(BOOK SPOILERS) Discussing Sansa XI: Lies and Arbor Gold

I'm not going to read the entire thread (fun as it might be), but man, did they changed absolutely everything now!

They didn't just streamline Feast, they fucking skipped it and jumped right at WoW instead!

Robin is going, LF is practically declaring war against the Iron Throne, Sansa is Maleficent...I mean, just give us Harry the Heir in the next episode and be done with it!

To be fair, there wasn't much to be skipped over anyway.

So...Vale tour in Season 5, I guess? The horrible part is that if TWOW is unreleased by the time Season 5 rolls around, we'll have no way of knowing if the Vale tour is truly TWOW material or is just a filler arc contrived to kill time until the rest of the characters are caught up. :(

They didn't just streamline Feast, they fucking skipped it and jumped right at WoW instead!

I sort of love the idea of D&D taking one look at Sansa's AFFC arc, saying "Nah, fuck that shit" and tossing it aside to get to the good stuff.

So...Vale tour in Season 5, I guess? The horrible part is that if TWOW is unreleased by the time Season 5 rolls around, we'll have no way of knowing if the Vale tour is truly TWOW material or is just a filler arc contrived to kill time until the rest of the characters are caught up. :(

If he drops any more samples it better be Sansa :devil:

Perhaps you're right. Maybe they cut that scene. Seem to me it would have looked perfect/been perfectly placed after the testimony scene. Although, I don't see the point of dying her hair now. She's not taking on the "Alayne Stone" personality and the Lords of the Vale already know who she is.

Everybody else still needs to think she is Alyane Stone.

If he drops any more samples it better be Sansa :devil:

GRRM did say words to the effect that the bumped Sansa TWOW chapter would kick off a new storyline for Sansa, although I don't think "Vale tour for Sweetrobin with the Vale lords behind Littlefinger" was the new storyline fans had in mind.

Even though we seem to be vaulting past the books, I think Season 5 might "double back" and seemingly "leftover" AFFC material might find its way piecemeal into Season 5: Sansa could still meet and have a similar conversation with Myranda (...although Bronze Yohn might entrust her with the secret, I guess), Sansa could still wind up playing mother to Sweetrobin, Littlefinger could still start poisoning Sweetrobin slowly, etc.

To be fair, there wasn't much to be skipped over anyway.

I know there wasn't a lot there, but if they had at least kept LF's awesome manipulations through Corbray and Nestor I would have been fine

I sort of love the idea of D&D taking one look at Sansa's AFFC arc, saying "Nah, fuck that shit" and tossing it aside to get to the good stuff.

Here's hoping they do the same with Dany's aDwD arc, for real

Sad thing is that George has no one to blame but himself for this. He's had plenty of time to finish this series but he is milking this cash cow for all that is worth at the expense of his series, potential, legacy. If the show finishes before the books it just will not be the same as it could have been. George has said in many of interviews he enjoys his dump trucks full of money. The world traveling, the writing an episode a season, the side projects, the tv spots, etc are all things that take GRRM out of the one room he will write in and further delay the release of this damn book, let alone another after it. And it's looking more and more like the show is going to pass the books before it's all said and done, especially knowing that TWOW is not coming out this year. It will be a real slap in the face to his avid readers for them to have to avoid the internet for 5 years while he finishes ADOS because he wanted to cash in.

GRRM did say words to the effect that the bumped Sansa TWOW chapter would kick off a new storyline for Sansa, although I don't think "Vale tour for Sweetrobin with the Vale lords behind Littlefinger" was the new storyline fans had in mind.

Even though we seem to be vaulting past the books, I think Season 5 might "double back" and seemingly "leftover" AFFC material might find its way piecemeal into Season 5: Sansa could still meet and have a similar conversation with Myranda (...although Bronze Yohn might entrust her with the secret, I guess), Sansa could still wind up playing mother to Sweetrobin, Littlefinger could still start poisoning Sweetrobin slowly, etc.

What storylines fans have in mind, & what storylines GRRM writes are OFTEN very separate things. You make great points about where AFFC/ADWD chapters can still go.

Was I the only one reminded of this when Sansa appeared at the top of the staircase? :D ("Laney" sounding like "Alayne" is probably a coincidence...OR IS IT????? :D)

Even though it looks like Season 5 will leave the Eyrie and therefore the need for climbing mules in the dust, there could still be a Mya Stone character who was pretty much exactly like Mya except for the mule part. Maybe TV Mya could handle the horses, or something.

Sansa's Heel turn was epic, she's a legit player in the game now. LF is going to get played like a chump, just watch.

TV-LF deserves to get played like a chump; he's less than half as smart as his book counterpart. What, just leave Alayne, the only witness to the sudden flight of the Lady of the Eyrie out the Moon Door, alone and think that the Lords of the Vale won't call her to testify on LF's say-so? Too stupid to live.

TV-LF deserves to get played like a chump; he's less than half as smart as his book counterpart. What, just leave Alayne, the only witness to the sudden flight of the Lady of the Eyrie out the Moon Door, alone and think that the Lords of the Vale won't call her to testify on LF's say-so? Too stupid to live.

I assumed at first that was all part of the act, but the scene afterward with the two of them made it seem like it wasn't, which makes him look like a dumbass.

Agreed. What made Book LF so clever is that he was much better at controlling all potential outcomes so that he would always come out on top no matter how things shook out. However, TV LF was screwed in that moment and knew it, as D&D say on "Inside the Episode."

It does tend to diminish Sansa as a budding player if the only way to level the playing field is to dumb down Littlefinger significantly. Outfoxing TV Littlefinger is not nearly as impressive as outfoxing Book Littlefinger would be.

I'm just so glad to see Sansa is finally playing the game, more overtly at this point than in the books; actually I'm quite surprised. The fact that they rushed into this new material, Sansa revealing who she is, seems like there are good things in store for her character next season. And I think the unsullied who can't stand Sansa may have a new appreciation for her after this episode. I can't wait to see how this develops.

Oh, and the hound showing up with Arya at the blood gate? Obviously Arya has to get to Bravos, but could there potentially be a new storyline for the hound at the Vale? It would seem silly for them to turn back now.
It wasn't clear whether Sansa revealing her identity is going to be kept a secret, so if the hound knew that Sansa is at the Eyrie...

I have to say something: I need, (need!) a scene with Roose and Littlefinger together, only so we can marvel at the fact that human voice can be so soothing and so fucking annoying.

The Vale storyline is not turning out great for voices. Someone on the recap thread stated that Sophie Turner has one of the worst actress voices they've ever heard, and although I think that's overstating it, she does have an irritating voice. Put her voice and Littlefinger's garbled-Irish-by-way-of-a-Batman-voice-imitation in a scene together, and it's like nails on a chalkboard.

Michael McElhatton, on the other hand...his voice is like amber flowing over velvet. He should be doing audiobooks, if he isn't already.

Add Tyrion to that mix, too.

Peter Dinklage actually has a lovely speaking voice outside GOT, in my opinion, but THAT ACCENT. SWEET CHRIST.

Archived