[Book Spoilers] R+L=J and other theories on HBO V.2

Suzanna Stormborn

He was contractually obligated to provide them with the correct original ending, and I'd be shocked if HBO didn't put some clause in there stopping him from changing it. So I doubt he can change anything that isn't a small detail, or HBO will sue his ass out of his house.

Ummm I'd say he couldn't change everything, but he absolutely could make a few major changes here and there if he wanted to. Here's GRRM's exact quote on the matter:

“I can give them the broad strokes of what I intend to write, but the details aren’t there yet."

At this rate the show(if ended in 7 seasons like D&D suggest) might be over before he even starts writing the seventh book. Who are they to say he misled them when he's made it clear he hasn't figured everything out yet? There are multiple major character arcs and plotlines to sort through in the books, who's to say he's given them the exact ending to all of them at this point? Maybe the show&books will end up having the same ending for Dany but a different ending for Jon? I think you're underestimating the wiggle room he has in the contract. He's a consultant for the show, obviously they have the rights to the books but if the show finishes before he's even done writing the seventh book and therefore has made no valid commitment towards the finished product how are they going define where he broke the contract terms? Seems like a remarkarbly difficult thing for HBO to try to prove in a lawsuit.

Ummm I'd say he absolutely can considering he himself hasn't entirely figured it out yet. Here's GRRM's exact quote on the matter:

“I can give them the broad strokes of what I intend to write, but the details aren’t there yet."

At this rate the show(if ended in 7 seasons like D&D suggest) might be over before he even starts writing the seventh book. Who are they to say he misled them when he's made it clear he hasn't figured everything out yet? There are multiple major characters arcs and plotlines to sort through in the books, who's to say he's given them the exact ending to all of them at this point? Maybe the show&books will end up having the same ending for Dany but a different ending for Jon? I think your underestimating the wiggle room he has in the contract. He's a consultant for the show, obviously they have the rights to the books but if the show finishes before he's even done writing the seventh book and therefore has made no valid commitment towards the finished product how are they going define where he broke the contract terms? Seems like a remarkarbly difficult thing for HBO to try to prove in a lawsuit.

They're the people with the exact copy of what he told them aka undeniable prove that he changed the ending. So it's INCREDIBLY easy to prove in a court room. All they would need are 3 things: the contract, the documents he gave them, and the actual book. It'd be one of the easiest lawsuits ever, a monkey could win against him.

Contracts don't really leave "wiggle room"- they're VERY VERY clear because there's shit tons of money at stake. There's a reason that contracts lawyers get paid lots of money, it's so that whoever they're representing gets EXACTLY what they want. In this case, HBO would want the correct ending. They wouldn't have signed the contract if that's not what they got. The fact that the books won't finish until after the show is irrelevant. They paid for ASOIAF, not a version of ASOIAF.

They sat down and went over the exact endings for each character last year or something. They know where the arcs end up now. And they've known broadly who ends up where since the beginning.

There's not going to be a difference for the major players and arcs. If Dany dies, then she dies. If she ends up on the IT, then she'll end up on the IT.

Sorry, but the ending is going to be spoiled. Nothing will change that. Everyone (especially George) needs to just accept that.

They're the people with the exact copy of what he told them aka undeniable prove that he changed the ending. So it's INCREDIBLY easy to prove in a court room. All they would need are 3 things: the contract, the documents he gave them, and the actual book. It'd be one of the easiest lawsuits ever, a monkey could win against him.

Contracts don't really leave "wiggle room"- they're VERY VERY clear because there's shit tons of money at stake. There's a reason that contracts lawyers get paid lots of money, it's so that whoever they're representing gets EXACTLY what they want. In this case, HBO would want the correct ending. They wouldn't have signed the contract if that's not what they got. The fact that the books won't finish until after the show is irrelevant. They paid for ASOIAF, not a version of ASOIAF.

They sat down and went over the exact endings for each character last year or something. They know where the arcs end up now. And they've known broadly who ends up where since the beginning.

There's not going to be a difference for the major players and arcs. If Dany dies, then she dies. If she ends up on the IT, then she'll end up on the IT.

Sorry, but the ending is going to be spoiled. Nothing will change that. Everyone (especially George) needs to just accept that.

Sorry but I don't think that's an absolute certainty and D&D have already stated they will kill off certain charaters on the show who won't die in the books. Again I'm just sayin it's possible, and I wouldn't be suprised either way.

Sorry but I don't think that's an absolute certainty and D&D have already stated they will kill off certain charaters on the show who won't die in the books. Again I'm just sayin it's possible, and I wouldn't be suprised either way.

Every time it comes up, they've stated how much they love the ending. They have for years. They won't change that.

Those were minor characters, not important ones. Pyp, Grenn, that one Dothraki guy. They will be different. If you saying that Arya or Tyrion or Dany or Jon are going to end up different places that's not gonna happen.

Every time it comes up, they've stated how much they love the ending. They have for years. They won't change that.

Those were minor characters, not important ones. Pyp, Grenn, that one Dothraki guy. They will be different. If you saying that Arya or Tyrion or Dany or Jon are going to end up different places that's not gonna happen.

What? They weren't talking about past charaters, they literally just said this in a recent interview about season 5 and beyond. They're talking about characters that are still on the show RIGHT NOW. GRRM in a seperate interview also specifically stated that BOOK READERS will be SHOCKED by the deaths, beause they will be characters who won't die in the books.

Well don't forget this scene from last season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU1r03wst_8

It's no secret that Mel is most likely going to try to sacrifice Shireen at some point so what did she mean when she told Selyse she'd, "need her help soon"? Was she only talking about help making sure Shireen came with them, or did she mean something more sinister? Peharps Selyse tries to harm Shireen and gets caught in the act?

Which gets her killed. Stannis then needs a new wife. And who just happens to be in Winterfell, the place Stannis is about to take? Sansa.

Stannis takes Winterfell. He then annuls Sansa's marriage to Tyrion, and marries her himself. This solves his problem of uniting the north and is the only real reason to send Sansa to Winterfell, where he is about to be.

What? They weren't talking about past charaters, they literally just said this in a recent interview about season 5 and beyond. They're talking about characters that are still on the show RIGHT NOW. GRRM in a seperate interview also specifically stated that BOOK READERS will be SHOCKED by the deaths, beause they will be characters who won't die in the books.

Yes, I know. I was simply giving examples of minor characters. Since they're, you know, dead when they're clearly alive in the books it's easiest to say they had a different ending. Which I guess I thought you could have figured out on your own but whatever.

George has said lots of things in interviews recently. Read the whole interview that statement comes from. The whole thing comes across as petty and desperate. He's either delusional or in denial right now, so I don't think anyone should listen to anything he's been saying. Giving attention to him will just make it worse.

• 1 month later...

^^ Yes they did!!!

that's why Mance was staring at Tormund the whole time, and unless I am mistaken, I think their eyes switch colors towards the end.

Mel glamoured them, Tormund burned and Mance is still alive. They hid it well on the show, but why else would Mance keep staring at Tormund like that?

ALso, did anyone else notice on the show that Stannis hinted strongly that he could absolve Jon of his NW vows, like it would be no problem at all? I think that is going to come into play again later on.

^^ Yes they did!!!

that's why Mance was staring at Tormund the whole time, and unless I am mistaken, I think their eyes switch colors towards the end.

Mel glamoured them, Tormund burned and Mance is still alive. They hid it well on the show, but why else would Mance keep staring at Tormund like that?

ALso, did anyone else notice on the show that Stannis hinted strongly that he could absolve Jon of his NW vows, like it would be no problem at all? I think that is going to come into play again later on.

Hope not.Show is trying to keep things simple and my unsslied would confused(a lot).It seems lile "final" to me,but certainly this glamour stuff is something, I could do without.

As for Jon's wows.It certainly could play part in the future,but I loved how show is finally adress history and past problems.I'm talking about Barry/Dany scene.All we need are some Rhaegar/Lyanna stories.

Archived