(BOOK SPOILERS) Discussing Sansa XI: Lies and Arbor Gold

Welcome to the 11th Discussing Sansa thread. I've been asked by Mladen to start this one on his behalf, and I'm starting it early to avoid the expected overload after the episode airs.

This is a thread for a discussion of Sansa's role in the episode 4.08 "The Mountain an the Viper". Please try to limit the conversation - whether it's speculation before the episode, or discussion of the episode after it has aired - to Sansa's appearance in this episode and anything that is relevant to it, instead of making general comments about Sansa. However, the discussion may contain book spoilers for Sansa's entire arc in the books, so don't read it if you have, for instance, read only up to A Storm of Swords.

I think and hope that they're going to emphasize on Sansa being in control of the situation e.g. deciding Petyr's faith, by choosing to tell the truth or lie. Those few moments where you get to see Sansa play the game of thrones herself, or discussing strategy with LF are so important to me!

I think and hope that they're going to emphasize on Sansa being in control of the situation e.g. deciding Petyr's faith, by choosing to tell the truth or lie. Those few moments where you get to see Sansa play the game of thrones herself, or discussing strategy with LF are so important to me!

I agree. I have a friend who doesn't believe me that Sansa can play the game and I'm tired of hearing about how much she sucks compared to the other Starks.

Sansa is going to show tonight that she is starting to change from the sheltered little maiden into a legitimate budding player. And Sansa is not even close to being a favorite character of mine. At this point in the books she Atleast becomes interesting IMO.

So confirmed, the Vale Lords know her identity. Wondering if Sansa believes LF is truly her only friend.

Also loving how good of a liar she is.

yes, it looks like twow stuff. and yes, she's definitely come a long way in the art of lying.

TV-Sansa looks like she is subtly encouraging Littlefinger's lust for her; which I don't like.

in all honesty she doesn't look like she is subtly doing anything. very interesting but as i said in the discussion thread, it feels too quick. this should have happened a little later.

It sort of changes the dynamic of what the role of Alayne means for Sansa. This portrays it as just her playing a part and everyone who matters already knows who she really is. It seems she cannot ever assume the persona as deeply as she did in the books. Perhaps the ability to assume the role of Alayne with great depth is irrelevant to her progression in the book.

And was I mistaken, or was her hair black in that final scene? Or was it just the lighting?

Just the lighting.

The writers of the show are really fond of zero-to-sixty character shifts. This is one of the more dramatic ones even by their standards (complete with vampy wardrobe change). I like seeing the character portrayed as competent, but they really could have stood to ease into this.

One thing I will say (I noted this before somewhere else), but Sophie Turner is one of the only actors on this show (Conleth Hill, perhaps, being the other, though with Varys' murky motivations it's hard to tell) who plays her character acting as if she possesses all of the acting skills of Sophie Turner, without any actorly cues to convey that she's being dishonest (Natalie Dormer's Margaery, for instance, is so obviously dissembling whenever she's "playing the game" that it's a wonder anyone believes her; and I love Dormer, don't get me wrong; Aiden Gillen is another obvious example).

I'm kind of unclear why they cast somebody to play Corbray on the show; his part in the story would seem totally unnecessary. I was uncertain about the guy they cast to play Bronze Yohn, but even though he doesn't really fit the novel's physical description, I liked his portrayal. Very dry.

Speechless. Sansa reveals herself to the Lord Declarants. Uncharted territory entered now. Seven hells I don't know how to react. And now she's Brown/Black haired with a Dark Phoenix/ Katniss/ Gothic Vixen look ? This is just too much to deal with. I'm quite concerned about the many possible implications of what we've seen.

And was I mistaken, or was her hair black in that final scene? Or was it just the lighting?

her hair does look black. in fact, her entire look was black - her jewelry was large and black, her dress was black and seemed to have feathers on it, and her expression looked black. it would seem that sansa has gone over to the dark side.

I was .amazed at Sansa's performance; she has become quite the actress strictly speaking I must say I did enjoy this switch up more than her still hiding in the shadows within the books. It also makes me love her even more than before; I can't wait until next week to see what is to come next.

Was it just me or did Sansa look like Maleficent?

I was thinking more that Sansa went full Black Swan...although considering that some have said that the idea of Sansa is essentially that of a Disney princess parachuted into a Crapsack World, that she dresses up like a Disney villain to mark her transformation would be fitting.

Speechless. Sansa reveals herself to the Lord Declarants. Uncharted territory entered now. Seven hells I don't know how to react. And now she's Brown/Black haired with a Dark Phoenix/ Katniss/ Gothic Vixen look ? This is just too much to deal with. I'm quite concerned about the many possible implications of what we've seen.

I don't think it's anything to flip out over but I definitely consider that WoW spoiler material. Lord Royce knows who she is. That's huge.

Archived