Moments of Foreshadowing 10

Lost Melnibonean

We heard she [Sansa] killed the king with a spell, and afterward changed into a wolf with big leather wings like a bat, and flew out a tower window.

My old ma used to say that giant bats flew out from Harrenhal on moonless nights, to carry bad children to Mad Danelle for her cookpots.

Mad Danelle Lothston herself rode forth in strength from her haunted towers at Harrenhal, clad in black armor that fit her like an iron glove, her long red hair streaming. 

Danelle was a red-haired lady who ruled Harrenhal in her own right. The bat reference for Sansa leads me to think she may rule the lands of Harrenhal in her own right as Danelle did. 

Chocs pointed this quote out to me earlier and I haven't been able to shake it.  Possible foreshadowing that Arya will leave Braavos to avenge Jon Snow? Given R+L=J and Rhaegar and Lyanna were secretly married, Jon is a Targaryen prince. And Arya and Jon were close, so he can be considered her prince. The NW has a big presence in the chapter as well.

Or it could refer to a princess (by marriage) in a tower who lost the will to live after her prince, Rhaegar, died. 

Dany will be the one who destroys Oldtown, not Obara. I think Darkstar will slay Obara.

Or maybe Dany does burn Oldtown with Obara being among the defenders. It would be ironic in that Obara gets what she wished for. 

Well consider that Bran learns that all warted animals have a shadow on the soul, that of the person who was the warg and then merged with animal consciousness. So, the merged spirit does not fade completely. But Jon's situation will be unique, except for that of Coldhands perhaps, in that his human and animal spirit will begin to merge, and then the combined spirit will inhabit the resurrected body. Jon's personality will be more like a wolf. 

That's what I think too.  He will return as Jon the Feral.

The parallel between Sansa and Sandor, in that they both take on new identities to the extent they become that person. (Assuming the Gravedigger theory)

The brother on the quiet isle says "The Hound is dead" (or similar words) and Sansa gets into her new role so much that she starts thinking of herself as 'Alayne', effectively considering Sansa Stark dead.

• 2 months later...

Rickon had slashed at them with a rusted iron sword he’d snatched from a dead king’s hand, and Shaggydog had come slavering out of the darkness like a green-eyed demon

Maybe something that will happen in the future ? 

=====

Rickon had refused to come down. He was up in his chamber, redeyed and defiant. “No!” he’d screamed when Bran had asked if he didn’t want to say farewell to Robb. “NO farewell!”
“I told him,” Bran said. “He says no one ever comes back.”

======

“Yes he is. I saw him.” Tears glistened on Rickon’s face. “I saw him last night.”
“In your dream... ?’
Rickon nodded. “You leave him. You leave him be. He’s coming home now, like he promised. He’s coming home.”

• 2 weeks later...

The Tourmaline Brotherhood gave Daenerys her crown, and is said by Xaro Xhoan Daxos to be full of pirates. In other words, Daenerys Targaryen was given her crown by pirates. Potential foreshadowing for her allying with the Ironborn after all?

I see what you're saying, but I don't think of the Ironmen as simple pirates... aurane Waters and Salladhor Saan on the other hand...

As they set off, he turned to give his father one last look, and it seemed to Bran that there was a sadness in Lord Eddard's eyes, as if he did not want them to go. . . .

Their faces were stern and strong, and some of them had done terrible things, but they were Starks every one, and Bran knew all their tales. He had never feared the crypts; they were part of his home and who he was, and he had always known that one day he would lie here too.

But now he was not so certain. If I go up, will I ever come back down? Where will I go when I die?

Bran VIII, Clash 69

Bran is never going home. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Tourmaline Brotherhood gave Daenerys her crown, and is said by Xaro Xhoan Daxos to be full of pirates. In other words, Daenerys Targaryen was given her crown by pirates. Potential foreshadowing for her allying with the Ironborn after all?

I see what you're saying, but I don't think of the Ironmen as simple pirates... aurane Waters and Salladhor Saan on the other hand...

The Tourmaline Brotherhood wanted Daenerys expelled from Qarth after the destruction of the House of the Undying, so (if indeed foreshadowing) I would gather that Aurane Waters and Sallador Saan (and/or pirates in general) would side against her.

• 1 month later...

An oldie but goodie...

Ser Jorah saved me from the poisoner, and Arstan Whitebeard from the manticore. Perhaps Strong Belwas will save me from the next.

Daenerys I, Storm 8

Foreshadows Belwas eating the locusts and inadvertently saving Daenerys from the third assassination attempt. 

ETA

She took a chunk of salt pork out of the bowl in her lap and held it up for her dragons to see. All three of them eyed it hungrily. Rhaegal spread green wings and stirred the air, and Viserion’s neck swayed back and forth like a long pale snake’s as he followed the movement of her hand. “Drogon,” Dany said softly, “dracarys.” And she tossed the pork in the air.

Drogon moved quicker than a striking cobra. Flame roared from his mouth, orange and scarlet and black, searing the meat before it began to fall. As his sharp black teeth snapped shut around it, Rhaegal’s head darted close, as if to steal the prize from his brother’s jaws, but Drogon swallowed and screamed, and the smaller green dragon could only hiss in frustration.

“Stop that, Rhaegal,” Dany said in annoyance, giving his head a swat. “You had the last one. I’ll have no greedy dragons.”

Daenerys I, Storm 8

Foreshadows  the Second Dance of the Dragons, in which Aegon will ride the green dragon against Daenerys on the black one, and where Tyrion, who will ride or influence the rider of the white dragon, will sway back and forth. Daenerys will win of course. 

From the Tale of the Three Thousand of Qohor...

"The Bright Banners and Second Sons had fled, as sellswords are wont to do in the face of hopeless odds."

Daenerys I, Storm 8

Foreshadows Brown Ben bringing the Second Sons over to Daenerys and back to Yunkai in Dance, and ...

back to Daenerys in Winds.

Just in case anybody else still follows these threads... Could this be a foreshadowing of Roose's rebellion in the North? I figure he might be the old grey pack leader, and the alpha female might be Barbreyes Dustin...

The deer was down and dying when he reached her, ringed by eight of his small grey cousins. The heads of the pack had begun to feed, the male first and then his female, taking turns tearing flesh from the red underbelly of their prey. The others waited patiently, all but the tail, who paced in a wary circle a few strides from the rest, his own tail tucked low. He would eat the last of all, whatever his brothers left him.

The prince was downwind, so they did not sense him until he leapt up upon a fallen log six strides from where they fed. The tail saw him first, gave a piteous whine, and slunk away. His pack brothers turned at the sound and bared their teeth, snarling, all but the head male and female.

The direwolf answered the snarls with a low warning growl and showed them his own teeth. He was bigger than his cousins, twice the size of the scrawny tail, half again as large as the two pack heads. He leapt down into their midst, and three of them broke, melting away into the brush. Another came at him, teeth snapping. He met the attack head on, caught the wolf’s leg in his jaws when they met, and flung him aside yelping and limping.

And then there was only the head wolf to face, the great grey male with his bloody muzzle fresh from the prey’s soft belly. There was white on his muzzle as well, to mark him as an old wolf, but when his mouth opened, red slaver ran from his teeth.

He has no fear, the prince thought, no more than me. It would be a good fight. They went for each other.

Long they fought, rolling together over roots and stones and fallen leaves and the scattered entrails of the prey, tearing at each other with tooth and claw, breaking apart, circling each round the other, and bolting in to fight again. The prince was larger, and much the stronger, but his cousin had a pack. The female prowled around them closely, snuffing and snarling, and would interpose herself whenever her mate broke off bloodied. From time to time the other wolves would dart in as well, to snap at a leg or an ear when the prince was turned the other way. One angered him so much that he whirled in a black fury and tore out the attacker’s throat. After that the others kept their distance.

And as the last red light was filtering through green boughs and golden, the old wolf lay down weary in the dirt, and rolled over to expose his throat and belly. It was submission.

The prince sniffed at him and licked the blood from fur and torn flesh. When the old wolf gave a soft whimper, the direwolf turned away. He was very hungry now, and the prey was his.

Bran I, Storm 9

16 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Just in case anybody else still follows these threads... Could this be a foreshadowing of Roose's rebellion in the North? I figure he might be the old grey pack leader, and the alpha female might be Barbreyes Dustin...

Bran I, Storm 9

Could be - but there's not much specific to tie them together.

But what I DO NOW is that it is another occurrence of a group of 8 which is disrupted by a ninth, with the ninth killing one of the eight. 

That's the eight wanderers we used to have when we had two moons, the ninth wanderer is the comet, which kills one of the eight - the second moon - and then goes on his way. Thanks dry much for posting, I'm always looking for this pattern. 

Have you listened to any of my podcasts by the way, or read my new essays (which match the podcasts?) I miss you man. Been a while. 

1 hour ago, LmL said:

Could be - but there's not much specific to tie them together.

But what I DO NOW is that it is another occurrence of a group of 8 which is disrupted by a ninth, with the ninth killing one of the eight. 

That's the eight wanderers we used to have when we had two moons, the ninth wanderer is the comet, which kills one of the eight - the second moon - and then goes on his way. Thanks dry much for posting, I'm always looking for this pattern. 

Have you listened to any of my podcasts by the way, or read my new essays (which match the podcasts?) I miss you man. Been a while. 

Glad to be of service :)

16 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Bran I, Storm 9

The prince was downwind, so they did not sense him until he leapt up upon a fallen log six strides from where they fed. The tail saw him first, gave a piteous whine, and slunk away. His pack brothers turned at the sound and bared their teeth, snarling, all but the head male and female.

The "tail" reminds me of Sansa in this scene:

Robb took them all the way down to the end, past Grandfather and Brandon and Lyanna, to show them their own tombs. Sansa kept looking at the stubby little candle, anxious that it might go out. Old Nan had told her there were spiders down here, and rats as big as dogs. Robb smiled when she said that. "There are worse things than spiders and rats," he whispered. "This is where the dead walk." That was when they heard the sound, low and deep and shivery. Baby Bran had clutched at Arya's hand.

When the spirit stepped out of the open tomb, pale white and moaning for blood, Sansa ran shrieking for the stairs, and Bran wrapped himself around Robb's leg, sobbing. Arya stood her ground and gave the spirit a punch. It was only Jon, covered with flour. "You stupid," she told him, "you scared the baby," but Jon and Robb just laughed and laughed, and pretty soon Bran and Arya were laughing too.

(Note also that Sansa and the "tail" run from the prince.)  The direwolves reflect the Stark they've bonded with.  Ned describes Lady as "the smallest of the litter, the prettiest, the most gentle and trusting."  Lady was the runt and the most submissive of the pack; Lady and Sansa are the Omegas of their pack.

As for the number of eight, perhaps it symbolizes the eight Starks?  Ned, Catelyn, their children, and Jon?  Just the number eight means nothing in and of itself, but they were eating a deer.  Deer is connected to the Stark direwolves via the deer antler found in the dead Mama Direwolf's throat.  The deer antler in Games foreshadows the tragedy that will soon befall the Starks.  In the scene you mention, they are eating the deer.  Perhaps eating could be interpreted as getting revenge or justice.  And if so, it seems Sansa will get her comeuppance eventually, just "last."  "The last laugh" as it were.

1 hour ago, Isobel Harper said:

The "tail" reminds me of Sansa in this scene:

Robb took them all the way down to the end, past Grandfather and Brandon and Lyanna, to show them their own tombs. Sansa kept looking at the stubby little candle, anxious that it might go out. Old Nan had told her there were spiders down here, and rats as big as dogs. Robb smiled when she said that. "There are worse things than spiders and rats," he whispered. "This is where the dead walk." That was when they heard the sound, low and deep and shivery. Baby Bran had clutched at Arya's hand.

When the spirit stepped out of the open tomb, pale white and moaning for blood, Sansa ran shrieking for the stairs, and Bran wrapped himself around Robb's leg, sobbing. Arya stood her ground and gave the spirit a punch. It was only Jon, covered with flour. "You stupid," she told him, "you scared the baby," but Jon and Robb just laughed and laughed, and pretty soon Bran and Arya were laughing too.

(Note also that Sansa and the "tail" run from the prince.)  The direwolves reflect the Stark they've bonded with.  Ned describes Lady as "the smallest of the litter, the prettiest, the most gentle and trusting."  Lady was the runt and the most submissive of the pack; Lady and Sansa are the Omegas of their pack.

As for the number of eight, perhaps it symbolizes the eight Starks?  Ned, Catelyn, their children, and Jon?  Just the number eight means nothing in and of itself, but they were eating a deer.  Deer is connected to the Stark direwolves via the deer antler found in the dead Mama Direwolf's throat.  The deer antler in Games foreshadows the tragedy that will soon befall the Starks.  In the scene you mention, they are eating the deer.  Perhaps eating could be interpreted as getting revenge or justice.  And if so, it seems Sansa will get her comeuppance eventually, just "last."  "The last laugh" as it were.

Maybe the deer is Stannis? 

Archived