Tad Williams announces THE LAST KING OF OSTEN ARD, a sequel to MEMORY, SORROW AND THORN

aidan

• 4 weeks later...

LoL. If there's one book you didn't think would be delayed it's the one that was already delayed by a year just by the publishers, and handed in a long time ago ( as we were informed). I remember the disappointment when we were told it would not be released in Spring 2016 but a year later, due to scheduling issues. See page 10 of this very thread in fact.

I guess we'll hear what the excuse is this time.

I suspect the publishers looked at the pre-orders and decided that spacing out the two releases made a bit more sense.

I'm not too fussed. It's only two months and we're still getting the book before the next Bakker, and that's not far off at all.

More like 3 months actually, as it now releases at the end of June and was scheduled for April 4th.

I will be ordering it in the same shipment as TUC, which releases just a week later. That'll be an anticipated delivery :)

Deborah confirmed today in the newsletter that The Witchwood Crown has been delayed again. But as Werthead says, the delay is short, and we'll be getting another Osten Ard book before then anyway. (I'm not too terribly disappointed, but that may be in part because I have already read both novels). Calibandar, hang in there! I know Tad and Deborah did not want a delay.

Ylvs and I read a draft of TWC in May 2015, so much of the writing happened back in 2014.

They will very likely move it.

I don't know for sure but DAW is probably the primary publisher, so Hodder will follow.

Besides, Hodder still has a listing for Empire of Grass on Amazon UK for October 2017. 

So not really updated.

On the other hand it would not be the first time that a major book is published in Europe ahead of the US. I distincly remember Stieg Larson's Millenium series that was out over here much earlier than in the US.

Furthermore Tad's publishers are not exactly known for good cooperation. The publication blunder of the audiobooks for MST is proof of that. So I would not bet my life on Hodder moving the pub date.

It does depend on who is the "primary" publisher and what the deal is. GRRM made separate deals with HarperCollins Voyager and Bantam Spectra, which is why Voyager were able to release ACoK, ASoS and AFFC earlier in the UK than the USA (by five months in ACoK's case!). They late tweaked the contracts so they couldn't do that any more. Scott Lynch's primary publishers are also the British ones (although he's American), so they set the release date and Bantam has to follow in their train.

I suspect with Tad that DAW, who he's been with for decades, are setting the pace and Hodder will have to adjust. But we'll see. They're usually much tighter on it these days because it's so easy now for American fans to order the British edition (or pirate the British ebook) and cost the American publisher sales.

I'm pretty sure that Daw Books have primary rights (or whatever they're called) for anything published by Tad Williams, so Hodder will have to follow suit and delay their pub date.

Since there is no indication that Rothfuss will come through and finish his eagerly awaited final volume this year, The Witchwood Crown will most likely be Daw's bestselling work of 2017. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't let Hodder or anyone else fuck this up. They've got too much riding on this. . .

11 hours ago, ylvs said:

On the other hand it would not be the first time that a major book is published in Europe ahead of the US. I distincly remember Stieg Larson's Millenium series that was out over here much earlier than in the US.

Furthermore Tad's publishers are not exactly known for good cooperation. The publication blunder of the audiobooks for MST is proof of that. So I would not bet my life on Hodder moving the pub date.

What happened with the MST audiobooks?  I've been requesting them at my local library and they keep saying they aren't available.

18 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Heh, I remember one of Robin Hobb's Rainwild books came out months earlier in another language. Holland or Denmark I think?

The Dutch publisher has for years made it a sort of tradition to be a world first with Hobb releases.

Sometimes they've succeeded, sometimes not. Fool's Fate will be published in April in Dutch, whereas the English language edition is in May.

That says nothing about Hodder and Daw by the way, which you seem to be suggesting. Here it matters who the primary publisher, it is after all in the same language and a Dutch-first edition isn't going to be taking away English readers.

Archived