Did you believe Aegon was fake from the start, or did you believe he was real?

King of Winters

I did believe it at first (I even thought "how smart of Varys to swap them, typically him!"), untill I came on this forum. Then it still took me a while to accept it because it all looked so nice. Him being educated to rule, an alternative heir for Dany, someone good for Sansa to marry. I also looked at some medieval history and there have been lots of (partly succesfull) imposters too, that took away the last doubts.

I did believe it at first (I even thought "how smart of Varys to swap them, typically him!"), untill I came on this forum. Then it still took me a while to accept it because it all looked so nice. Him being educated to rule, an alternative heir for Dany, someone good for Sansa to marry. I also looked at some medieval history and there have been lots of (partly succesfull) imposters too, that took away the last doubts.

Hehehe :D Yes... this forum knows one thing very well. And that's ruining all your illusions and positive thoughts concerning any character or plotline :D

Aegon had been sort of spoiled for me before I got to that part in ADWD, so I had some amount of original doubt about him being real. But even like that, I'm still not convinced he is fake, same as I'm still not convinced he is fake.

When I first read about him I was suspicious. But still glad to see an alternative to Daenerys,if a re-establisment to the Targaryen dynasty is on the way (which I fear and hope won't be coming to place). But coming to this forum, seeing all the brilliant posters, providing ideas with evidence I'm %100 sure he's an imposter.

Until I get any actual evidence of his identity, he's the real deal. I know that there are some good theories around here, but that's all they are, theories.

Am I going to be crucified for this answer?

I already wrote this somewhere, but from the start to the end, my main issue concerning Aegon is not whether he is fake or not (I don't actually care, I'll have some unexplainable liking for Aegon either way), but whether GRRM is in his right mind and what the hell Tyrion was thinking.

See, FOUR and a half bleeding books pass without even hinting that something might be up with Jon Connington at least and then BAMM Rhaegar's son is alive. In my humble opinion to bring back a real Aegon just like that is an incredibly bold and risky thing, because his entire plotline is terribly fake and I personally cannot see how GRRM even plans to make it any authentic and based. And brining back a fake Aegon is an unnecessary additional complication to an already overcomplicated plot. Sorry.

As for Tyrion, I will never ever understand how one comes to the conclusion with any previous consideration (we are in his head) that Blue haired kid is the son of Prince Rhaegar who is KNOWN to be dead, only because he has purple eyes. And once he does, HOW does he take so little interest and surprise in the question. It was just not right.

Maybe it's only me...

Oh and I have no idea how this Aegon is Illyrio's son, but that's my fault, I should read after things. Anyway, I don't see the motives... (Illyrio, fakeprince-ing his son, Daenerys/Drogo, Viserys... I just don't see the point, but surely, Illyrio does)

I agree this Aegon thing was way out of the blue

I already wrote this somewhere, but from the start to the end, my main issue concerning Aegon is not whether he is fake or not (I don't actually care, I'll have some unexplainable liking for Aegon either way), but whether GRRM is in his right mind and what the hell Tyrion was thinking.

See, FOUR and a half bleeding books pass without even hinting that something might be up with Jon Connington at least and then BAMM Rhaegar's son is alive. In my humble opinion to bring back a real Aegon just like that is an incredibly bold and risky thing, because his entire plotline is terribly fake and I personally cannot see how GRRM even plans to make it any authentic and based. And brining back a fake Aegon is an unnecessary additional complication to an already overcomplicated plot. Sorry.

As for Tyrion, I will never ever understand how one comes to the conclusion with any previous consideration (we are in his head) that Blue haired kid is the son of Prince Rhaegar who is KNOWN to be dead, only because he has purple eyes. And once he does, HOW does he take so little interest and surprise in the question. It was just not right.

Maybe it's only me...

Oh and I have no idea how this Aegon is Illyrio's son, but that's my fault, I should read after things. Anyway, I don't see the motives... (Illyrio, fakeprince-ing his son, Daenerys/Drogo, Viserys... I just don't see the point, but surely, Illyrio does)

Totally agree. I couldn't understand how Tyrion would know, and how little he really cared about it after.

Never considered him being real. I read the books too fast the first time around and didn't even really understand who exactly Jon Con was but I don't think slow reading would have changed my mind all that much. I didn't know why he was fake or why he would think he was Aegon son of Rhaegar, but I was pretty sure this was a set-up. Illyrio had a lot to do with it. I was immediately aware he was not a Targaryen supporter considering the role he played in the lives of Dany and Viserys.

Given the mummer's dragon, the obviously bullshit story about the baby swap that doesn't pass the derp test, the hints on and off the page that "an" Aegon might show up, the historical Perkin Warbeck parallel and the general sketchiness of it all, I never thought he was real. The issue for me was never "is he real or isn't he?" but rather, "OK he's obviously not Aegon, so who is he really?"

Until I get any actual evidence of his identity, he's the real deal. I know that there are some good theories around here, but that's all they are, theories.

Am I going to be crucified for this answer?

I completely agree with you.

Given the mummer's dragon, the obviously bullshit story about the baby swap that doesn't pass the derp test, the hints on and off the page that "an" Aegon might show up, the historical Perkin Warbeck parallel and the general sketchiness of it all, I never thought he was real. The issue for me was never "is he real or isn't he?" but rather, "OK he's obviously not Aegon, so who is he really?"

The baby swap theory is pretty plausible.

Depends on where his story is going. Ever since that panel where GRRM said that a few people will sit the Iron Throne until the end of the story I've been convinced that Aegon (regardless of his true pedigree) will be one of those people, but will not survive long on it.

Tommen and Myrcella are a few people, and possibly Jaime acting as the Hand or possibly Cersei

Fake from the start, but I liked it because I thought Martin was saying that bloodlines don't necessarily matter -- that a good leader could rise up from Flea Bottom. The Blackfyre theory doesn't allow for that idea quite so much, but I'd still kind of like to see a Flea Bottom King. I also like Aegon and hope that his demise is not too horrifying.

The baby swap theory is pretty plausible.

Not really, considering that it relies on stuff that was out of Varys' control, being able to find a Valyrian-lookalike baby in Pisswater, that kid's father being willing to sell him for wine, the beneficial-in-hindsight fact that the baby's face was destroyed or that he was killed at all. The big question mark of why they couldn't just smuggle Aegon and Rhaenys out, get them to the Free Cities and not even bother with a switch.

The switch is something that was retconned with the benefit of hindsight, not something that actually happened.

Archived