Scott Lynch II: Read The Lies of Locke Lamora and Win at Life!

Werthead

Chataya: "Say, Scott, are you coming to WorldCon so we can inundate you with more questions?"

Not this year, alas. I will be at the World Fantasy Convention in Austin, TX from November 2-6, and next year's San Diego Comicon in late July. Plus my usual summer con (CONvergence, in Bloomington, MN) and hopefully Wiscon. And in all likelihood KeyCon up in Winnipeg. Cripes.

Red Sun: "sometimes, the switch from third-person limited POV to all-knowing POV or from one character to another was not always clear. That's something I'm a bit anal about. "

You and my editor at Bantam, Anne Groell. :) She impressed upon me the importance of POV discipline and while I didn't slip *too* much in TLOLL, I am trying to slip not at all from this point forward.

Crannogman: Glad you liked it!

Relic: "And, just to add, its fucking awesome that you have a Locke avatar Mr. Lynch."

Thanks! I love my SNES emulator. I have Edgar and Cyan icons ready to go, too.

Red Sun: "I think that neither author really knows twins, because they only use them as funny sidekick characters. In the case of Lynch, I hope that we get some more "real" impressions from them in the flashbacks of the next novels. I missed it in this book."

In my own defense, I have known quite a few sets of identical twins. In fact, on my U-16 soccer team we had three sets of twins. The looks of sheer confusion on the faces of many other teams' players were fantastic, even when we got our butts kicked. Which was often. But moving right along...

SPOILER: The Lies of Locke Lamora
Calo and Galdo engage in a game that nearly all the twins I've known have indulged in at one time or another; namely, concealing who's who from the outside world. Now, most of the twins I've known also set this aside for awhile and actively sought to differentiate themselves in their teen years, because the teen years are goofy and hormonal. For the sake of not overrunning the already generous page space I was given for TLOLL, I decided to have Calo and Galdo more or less be comfortable with their double-act about 80% of the time for their outward demeanor. A bit lazy, yes, but effective.

SPOILER: The Republic of Thieves
Calo and Galdo will return in Book III's flashback sequences as teenagers, and you will see a great deal more of their individual personalities, since I'll have room for 'em.

Voland: "So, when's the next one coming out again?"

June, 2007. As for whom you should bug, I vote for... not I! (Dashes out of the room and dives out a window).

Bug Pat!

Cheers,

SL

Voland: "So, when's the next one coming out again?"

June, 2007. As for whom you should bug, I vote for... not I! (Dashes out of the room and dives out a window).

Bug Pat!

Cheers,

SL

Well fuck me running. That's quite the long time! :cry: Gimme now, now now now :tantrum:

*Grabs pitchfork, makes very own scorpionhawk with 1 hawk, 1 roll of ducttape and 2 scorpions, and jumps after*

I just got my book in the mail a couple of days ago, and I have a complaint. When I get home from my night time job I take a shower and then read for a little bit before I take my two/two and a half hour nap before my daytime job. Usually, the reading helps relax my mind, and I'm nodding in minutes. With this book however, the more I read, the more I want to keep reading; I become more alert and nap time gets further and further away. I can't put it down, I cannot sleep, and you, Scott, are to blame. My only solace is that tonight is my last night at my second job, so now I will be able to sleep and read instead of choosing between the two.

Also, I'm not sure if this was mentioned in the other thread (by god, it should've been), but I was just perusing the dustjacket of my copy when I saw the photo in the about the author section, and I must say that you, sir, have very lovely hair. That is all.

Red Sun: "sometimes, the switch from third-person limited POV to all-knowing POV or from one character to another was not always clear. That's something I'm a bit anal about. "

You and my editor at Bantam, Anne Groell. :) She impressed upon me the importance of POV discipline and while I didn't slip *too* much in TLOLL, I am trying to slip not at all from this point forward.

:lol: I think it will be an improvement in an otherwise well-written book.

Red Sun: "I think that neither author really knows twins, because they only use them as funny sidekick characters. In the case of Lynch, I hope that we get some more "real" impressions from them in the flashbacks of the next novels. I missed it in this book."

In my own defense, I have known quite a few sets of identical twins. In fact, on my U-16 soccer team we had three sets of twins. The looks of sheer confusion on the faces of many other teams' players were fantastic, even when we got our butts kicked. Which was often. But moving right along...

SPOILER: The Republic of Thieves
Calo and Galdo will return in Book III's flashback sequences as teenagers, and you will see a great deal more of their individual personalities, since I'll have room for 'em.

The twins I know, admittedly not identical, were also very competitive about their goals in life, and it was important for them to be identified as individual people. I think the pranks they played make sense when they were children, so I'm looking forward to see more of them in later books.

Thanks for answering my questions. :)

Me too, I think the New Zealand post could rival them. They said it's be 7-10 days when I first ordered it, I rang them impatiently in a week and got someone else who said "Duhh, our edition isn't published yet, it'll be out in September. Want to order the American version?" "*clenched teeth* yes please!"... I guess I can handle a few "honor"s and "center"s if it means I get it a month earlier.

I'd just like to stop lurking for a moment and say, that was one of the best books I've ever read. If Lies is indicative of what the rest of the books will be like, you've cracked into my favorite authors list with only one book. :D

I'd also like your thoughts on the release schedule if you don't mind, I hope your publisher gave you enough of a lead time to write before releasing Lies. Trying to write another book like that every year would just be insane. :sick:

I had to make a trip to the Big City to buy this book, since Amazon won't deliver to where I am. I was fortunate to find it on sale at Borders in Reno, and started reading it on the plane to LA. When I was staying with a friend over the weekend, she asked, "Do you ever put that book down?" I said no, although I did stop for the wedding I was at...finished today.

Was very engrossing; the only issue I had was the same one with Red Sun. I like a consistent POV scheme. Otherwise, count me among the fans. :D

Scott: Hope it's okay, but I've taken it upon myself to pimp the book over at Terry Moore's unofficial/official fan forum...another place I frequent...

The crowd seemed ripe for some good book recommendations... :P

I'm reading this right now :D

Locke and the supporting cast remind me of a Dorothy Dunnett character (Lymond or Niccolo), and the renaissance Venice-esque setting is so very Dunnett too. Has Scott read Dunnett? Now I loved the House of Niccolo, so that's not a bad thing. Sort of Dunnett set in a China Mieville dystopia. :mellow:

Well, I have ~100 pages to go so I should stop reading this thread so that I don't accidentally read any of the spoilers.

Cheers,

LLL has only twelve reviews on Amazon- that's pathetic! If everyone on this board who's liked this book were to vote, we could increase that number at least five-fold.

P. Diddy says: "Vote or die! :tantrum: "

LLL has only twelve reviews on Amazon- that's pathetic! If everyone on this board who's liked this book were to vote, we could increase that number at least five-fold.

P. Diddy says: "Vote or die! :tantrum: "

I was actually on amazon and came close to submitting one but i suck at writing reviews.

Archived