos is at the Sisters, there a mention of three different kinds of crab: that surely foreshadows something.

Edit: not everything is foreshadowing, but since I was talking about food I went a little out of topic - sorry!

ASOS p 786, Jon first meets Janos Slynt: "...He was as broad as the Old Bear had been, and no doubt would be as bald if he lived to Mormont's age..." Heh.

Too lazy to read through the other versions, but on my latest reread.....

In ASOS, Arya is taken by the Hound and she thinks she is going back to KL but the Hound reveals that he is taking her to the Twins to ransom her to Robb....his last line to her is that they might even get there in time for her uncle's "bloody wedding".

Too right.....

This is from the show, but Jory is talking to Jaime outside of Robert's chambers and Jory states that they had met before, and on the day they met his eye almost got taken out (it might've been at a tourney or something). Jaime later stabs him through the eye.

“Under the sea the mermen feast on starfish soup, and all the serving men are crabs,” Patchface proclaimed as they went. “I know, I know, oh, oh, oh.”

There’s three kinds of crabs in there. Red crabs and spider crabs and conquerors. - Lord Borrell ADwD.

Seems that crabs are here equivalent to kings. Red crab is Stannis, spider crab is Aegon an conqueror is most probably Dany.

“Asha, my two tall sons fed the crabs of Fair Isle."

Stannis commanded the Battle at Fair Isle, and with Ice Turtle's quote above; that's two references to Stannis as a crab.

"The Old Man of the River is a lesser god," said Garin. "He was born from Mother River too, and fought the Crab King to win dominion over all who dwell beneath the flowing waters."

Tyrion could be the Old Man of the River as he journeys on the Rhoyne, and is pulled out from the river, inferred he was reborn from the river; as well as having come across a giant turtle that Yandry and Ysilla claim is the Old Man of the River. This foreshadows Tyrion and Stannis going to battle against each other, and Tyrion's side winning the battle.

I still fail to understand what oranges mean (and if peaches are death, they must be something else. ...but again, there's The Godfather movie so it could be a reference...): Doran Martell chapters are filled with oranges, and both Sansa and Petyr eat them.

Petyr mentions that he loves the "juice" from the blood oranges but he hates the "sticky fingers" and cautions Sansa about "Clean hands." (Sansa spoons her own juice from the blood orange, keeping her hands clean.) Arya also hits Sansa with a blood orange in AGOT, staining her ivory silk. Sansa doesn't accept Arya's offer to make her a new one; she dyes the dress black to cover the stain. And Doran reflects on the blood oranges being "well past ripe," listening to them fall and dreaming of eating them. (Doran's blood oranges = the revenge denied him? He lets the blood oranges rot and fall as he waits, dreaming of eating them...dreaming of the revenge he wants so desperately?) Some rather sinister associations there with Sansa. "Sticky fingers" = blood orange juice = blood on one's hands? Seems to suggest that Sansa will engage in some rather dirty dealings, since like Petyr, she does accept half of and consume the blood orange, but she minds Petyr's warning about the juice and spoons up the juice to keep her hands clean. The funny thing is that Petyr counsels her to keep her hands clean while he's wiping his own: foreshadowing that Petyr will fail to follow his own advice? Given that Petyr and Sansa are eating half of the same blood orange in that scene, maybe Sansa will make it out of their scheming with clean hands while Petyr is left trying to cover his tracks.

Kevan has had his brief rule, his will be followed briefly by the Hand's, Mace Tyrell, now that Kevan is dead. Jaime will later become Cersei's Hand of the King.

Sounds about right. There seems to be a fair bit of foreshadowing for Jaime as Cersei's Hand.

Ned's POV during confrontation with Jaime over Cat's seizure of Tyrion, Jaime says "would the noble Catelyn Tully murder an innocent hostage?" I believe Jingle Bell would have to answer YES.

Love it! Great catch.

Tyrion could be the Old Man of the River as he journeys on Rhoyne, and is pulled out from the river, inferred he was reborn from the river; as well as having come across a giant turtle that Yandry and Ysilla claim is the Old Man of the River. This foreshadows Tyrion and Stannis going to battle against each other, and Tyrion's side winning the battle.

Blackwater?

When Arya first meets Tom O'Sevenstreams in ASOS he is singing the following:

"Off to Gulltown to see the fair maid, heigh-ho, heigh-ho..."

"I'll steal a sweet kiss with the point of my blade, heigh-ho, heigh-ho."

"I'll make her my love and we'll rest in the shade, heigh-ho, heigh-ho.

By the end of the book Sansa is posing as Alyane, a maid from Gulltown and imagining a kiss taken by Sandor at Knifepoint.

I made it through all 23 pages of the third part of this topic, but not yet the first two, so forgive me if it has been previously mentioned.

In GoT Arya is resentfully running through her mind all of Sansa'a accomplishments:

"She plays the high harp and the bells."

The summoning bells drew Ned to his beheading. The funeral bells played for Joffrey. She was the unwitting accomplice to both their deaths.

Blackwater?

It's not foreshadowing if it already happened. The quotes are from after ACoK.

When Arya first meets Tom O'Sevenstreams in ASOS he is singing the following:

By the end of the book Sansa is posing as Alyane, a maid from Gulltown and imagining a kiss taken by Sandor at Knifepoint.

Nice one, Rapsie.

Here's one from evita mgfs

Tregar stumbled to his knees, his lion crest sheered in half

This foreshadows House Lannister being divided against itself.

Lord Beric tells Arya if he has the power he will deliver her to her mother and eventually resurrects her. Arya meets uncat foreshadowing?

Starks and bowmen, Bran can shoot from horseback, Arya wants to learn archery, Jon institutes acher drills, bloodraven who seems to be team Jon and his band of archers. Don't know what to make of it. My only crack pot guess is Arya likes the summer islanders the best when she's cat of the canals and they have the best bows. North and way south alliance?

IF Jon is the three headed dragon, then there's Foreshadowing of Jamie heading north, it's possible Jon makes him his wartime hand to deliver Jon the throne if Dany struggles too much with Dorne and the faith. Bloodraven did send Jamie that dream, they do both dream about their mothers and it would fulfill Jamie's kingmaker wish. Wouldn't be terribly upset if it does't happen though

In Sam 1 in feast he could crush a mouse with a book, but doesn't. Arya has been referred to as a mouse so maybe Sam meets up with her while she's incognito, but doesn't let on because she "saved" him back in Bravos

The Three Maids in a Tower could be foreshadowing for Margaery and her companions, as they take up residence in the Maidenvault even after her marriage to Tommen. Like Daena the Defiant, Margaery is married to kings but all her husbands don't bed her, and likes to go out riding. Daena is sixteen at the time she is imprisoned in the Maidenvault, which is Margaery's age.

Let him be king over charred bones and cooked meat, Jaime remembered, studying his sister's smile. Let him be the king of ashes. "Your Grace," he said, "might we have a private word?"

"As you wish. Tommen, it is past time you had your lesson for the day. Go with the Grand Maester."

"Yes, Mother. We are learning about Baelor the Blessed."

Cersei, like Baelor, will later imprison Margaery and her friends in the Maidenvault, and Margaery may make a few escape attempts, but like Aerys she will imprison Margaery to keep her close as a hostage for ensuring the loyalty of the Tyrells.

Lord Beric tells Arya if he has the power he will deliver her to her mother and eventually resurrects her. Arya meets uncat foreshadowing?

Starks and bowmen, Bran can shoot from horseback, Arya wants to learn archery, Jon institutes acher drills, bloodraven who seems to be team Jon and his band of archers. Don't know what to make of it. My only crack pot guess is Arya likes the summer islanders the best when she's cat of the canals and they have the best bows. North and way south alliance?

IF Jon is the three headed dragon, then there's Foreshadowing of Jamie heading north, it's possible Jon makes him his wartime hand to deliver Jon the throne if Dany struggles too much with Dorne and the faith. Bloodraven did send Jamie that dream, they do both dream about their mothers and it would fulfill Jamie's kingmaker wish. Wouldn't be terribly upset if it does't happen though

In Sam 1 in feast he could crush a mouse with a book, but doesn't. Arya has been referred to as a mouse so maybe Sam meets up with her while she's incognito, but doesn't let on because she "saved" him back in Bravos

If Sam keeps meeting with the Stark kids it could actually be Sansa because she was referred to as a mouse by Cersei and Lysa.

Arya wanting to learn archery was used once to support a theory that she will be like Brandon Snow and try and kill a dragon but there's no time to learn that. If she were to kill a dragon whether literal or a real one I think her poisoned dragon coin shows what method she would use.

Anyways, unfortunately I found more evidence for the foreshadowing of Arya's death theories but I've already accepted this possibility.

The song tells the fictional tale of a beautiful fishmonger who plied her trade on the streets of Dublin, but who died young, of a fever. In the late 20th century a legend grew up that there was a historical Molly, who lived in the 17th century. She is typically represented as a hawker by day and part-time prostitute by night.[1] In contrast she has also been portrayed as one of the few chaste female street-hawkers of her day. However, there is no evidence that the song is based on a real woman, of the 17th century or at any other time.

In Dublin's fair city,

Where the girls are so pretty,

I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone,

As she wheeled her wheel-barrow,

Through streets broad and narrow,

Crying, "Cockles and mussels, alive, alive, oh!"

"Alive, alive, oh,

Alive, alive, oh",

Crying "Cockles and mussels, alive, alive, oh".

She was a fishmonger,

But sure 'twas no wonder,

For so were her father and mother before,

And they each wheeled their barrow,

(chorus)

She died of a fever,

And no one could save her,

And that was the end of sweet Molly Malone.

Now her ghost wheels her barrow,

(chorus)[7]

The girl has a fishmonger and prostitute association and so does Cat of the Canals. Cat also sells cockles and clams and has shouted those words while pushing her barrel.

The comparison to Lyanna has been used as evidence for her death since Ned says it leads to an early grave. The girl in this song dies young and of a fever. Lyanna may have died of puerperal fever and we know she was only 16.

The fever had taken her strength and her voice had been faint as a whisper, but when he gave his word, the fear had gone out of his sister's eyes.

The girl becomes a ghost and Arya has already been a ghost in the story just not literally. In a way Jon is Lyanna Stark's ghost if you caught that reference on the show.

Jon said:

"You’ll be sewing all through winter. When the spring thaw comes, they will find your body with a needle still locked tight between your frozen fingers."

^I thought that line compared to Juliet.

CAPULET

Ha? Let me see her. Out, alas! She’s cold.

Her blood is settled, and her joints are stiff.

Life and these lips have long been separated.

Death lies on her like an untimely frost

Upon the sweetest flower of all the field.

CAPULET

Ready to go, but never to return.

O son! The night before thy wedding day

Hath death lain with thy wife. There she lies,

Flower as she was, deflowered by him.

-Shakespeare

Rhaegar and Lyanna's relationship has been compared to Romeo and Juliet by fans.

Maybe if she does die it's not because she was murdered like so many like to propose but that she went hungry (she already has even before winter) and got sick and died. If she is malnourished maybe she has a low immune system if that applies to Westeros.

It's also possible that Lyanna died during the winter.

Also, Ned said the lone wolf dies but the pack survives. She may die but will still have Nymeria's pack when she is a "ghost" in her second life. She can pull a Jon.

In context Ned was telling her to stick with her family and not fight with them. Maybe Arya chooses to be elsewhere at some point in ADoS.

ETA: From the death thread:

That first one is scary because my family from Bayonne NJ, (where George is from ) sings that song all the time.

When Arya and Sandor cross the river on a boat with two horse heads the kracken tree kills one of the oarsmen and when they think they're clear of it one of the branches hits the boat and drives Arya to one knee. Either Arya gets drawn in to Dany's storyline and once they think they're clear of Vic, Euron shows up, Arya has seen a kracken and dragon and "fly's" back to Winterfell or Dany and Tyrion two of the heads of the dragon try to get to Westeros and escape Vic, but Euron shows up. I subscribe to the theory that Jon is the three headed dragon until we know more of the prophesy (there's no way its just that one line) and think it's possible that the Stark girls ride dragons so the two "heads" could be Dany and Arya.

At the RW the northmen call the feast on the other side the bastards feast. Gods I hope thats foreshadowing of a certain bastards feast of Freys. The Frey's seem pretty poised to destroy themselves once the old man dies, I could see a long fight or one where Arya kills him unlocks the Great Jon and the wolves sweep in during the initial fight

Sansa v. Littlefinger. She thinks Lothar Brune will never betray/save her from Littlefinger, but Littlefinger tells her once you know what a man wants you can move him and she knows Lothar wants Mya. As the great Illyrio said so confidently, a member of my household will never betray me.

This is from the beginning of Dany's last chapter in ASOS. "The red priests believed in two gods, she had heard, but two who were eternally at war. Dany liked that even less. She would not want to be eternally at war." However, at the end of ADWD, Dany decided that dragons don't plant trees and to embrace fire and blood, which sounds like choosing eternal war. So I think the "eternal war" element will be another reason for Dany to find R'hllor appealing.

She turned back the way she'd come, to where Dragonstone [Drogon's lair] rose above the grasslands like a clenched fist.

it [storm's End] looked from afar like a spiked fist

A black dragon taking a stone fist; does this foreshadow Aegon taking Storm's End?

This probably has been spotted before, but I'm just noticing it myself, so here I go:

AFFC; Arya

Even so, she kept one hand on Needle as they slipped between his legs. More arrow slits dotted the insides of those great stone thighs, and when Arya craned her neck around to watch the crow’s nest slip through with a good ten yards to spare, she spied murder holes beneath the Titan’s armored skirts, and pale faces staring down at them from behind the iron bars.

And then they were past. The shadow lifted, the pine-clad ridges fell away to either side, the winds dwindled, and they found themselves moving through a great lagoon.

Basically, in order to get into the city of Braavos one must pass beneath the shadow...of the Titan's legs. I think this has some interesting implications for Quaithe's whole 'to touch the light, Dany must pass beneath the shadow' thing. Dany is certainly already connected to Braavos b/c of her longing for the House with the Red Door. And in AGOT Dany had this dream:

The door loomed before her, the red door, so close, so close, the hall was a blur around her, the cold receding behind. And now the stone was gone and she flew across the Dothraki sea, high and higher, the green rippling beneath, and all that lived and breathed fled in terror from the shadow of her wings. She could smell home, she could see it, there, just beyond that door, green fields and great stone houses and arms to keep her warm, there. She threw open the door.

"... the dragon . . . "

And saw her brother Rhaegar, mounted on a stallion as black as his armor. Fire glimmered red through the narrow eye slit of his helm. "The last dragon," Ser Jorah's voice whispered faintly. "The last, the last." Dany lifted his polished black visor. The face within was her own.

So in order to get "home" to Westeros, Dany passed through the Red Door, which was in Braavos. And when we last saw her, Dany was flying over the Dothraki sea on Drogon with a Dothraki and his horse fleeing beneath the shadow of the dragon's wings. So part of that dream has already come true in a sense.

Does this mean that Dany's route to Westeros will pass through Braavos? It's an interesting alternative to the shadow=Asshai interpretation, and Dany going to Braavos also ties into Quaithe's 'to go forward, you must go back' foretelling as well, in a way that Asshai does not.

She turned back the way she'd come, to where Dragonstone [Drogon's lair] rose above the grasslands like a clenched fist.

it [storm's End] looked from afar like a spiked fist

A black dragon taking a stone fist; does this foreshadow Aegon taking Storm's End?

There is one other instance of a 'spiked fist' rising from a sea as well:

AFFC; Arya

Ahead rose another sea mont, a knob of rock that pushed up from the water like a spiked fist, its stony battlements bristling with scorpions, spitfires, and trebuchets. “The Arsenal of Braavos,” Denyo named it, as proud as if he’d built it.

This could tie into my Dany going to Braavos theory above, but since we know

from reports on a TWOW Arianne chapter that Aegon did in fact take SE already, I think you're connection is more likely to be the correct one. Although I'd like to believe it's possible that both foreshadowings can be correct here. :)

Archived