Why would Benjen Stark join the Nights Watch?

Why the hell would Benjen join the nights watch????

We have a son of Winterfell who in the prime of his life ( who knows exact age?) joins the Nights Watch. That just doesn't sit right with me he would have had a pretty good gig keeping a holdfast in Neds name I'm sure he would have been a sought after husband even being a third son. Why join the Nights Watch at all unless their is an underlying reason?

Assuming he has no clue about the " real threat" beyond the wall, I don't see joining the Nights Watch as redeeming much of anything. Going to hang out with a bunch of raggamuffins at the wall chasing wildlings doesn't seem as honorable as it might have in the old days. I guess if he blamed himself for the deaths of all of his family it might be a self punishment of sorts. Still doesn't help his remaining family at all .

Because for the Northern people, there is honour in the NW. Jeor was a Lord and joined them to leave his son being Lord instead.

Yes. And I also think part of the Stark/Winter magic requires a Stark on the Wall. Who knows? Maybe it's the Stark blood that's keeping the Wall standing (figuratively).

Yes. And I also think part of the Stark/Winter magic requires a Stark on the Wall. Who knows? Maybe it's the Stark blood that's keeping the Wall standing (figuratively).

That's largely how we see it on heresy - and why there are no other Starks.

I always thought it was a bit more practical. Like his brother was heir to Winterfell with a kid on the way. Also, hasn't there always been a Stark on The Wall?

We can't say that definitively.We can say there has always been a Stark in Winterfell until recently,which seems to be a secondary line of defense in itself.They do certainly appear to have been called upon by the NW in times of strife.

I don´t know but I´m sure there is a lot of Stark family history (and not recent history regarding Rhaegar and Lyanna) that could explain this.

There is something we don´t know, and I´m sure we´re going to find out more about Benjen in the next two books. The mystery of his disappearance is bound to come up at some point.

Because he was a dumbass. That's my theory. ;)

YES!!!!

I like the theory that their has to be on Stark on the Wall, but is their any evidence supporting this from the book? I feel like we would have heard about the Stark that served right before Benjen at some point or we did and i missed it like i have so many other things.

Why does anyone join the kingsguard? Its the same reason. There is honor in it. For the North joining the Wall is a honorable thing. And with Benjen, he really did not have as much thing as Eddard who has Winterfell and already a kid. So the next thing is to join the night's watch. And he was interested in it as the recruit from the night's watch manage to convince him. And after the rebellion, with Eddard alread in winterfell and with kids, it like okay instead of just staying there join the night's watch which he already wanted too.

Archived