Small questions v.10081

Angalin

Thanks @το πειρατικο καραβι!

So, to sum up, Cersei is charged with: adultery, incest (both high treason, because she was still married to King Robert), regicide, and deicide.

Was it questioned by this trial the paternity of the kids? Or despite all Cersei's charges, Tommen is never questioned as Robert's heir?

I know he is questioned, but I mean if officially he is questioned in this particular trial.

But why would they be bending their knee to Mace then? The Tyrells would be helping the crown then.

It's a weird sentence, I think.

Maybe that's exactly why he bent the knee to Tyrell, on behalf of the Crown. Something like when Mace bent the knee to Ned. IDK, it's probably a weird sentence, like you said.

Thanks @το πειρατικο καραβι!

So, to sum up, Cersei is charged with: adultery, incest (both high treason, because she was still married to King Robert), regicide, and deicide.

Was it questioned by this trial the paternity of the kids? Or despite all Cersei's charges, Tommen is never questioned as Robert's heir?

I know he is questioned, but I mean if officially he is questioned in this particular trial.

In the prologue of Dance it is stated that she is charge with regicide, deicide, incest and high treason. The charges of incest and high treason are not mutually exclusive. If she loses her trial by combat then her children would be considered bastards born of incest. The walk of shame was her punishment for sleeping with Lancel and the Kettleblacks.

When Pyat Pree leaves Daenerys at the house of Xaro he gives her an ointment that he swears will allow her to see the spirits of the air. Do we know what this is? Does she use it? Does she still have it?

But why would they be bending their knee to Mace then? The Tyrells would be helping the crown then.

It's a weird sentence, I think.

I think that Randyll went to Highgarden to renew his oaths of fealty. Similar to Jojen and Meera in Clash renewing their oaths of fealty to Winterfell.

I've been wondering for a while how Oberyn didn't notice that Sansa was wearing poison in her jewelry at the purple wedding? If I recall it correctly they talk for a while and since he was an expert in poisons shouldn't he be able to see that those amethysts were actually poison?

Maybe I'm mistaken but I always thought that the amethysts were some kind of crystallized form of the poison that then it would dissolve in water/wine but I guess that if the amethysts were only some kind of recipient for the poison then Oberyn couldn't guess it was poison, of course.

So I would like your help to make things clearer! :)

Sansa was wearing a necklace in the show but in the book it is a hairnet. However, in both cases there is no reason Oberyn should suspect they are poison. Maester Cressen, who actually uses them, describes the basically as amethysts. Unless you knew they were there I doubt you could tell the difference

Just on a re-read of ADWD, and there is a scene where Missandei is bathing Dany and she mentions hearing scratching in the walls, it's dismissed by Dany but I can't remember if this is something that is explained later on?

There was no girl for Ned yet, though Lord Ryswell was trying to get Rickard to betroth Ned to Barbary.

Benjen took the plea of the black brother at Harrenhal to hearth, so I think from that moment on, Benjen wanted to join the NW at some point in his life. The war and its outcome caused Benjen to join so early, and he later expressed some regret about it (at the welcoming feast to Jon).

The more older brothers you have as a boy, the more difficult it becomes to find a good match for you, because of the low chances that you'll inherit anything. A third son, however, is not impossible. The chances for Benjen were always somewhat bigger than for, say, Ned to join the NW, but especially after the war, with Neds only heir a small babe, it was a strange thing to do, joining the NW. Most people would have waited until there were more heirs around, and he children were somewhat older and more likely to reach adulthood.

Thanks for the reply! (And same to everyone else who chimed in).

I hadn't given much thought to why Benjen may have joined the NW (outside of my question that is). It seems there is definitely a lot more to ponder than first thought!

Sansa was wearing a necklace in the show but in the book it is a hairnet. However, in both cases there is no reason Oberyn should suspect they are poison. Maester Cressen, who actually uses them, describes the basically as amethysts. Unless you knew they were there I doubt you could tell the difference

Exactly. And to add to this, Oberyn spoke with Sansa while leaving the breakfast, and not during the actual weddingfeast, IIRC. Sansa only wore the hairnet to the weddingfeast, I seem to recall.

Just on a re-read of ADWD, and there is a scene where Missandei is bathing Dany and she mentions hearing scratching in the walls, it's dismissed by Dany but I can't remember if this is something that is explained later on?

Two ideas:

1) this is the sound of Viserion and Rhaegal making noises in the makeshift dragon pit, possible digging the nests

2) some skullduggery going on in the back passageways of the Great Pyramid.

ETA: On re-reading and doing some checking in ADwD, it is almost definitely Viserion digging the nest.

In the prologue of Dance it is stated that she is charge with regicide, deicide, incest and high treason. The charges of incest and high treason are not mutually exclusive. If she loses her trial by combat then her children would be considered bastards born of incest. The walk of shame was her punishment for sleeping with Lancel and the Kettleblacks.

:thumbsup: Yeah, Kevan explains it plainly in the epilogue, I've just done a quick re-read. Thank you!

Were Ned and Catelyn married by a septon or before a weirwood tree? Or both?

By a septon:

And one day fifteen years ago, this second father had become a brother as well, as he and Ned stood together in the sept at Riverrun to wed two sisters, the daughters of Lord Hoster Tully.

I hadn't given much thought to why Benjen may have joined the NW (outside of my question that is). It seems there is definitely a lot more to ponder than first thought!

Could be the same reason Mormont did, because he believed the Night's Watch is important (which is indicated by his dialogue, too) and knew that it's failing, so he wanted to help.

When Pyat Pree leaves Daenerys at the house of Xaro he gives her an ointment that he swears will allow her to see the spirits of the air. Do we know what this is? Does she use it? Does she still have it?

It may just be some drug-laced ointment that would get her high and see would "see spirits." Unless it comes up again, it probably is nothing of consequence.

There are a lot of theories regarding Missandei, you should be able to find them on here. Some think she is a faceless woman, citing her seeming super hearing on a few occasions, her incredible language skills, excessive reading, and her ability to sneak up on Ser Barristan.

Did Neds bones ever make it back to winterfel?

Her lips twisted. It was an ugly smile, a smile that reminded him of Ramsay's. "Catelyn Tully dispatched Lord Eddard's bones north before the Red Wedding, but your iron uncle seized Moat Cailin and closed the way. I have been watching ever since. Should those bones ever emerge from the swamps, they will get no farther than Barrowton." She threw one last lingering look at the likeness of Eddard Stark. "We are done here."

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned...

Archived