The Best Casting and Worst Casting (in your opinion).

Conor

Plain =/= ugly.

Nobody said Ned was a Quasimodo. But he clearly was not a matinee idol type.

He was clearly not, since Cat of AGOT and later books is very much in love with Ned and doesn't have any "Ohh, if only I had married Brandon!" thoughts at all (I don't think her feelings for Brandon were ever that serious, anyway), enjoys sex with Ned and later misses him after he dies thinks longingly of his arms around her etc.... but she still never says anything about Ned being handsome.

Yeah, she points out that her infatuation with having a handsome husband was in fact quite childish. It is a very loving story she narrates about herself and Ned, it especially hits you when she's brought Ned's bones.

I pretty much love every casting so far, but I guess the best in my opinion would be (in no particular order):

1. Peter Dinklage as Tyrion.

2. Sean Bean as Eddard.

3. Charles Dance as Tywin. Perfected Tywin in every way. Easily my favorite casting.

4. Jack Gleeson as Joeffry.

5. Rory McCann as Sandor.

Off the top of my head.

I do hope Madds is cast as Euron.... If Euron is cast at all.

Best: Tywin and Eddard Stark as well as Mountain S4.

Worst: Mountain S2 and Rorge and Biter.

For me the only problem with Ned is his hair in the show. It is clearly not a dark coloured (and Cat's hair is not dark either), while at the same time Robb and Bran got black/dark hair. Hmmm.... does it mean something? :drool:

To me... the worst casting is Ciaran Hinds as Mance Rayder. I'm not sure what it is but I just don't like him for that part.

I TOTALLY agree. Ciaran just doesn't look like a person who became king of several thousand men by strength! He just, I don't know looks very soft to be playing the king of the "wildlings. "

I TOTALLY agree. Ciaran just doesn't look like a person who became king of several thousand men by strength! He just, I don't know looks very soft to be playing the king of the "wildlings. "

Dominic West almost got that role but refused because he thought it was too nerdy or something. IMO he would have been way better.

That's about the least likely complaint I expected to hear about Ciaran Hinds.

For me the only problem with Ned is his hair in the show. It is clearly not a dark coloured (and Cat's hair is not dark either), while at the same time Robb and Bran got black/dark hair. Hmmm.... does it mean something? :drool:

Robb (Richard Madden) isn't exactly as described in the books but I like that they cast an actor with similar colouring to the actress cast as his mother Catelyn (Michelle Fairley). In the books he is supposed to take after the Tullys not the Starks, so I was pleased that the casting reflected this.

Apart from all the mance stuff, I really like what the show has done to margaery Tyrrell. I mean, in the books she is supposed to be a very non ambitious 13 year old girl. But the show margaery has many more layers to her character, one of them being ambitions for her house.

She is not 13, she is 14 in AGOT before we even meet her, and 16 in AFFC. And we don't know that she is "very non-ambitious". What makes you think so? She may very well be very ambitious. We don't know much about her. She presents an image of a sweet, innocent girl, but we don't know what she's really like, since we don't get a Tyrell POV. It's quite likely that, to borrow an expression from one of the commentator on the RacefortheIronThrone blog, the Tyrell family members were all raised to be a "dynastic feudal attack force".

She is not 13, she is 14 in AGOT before we even meet her, and 16 in AFFC. And we don't know that she is "very non-ambitious". What makes you think so? She may very well be very ambitious. We don't know much about her. She presents an image of a sweet, innocent girl, but we don't know what she's really like, since we don't get a Tyrell POV. It's quite likely that, to borrow an expression from one of the commentator on the RacefortheIronThrone blog, the Tyrell family members were all raised to be a "dynastic feudal attack force".

Whenever book Margaery says something, I always think she's a snake in human form. Nobody is that sweet.

Whenever book Margaery says something, I always think she's a snake in human form. Nobody is that sweet.

TOTALLY AGREE.

There is something seriously off about that one....can't wait to find out what it is!!

And in my opinion, Ciarian Hinds was not the best choice for Mance. Just doesn't really have the same chemistry, but I acknowledge he is a formidable actor!

I really enjoyed Carice van Houten who plays Melisandre's performance. Pretty much as I imagined her in the books, sensual with an edge of danger to her. Wonderful.

Originally I wasn't impressed with Jack Gleeson being picked for Joffery, but his range and general doucheness won me over before long. :cool4:

Best: Cersei and Stannis

Worst: Margaery and Season 3-4 Bran

I disagree on Marge, but that's personal I reckon, she certainly handles what she's been given well enough.

As for Season 3-4 Bran, I must wholeheartedly agree. It's just painful to watch the Bran scenes nowadays, and not due to some Jon/Bran-extra scenes shoved into the middle of the season.

Lena and Stephan are putting their all into these characters. They may not be what every book reader expected, but I still think that their own twists are within the realm of how their book counterparts can be interpreted. Stannis especially, he's meant to be brittle. Just take a look at Stephan Dillane's Stannis and I can't imagine that not falling within that mindset. You make an irresponsible judgement, or try to force a foolish argument? Stannis will call you out hard. He's a dick. A brittle dick like that. That's what Show!Stannis does even better. No excuses for the puny.

Archived