‘The Last Kingdom’ - based on Bernard Cornwell’s The Saxon series

AncalagonTheBlack

1 minute ago, Zorral said:

The Last Kingdom's first season is streaming from netflix as of Sunday.  Up to the swamp period so far.

It's enormously enjoyable in every way.  Yah, England is small, it's an island, but the large variety of locations provide a sense of expanse and openess. This is quite in contrast with the almost claustrophobic sensibility of some others of the current action adventure historical or fantasy series.  Most of all, however, it doesn't (quite) feel rushed in the story and plot. The first episode's battle in which his child Uthred's father is killed, ground down between two shield wall lines, was as spectacular as you all who have already watched this series said it was.

I quite like the actor portraying Uhtred, which is pretty much true about all the actors filling their roles. True that that Alex Dreymon isn't Travis Fimmel, who is unique in his Ragnar. But Alexander Dreymon is his own man, and he is making Uhtred his own convincing man, who must learn self-control in order to survive and fill his quest, to regain Bebbanburg, which is lost early in the first episode.   

However!  the actor playing Alfred not only has made the king a full human being, but kingly, someone we have to respect. David Dawson has made Wessex his, and the Last Kingdom his too. The scenes in which Dawson and Dreymon must play against each other, followed with other scenes in which they are in concord, are pure viewing pleasure.

The women are all good, particularly Eliza Butterworth, who plays Alfred's wife, Aelswith.  She's not sympathetic surely to most members of a contemporary audience, but it seems she wasn't sympathetic to many of those who knew her in her own day.  But she doesn't play as a fool either.  She's a narrow-minded religious woman who knows her place in the world and will not deviate an inch from it, other than in temper -- breaking the social and religious dictate that women are never to be angry, never to raise their voice and never attempt to tell a man what to do.  I believe we know people like this even now . . . .  She is sincerely, not hypocritically, an early medieval world Christian, beset on all sides by pagans, who are Satan's minions.

This aspect of the series I also find entertaining, as in the books: seeing the various characters, all of whom are very sharp-minded, spar with each other over religion.  it's another dimension of the series that portrays all these people within their time (some of the costuming, maybe, well, not so much though?), all of them very smart, the cream of their society, and fully alive-O within it.

All you all who saw it on its initial broadcast run loved this series, and I can see why.  All of you too have read all the books in the Cornwell series.  But we seem to think that television has made those books purely television, all in the right way?

Yeah the only part that annoyed me about the final battle was that Uthred was still wearing the same piece of crap "Dane" shirt he did the whole season, when Alfred had, at one point, gifted him a fine coat of mail and helm.

But regarding Alexander Dreymon, I have to wonder how will this show handle the passage of time, and in particular the changes in Uthred. Vikings made some okay attempts with this, though most characters there still look just as young. I think the actor playing Alfred could easily be made to look older due to his complexion, but Dreymon has such a youthful face, that I have a hard time picturing him as a grizzled Uthred.

I'm a late to the party Netflix watcher too.

I'm two episodes in and WOW this might be my new favorite show. I'm not familiar with the books but I might just do that while waiting for season 2.

17 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Most of all, however, it doesn't (quite) feel rushed in the story and plot. 

Agreed, the story within the first episode is something that could typical take a show an entire season or more to tell, yet somehow still doesn't feel rushed or crammed in.

I just hope it's not too Game of Thrones in that....

Spoiler

Two badass characters die in the 1st episode. Ragnar and Rutger freakin Hauer. They were so good.

Brida is another badass I'm really enjoying. I hope she doesn't get sent Valhalla soon.

13 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

I'm a late to the party Netflix watcher too.

I'm two episodes in and WOW this might be my new favorite show. I'm not familiar with the books but I might just do that while waiting for season 2.

Agreed, the story within the first episode is something that could typical take a show an entire season or more to tell, yet somehow still doesn't feel rushed or crammed in.

I just hope it's not too Game of Thrones in that....

Reveal hidden contents

Two badass characters die in the 1st episode. Ragnar and Rutger freakin Hauer. They were so good.

Brida is another badass I'm really enjoying. I hope she doesn't get sent Valhalla soon.

Book spoiler here regarding your own spoiler

Season 1 covers the first 2 books, so the pace in a way is quick, even though it doesn't feel that way. The hall burning scene happens roughly midway through the first book, so it's quite gut wrenching, almost Red Wedding style.

I was quite glad they moved so quickly during the Uhtred's childhood. Thus we can begin experiencing what becomes his life-long conflicts of loyalties, conscience, honor and inclination.  It was splendid how quickly, seamlessly what will become a struggle too for Uhtred

Spoiler

to become literate is signaled, via the Dane war lord, Guthrum's recognition of literacy's importance.

This wasn't a filler scene in the least.  There were no pointless scenes that don't lead us somewhere, unlike, alas, what has happened with too many of our previously well-regarded series.

I'm wondering if this is partly because of how efficiently the author of the source material (the books) presents all the content in each book of his series? He's already had deep experience of one of his very long book series becoming a long-running, continuing BBC series. This would also mean the showrunners don't need to concern themselves with endings or what will happen.

With Cornwell's Sharpe, though, unlike the Saxon Chronicles, each book was a formula rather than part of a long arc, though that eventually happened, I guess?  Never read the books, never watched the series either.  I tried to watch a couple of those Sean Bean Sharpes but that it was a formula, and that the formula didn't work for me, meant I never finished.

Of course there is a formula in the Saxon Chronicles that much resembles the Sharpes, but the betrayals, unlike Sharpe, who is always getting busted back down in rank, don't mean that Uhtred remains the same in status or understanding or development as time goes on.  And history goes on, and it all is always exciting from the place in which he is experiencing it and the figures who are making it.

As far as aging the actor though -- iir the location correctly, there was a scene outdoors in the firelight, with Uhtred and one of the women -- Brida? -- in which his face is leaning over hers, and by the firelight and other lighting, he looked decades older.  So that might not be as much a problem as it might be.  They're already subtly aging him, with very small but regular changes with facial hair.  Suddenly from bare face, there's a patch on his bottom chin.  A couple of episodes later, there's a mustache.  It's very subtle.

Which, since they are doing this well, makes it seem all the more odd that the Uhtred's and Brida's clothes are so often so contemporary -- it's the structure of the jackets and the sleeves that particularly stands out here.  The costumers' choices here look all too contemporary -- most non-early medieval.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Yeah the only part that annoyed me about the final battle was that Uthred was still wearing the same piece of crap "Dane" shirt he did the whole season, when Alfred had, at one point, gifted him a fine coat of mail and helm.

Yeah that annoyed me a fair bit (same with Vikings and all their leather kit in that) especially when having a mail shirt is quite a big point in the series, showing off wealth and power. Uhtred keeps making a big deal out of how badass and kewl he looks in his mail and fancy helmet.

Nice write up Zorral. IMO the swamp episode was the only very slight misstep that didn't quite live up to the novels. They could have benefitted from an extra episode or half an episode spent there

27 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Nice write up Zorral. IMO the swamp episode was the only very slight misstep that didn't quite live up to the novels. They could have benefitted from an extra episode or half an episode spent there

O, thank you!  It's been so much fun watching this series when I had so much fun reading the first 2 - 3 books of Cornwell's books as they were published, so that probably comes through.  The book series has declined at certain points, but it's always come back to form, the last two included.

I am sorely tempted to blow off this afternoon and finish watching the series.  Alas, I better not, if I know what is good for me! :)

32 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I thought in the contrary that the passage in the swamp was a logical change. They couldn't do twice the ships burning at Cynuit, since they already did it one or two episodes before with Ubba's ships.

Cornwell himself explains that he added that fight artificially because he decided to move Ubba to book 1 a year in advance. In the books, it's not much of a problem, since they're two different books. But in the show, replaying the same thing in the next episode would be absurd.

2 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I thought in the contrary that the passage in the swamp was a logical change. They couldn't do twice the ships burning at Cynuit, since they already did it one or two episodes before with Ubba's ships.

Cornwell himself explains that he added that fight artificially because he decided to move Ubba to book 1 a year in advance. In the books, it's not much of a problem, since they're two different books. But in the show, replaying the same thing in the next episode would be absurd.

Yes, and considering all the books, we should get one good ship burning every season. :D

I'd like to add how impressive Matthew Macfadyn was as Uhtred's father.  The actor to played Uhtred the child was also very good.

I look forward to the swamp!  But I must, must, MUST go to work, though I am still sick.  But not that sick . . . . :D

O my stars! I'd thought the episodes I'd already seen were terrific, but the swamp through final were superb.

Once again the way David Dawson plays King  Alfred is so very plausible, believable -- and a joy.  Without someone as convincing in this lynchpin role The Last Kingdom wouldn't work on all sorts of levels.  But particularly it wouldn't work because there wouldn't be a plausible foil for Uhtred, thus Uhtred would lose stature and plausibility.

Interesting for me personally is that Dawson's played roles in all sorts of my favorite series starting (for me in terms of the series I watch/ed) with The Mystery of Edwin Drood and The Hollow Crown in 2012.  He's been in Ripper Street, Dancing on the Edge -- even The Borgias and Peaky Blinders.  The Last Kingdom must be his breakout role.

The referencing of burning the bannocks during the swamp sojourn was just right -- not too brief, but not making much of it, and perfectly plausible, while also telling us a great deal of how these royals had to live within a much more egalitarian society than in their court and courtly entourages.  Everyone had to pitch in, though naturally not everyone was equally capable in performing all the duties.

Then, in contrast, Alfred's determination for the final Big Battle, to make or break his further survival and that of Wessex.  The tiny flickers of expression of pleasure, amusement and interest around his mouth and in his eyes listening to the men exchanging their manly scatological banter, in which even the priest Boecca participates, as they ride to battle.  Other moments when he notes the men and women scoring against each other and even himself -- one sees that all this religious talk wasn't just pious -- it was a terrific matter of recreation in world in which amusements had to be made individually and socially, no movies or tv etc.  This runs throughout the season on all sides, whether pagan or christian, everyone is discussing and arguing about religion and magic.  For once Alfred, frail of body, feels himself a part of this fundamental experience of his world, of men riding to battle.  And in the battle himself, he burns with joy.

Spoiler

Wasn't his speech to inspire good?  It makes that other much vaunted thing look like just what it was -- totally silly.  As well, when Uhtred goes berserker with the death of Iseult, his face, it's the well-seasoned, elder face of the cruel and cynical and very clever and experienced Uhtred.  So again, we can see him aged up.

We had to have an actor who can do all this because in the books Uhtred tells the reader all this, but on screen this isn't possible.  Or if it is possible, it would have been a bad move. The viewers couldn't possibly be as wide-eyed involved if Uhtred is doing all this in voice over as the ride and they fight. It makes absolutely clear that there cannot be great men -- Uhtred -- without a Great Leader who knows what to do with Great Men, or even Great Men in the Making -- Alfred.  

And that battle was great!  Which brought to mind, with all those overhead shots of it how much money in the budget has gone for helicopter or small plane shots, whether battles or as in the very last scene of the final episode, the three riding north.  So BBC didn't stint on the budget.  But to keep this up, particularly after Brexit, BBC needed a cash infusion from elsewhere, which turns out to be netflix.

That I'm spending so much time with Alfred should not take away anything from all the other characters.  But I'm still quite breathless at how sure-footed in almost all parts this season was (not costuming for some, and perhaps some other places -- that battle to death between Leofric and Uhtred interrupted by invasion was almost too deus ex machina, but this is a world in which God's decisions are totally believed -- and of course, there is God the Novelist's compositional choice).

But among other elements that were happy viewing

Spoiler

at least cannot leave out Queen Iseult and Uhtred's love making under the trees and sky.  No ripping of the clothes, no throwing things around and on the table, no screaming and shouting, yet passion melting withenormous tenderness and love and healing. It almost brought tears.  There is a purpose to this sexual love scene. Later on, we see  them sitting together, entwined in each others arms, while discussing matters with "the boys in the swamp" while she makes a good luck charm of his and her hair, o that was just lovely.  It also is what we remember when Uhtred goes berserk.

Let's see, there's also our Fool, the king that should be, Aethelwold. He's a great character. They all are!  I can't wait for the next season.  But, who knows?  I liked the first novels best.

13 hours ago, Zorral said:

Reveal hidden contents

Wasn't his speech to inspire good?  It makes that other much vaunted thing look like just what it was -- totally silly.  As well, when Uhtred goes berserker with the death of Iseult, his face, it's the well-seasoned, elder face of the cruel and cynical and very clever and experienced Uhtred.  So again, we can see him aged up.

Let's see, there's also our Fool, the king that should be, Aethelwold. He's a great character. They all are!  I can't wait for the next season.  But, who knows?  I liked the first novels best.

Anyone that's read the books, does his 'tit loving' penance scene happen in the books? 

It almost felt like an homage to Tyrion Lannisters' Eyrie confession.

His whole character seems so very Tyrion to me.

1 hour ago, DunderMifflin said:

Anyone that's read the books, does his 'tit loving' penance scene happen in the books? 

Yes

‘Then God and the king forgive you,’ he said, and waited.

‘Just do it,’ he snarled. So I did it. I went down on my knees and I shuffled through the mud, and the silent lines of men watched me, and then Æthelwold, close beside me, began to wail that he was a sinner. He threw his arms in the air, fell flat on his face, howled that he was penitent, shrieked that he was a sinner, and at first men were embarrassed and then they were amused.

‘I’ve known women!’ Æthelwold shouted at the rain, ‘and they were bad women! Forgive me!’ Alfred was furious, but he could not stop a man making a fool of himself before God. Perhaps he thought Æthelwold’s remorse was genuine? ‘I’ve lost count of the women!’ Æthelwold shouted, then beat his fists in the mud. ‘Oh God, I love tits! God, I love naked women, God, forgive me for that!’

The laughter spread, and every man must have remembered that Alfred, before piety caught him in its clammy grip, had been notorious for the women he had pursued. ‘You must help me, God!’ Æthelwold cried as we shuffled a few feet farther. ‘Send me an angel!’

‘So you can hump her?’ a voice called from the crowd and the laughter became a roar.

Other moments when he notes the men and women scoring against each other and even himself -- one sees that all this religious talk wasn't just pious -- it was a terrific matter of recreation in world in which amusements had to be made individually and socially, no movies or tv etc.  This runs throughout the season on all sides, whether pagan or christian, everyone is discussing and arguing about religion and magic.  For once Alfred, frail of body, feels himself a part of this fundamental experience of his world, of men riding to battle. 

Yeah, I loved this aspect of the show. Probably my favorite scene was the walk of penance.

4 hours ago, DunderMifflin said:

Im only on ep 5 but he doesn't seem all that stupid so far on the show. He seems a bit on the clever side, just a bad case of alchoholism.

Much like Tyrion, treated as a fool due to an affliction.

Might count as spoilers for later seasons if they follow the books

Spoiler

Æthelwold is pretty stupid - he does have occasional moments of intelligence but he is just mostly a drunken, whoring idiot. With his biggest idiocy being his repeated belief that anyone other than self serving Danes give a damn about his claim.

8 hours ago, DunderMifflin said:

Well, as the first two novels in the series on which the television series and the characters are based were published in 2004 and 2005, that is unlikely, as the got television series hadn't even begun.  In any case this reader / viewer doesn't see them as having any close resemblance.

But Got, either as novel or television, is far from being the drivers of comparison or interpretation of anything. :) 

My drivers would be the actions, rhetoric and idiocies of the antebellum slaveocracy fireeaters in the run-up to:rolleyes:  the War of Rebellion. 

51 minutes ago, Talleyrand said:

Might count as spoilers for later seasons if they follow the books

Hide contents

Æthelwold is pretty stupid - he does have occasional moments of intelligence but he is just mostly a drunken, whoring idiot. With his biggest idiocy being his repeated belief that anyone other than self serving Danes give a damn about his claim.

Spoiler

He's fairly cowardly too.  And he will backstab -- except as we see, he doesn't quite have the stomach for it.

The only thing that didn't quite make sense to me regarding Aethelwold's status is that the show portrayed as an adult immediately from the start. So his failure to become king was solely on him being a drunkard, while in the book he is a child when Alfred takes the throne, which makes more sense why Alfred is able to get the witan to name him king. And Aethewold becomes a drunkard as a result of this.

Archived