Did you believe Aegon was fake from the start, or did you believe he was real?

King of Winters

When it was revealed that Young Griif was in fact Aegon Targaryen, and was swapped with a Flea Bottom baby by Varys, did you believe he was the real deal and son of Rheagar and Elia?

Or did you think he was fake from the start? It doesn't matter if you thought he was a Blackfyre or someone else, but did you refuse to believe he was the actual Aegon that is son of Rheagar and Elia?

Or, like me, did you believe he was real but then found theories on him being a Blackfyre and then went on to believe he's not a Targ or the real Aegon but (F)Aegon, and son of Illyrio and his second wife, Serra, who was a Blackfyre, and sister to Varys.

The devil is in the reread. That opened my eyes. I admit at first, I believed it, but it was just because I wasn`t paying attention and because I wasn`t questioning anything. then, on the reread, I suspected something, and then everything started to fit into its place... Now, I believe he`s fake 100%

I was shocked, but I did believe he was real at first. There were a few things that didn't seem to fit though. Then I came to the forum, and discovered the Blackfyre theory, and everything fell into place.

I was suspicious from the start, he just appeared out of nowhere without any hints or clues leading up to it, something GRRM is known for providing. It would be sloppy writing to keep us guessing who is going to sit the IT only to have Aegon pop up and sit it in the end. It would also reduce the impact of R+L=J being revealed.

I was suspicious from the start, he just appeared out of nowhere without any hints or clues leading up to it, something GRRM is known for providing. It would be sloppy writing to keep us guessing who is going to sit the IT only to have Aegon pop up and sit it in the end. It would also reduce the impact of R+L=J being revealed.

Depends on where his story is going. Ever since that panel where GRRM said that a few people will sit the Iron Throne until the end of the story I've been convinced that Aegon (regardless of his true pedigree) will be one of those people, but will not survive long on it.

I thought it was weird that he appeared all of a sudden in ADWD to claim the throne and his story sounded a bit unconvincing, but I didn't really have a theory as to what was going on. When I came to these forums and read the Blackfyre theory, it all made sense. Now, I really believe he is fake.

Honestly I hope he is fake and will become irrelevant. My next best hope is that He is a Blackfyre.

I think that we are going to see a scenario where he is the real Aegon, and that Dany will come to an agreement with him that she will win the Iron Throne for him and he will rule the 7K for her because he has been educated and cultured and the few people surrounding him think that he will make a very fair and just king. Including Varys who I think is actually a good guy but uses extreme measures.

Anyway, who really knows at this point, but I think that the best scenario is that Aegon become a non-issue quickly (Which may happen due to the Others) because if he is going to end up as the true Targaryan heir, then there are going to have to be more than two more books to this series, and unfornately I will start to have doubts about it's full completion again.

I was expecting a fake (mummers dragon, etc.), and had also been spoiled about the "Aegon" reveal years before the book came out.

That's why I'm always interested to read about the reactions of people who didn't know it was coming. I definitely didn't read Book 5 with a particularly open mind on the subject.

I already wrote this somewhere, but from the start to the end, my main issue concerning Aegon is not whether he is fake or not (I don't actually care, I'll have some unexplainable liking for Aegon either way), but whether GRRM is in his right mind and what the hell Tyrion was thinking.

See, FOUR and a half bleeding books pass without even hinting that something might be up with Jon Connington at least and then BAMM Rhaegar's son is alive. In my humble opinion to bring back a real Aegon just like that is an incredibly bold and risky thing, because his entire plotline is terribly fake and I personally cannot see how GRRM even plans to make it any authentic and based. And brining back a fake Aegon is an unnecessary additional complication to an already overcomplicated plot. Sorry.

As for Tyrion, I will never ever understand how one comes to the conclusion with any previous consideration (we are in his head) that Blue haired kid is the son of Prince Rhaegar who is KNOWN to be dead, only because he has purple eyes. And once he does, HOW does he take so little interest and surprise in the question. It was just not right.

Maybe it's only me...

Oh and I have no idea how this Aegon is Illyrio's son, but that's my fault, I should read after things. Anyway, I don't see the motives... (Illyrio, fakeprince-ing his son, Daenerys/Drogo, Viserys... I just don't see the point, but surely, Illyrio does)

I already wrote this somewhere, but from the start to the end, my main issue concerning Aegon is not whether he is fake or not (I don't actually care, I'll have some unexplainable liking for Aegon either way), but whether GRRM is in his right mind and what the hell Tyrion was thinking.

See, FOUR and a half bleeding books pass without even hinting that something might be up with Jon Connington at least and then BAMM Rhaegar's son is alive. In my humble opinion to bring back a real Aegon just like that is an incredibly bold and risky thing, because his entire plotline is terribly fake and I personally cannot see how GRRM even plans to make it any authentic and based. And brining back a fake Aegon is an unnecessary additional complication to an already overcomplicated plot. Sorry.

As for Tyrion, I will never ever understand how one comes to the conclusion with any previous consideration (we are in his head) that Blue haired kid is the son of Prince Rhaegar who is KNOWN to be dead, only because he has purple eyes. And once he does, HOW does he take so little interest and surprise in the question. It was just not right.

Maybe it's only me...

it's not only you, how Tyrion came to that conclusion is beyond me.

Archived