GRRM Vocab

Golden Rose

Is Ice and Fire really written in "Old English"? I am no native english speaker, but I read many english books and the difference in language is massive if you compare Ice and Fire to works that are really old and less so if you compare it to recent literature.

Reading books written in Old English certainly alters how I speak sometimes. For example, I often say "Gods be good" and people find me weird.

What are the other phrases or words you took up from reading aSoIaF series?

Were there really people who said "Gods be good"? I always thought, that GRRM invented the phrase.

ASoIaF is not "Old English", or anything of the sort. It's actually pretty modern American English, with a archaic few phrases and words. Compare it with Lord of the Rings, for example. Tolkien is constantly using archaic words and phrases. That's what makes it both more poetic and more difficult to read.

ASoIaF is not "Old English", or anything of the sort. It's actually pretty modern American English, with a archaic few phrases and words. Compare it with Lord of the Rings, for example. Tolkien is constantly using archaic words and phrases. That's what makes it both more poetic and more difficult to read.

That is one of the multiple reasons why I prefer Tolkien.

Of course you are correct, but I think this is what Golden Rose meant. The entire grammatical structure is archaic in the Silmarillion, along with words and expressions, making it one of the most beautiful pieces of literature I've ever read.

an eccentric phrase from ASOIAF is "much and more". There is much and more to be said for it as an expression...

I always liked "In his cups" I know GRRM didn't invent the phrase but it's rarely used and he has almost made it his own...

an eccentric phrase from ASOIAF is "much and more". There is much and more to be said for it as an expression...

I always liked "In his cups" I know GRRM didn't invent the phrase but it's rarely used and he has almost made it his own...

That one is used frequently in historical fiction.

I quite like the use of the word 'leal' and the phrases 'words are wind' 'much and more'.

Which didn't stand out enough to be noticed in reading and should be used more.

I've used 'gods be good' and on occasion I've used much and more.

That is one of the multiple reasons why I prefer Tolkien.

There are two moments in my life as a non-native English speaker I am proud of, because they proved my proficiency in this language. One was when I had my first real argument with my English boyfriend in perfectly fluent and idiomatic English. The other was when I read the whole Lord of the Rings without even going to the dictionary. All those years reading Shakespeare really paid off.

I believe that's also because Tolkien was a linguist and made the entire Lord of The Rings just to explore language and make his own languages.

I personally think medieval fantasy doesn't need to sound like Tolkien, therefore I find the middle ground GRRM has chosen more than pleasant. In my opinion, a few carefully chosen idioms and terms derived from the old language, as well as certain grammatical structures are enough to set the tone of authenticity. The rest of the tone is drawn from the overall story, the milieu etc. As much as Tolkien's writings are a work of linguistic art, my faithfulness to him makes it hard if not impossible to read other people trying to write in a similar manner. Emphasis on the word 'trying', as in people deliberately mimicking his style. It is another thing completely to read his actual contemporaries or predecessors.

As to what parts of GRRM's language I've adopted myself, I think 'gods be good' is something I slip out almost automatically. I also like 'mayhaps' and 'would that I could'.

Archived