‘The Last Kingdom’ - based on Bernard Cornwell’s The Saxon series

AncalagonTheBlack

Cornwell literally just released a new novel didnt he?

Jups, that was Warriors of the Storm, already read that one ;) This is my first Cornwell series, so I don't really know how quick he is. I read somewhere that he wrote about one book a year, which I hope is true :P but you may never know, perhaps he shared some news that its coming out faster? :P Right now, I would take the next chapter in Uthred's adventure over tWoW. 

Heck, even the weak book three would probably be good sourcematerial, they'll have to retool it of course, but they'll find a way. Although, they really need to introduce a Haesten and Steapa/Pyrlig character asap in the next season. I also hope the TV-series spends more time on Uthred's women than the books did.

Agreed, and I think they probably will - nothing says those characters have to be introduced at the same time as in the books; they've also just cleared up a lot space for new characters.

Oh, and you should have started with the Warlord Chronicles; at least tell us that's your next read (and make a thread on it as you in the Lit forum - looks like there's a few going to start that series)

Oh, and you should have started with the Warlord Chronicles; at least tell us that's your next read (and make a thread on it as you in the Lit forum - looks like there's a few going to start that series)

You must be a magician :o I ordered the first two books like five minutes ago. Sadly, between the time it takes to deliver them on my doorsteps and the amount of work I have to do in the coming week, I doubt I'll be able to plunge into them straight away. I am really curious though, I'm going to start by reading a sample online if I can find one :) Everyone, including Cornwell seems to agree that the Warlord Chronicles are his best work, so I'm intrigued :) 

Agreed, and I think they probably will - nothing says those characters have to be introduced at the same time as in the books; 

That's true. I hope we get news of a renewal soon :) 

I'm currently halfway through the second book of the Warlord Chornicles. The style is very similar to the Saxon Chronicles, but overall the story is more interesting, mainly because of the characters, and it promises more drama. When it comes to the battles, the two series are pretty much the same; Cromwell loves his shield-wall battles.

Another main difference is that while the Saxon Chronicles is the story of Uthred, and he is protagonist/narrator, the Warlord Chornicles is not the story of Derfel who is the protagonist/narrator. To be honest, they could adapt the Warlord Chronicles without Derfel, but, imo, that would cut out some of the soul of the story, as I find Derfel to be a great narrator, better than Uthred.

Edit: I've only read the first three of the Saxon Chronicles, so my claims about Uthred could be wrong.

Edit: I've only read the first three of the Saxon Chronicles, so my claims about Uthred could be wrong.

Man, you really stopped at the lowpoint of the Saxon stories :) definitely keep on reading :) 

I'm currently halfway through the second book of the Warlord Chornicles. The style is very similar to the Saxon Chronicles, but overall the story is more interesting, mainly because of the characters, and it promises more drama. When it comes to the battles, the two series are pretty much the same; Cromwell loves his shield-wall battles.

I can't wait to find out. Always loved stories about King Arthur. 

Man, you really stopped at the lowpoint of the Saxon stories :) definitely keep on reading :) 

I will.

I stopped because I considered I had covered enough material ahead of season 1, and I had a plan about what to read in the final months of this year, a plan which kinda fell apart last month. And considering my current reading pace, I doubt I'll read anything else this years besides Warlord, so I'll resume the Saxon stories next year. :)

I've just started The Winter King and it's a lot better than the Saxon Chronicles that I've read so far (like Corvinus I've read the first three because I tend to buy them when they are on sale). Completely hooked into this already, and luckily I caught the series when it was one sale recently so have all three downloaded. And as I'm reading it, I can't help but think how great it could be as a tv series, so cautiously optimistic about the possibility.

Yeah, have to second this. I've read all nine, and loved them all. And Uhtred definitely becomes more interesting the older he gets.

I'm still catching up on this show but episode 5 was excellent and raised the show from very good to potentially being a a great historical drama. The main reason was that everyone was behaving true to their characters and the chaos that came out of it. That and some kick-ass fight scenes.

Uhtred deserved to be angry but his way of showing it was incredibly stupid. In fact it was stupid of him not to go and claim the glory - he was told to do so. But it highlights how he is currently more Dane than Saxon which is why he can run rings round the Danes but is almost incompetent in court diplomacy. The thing is it was great to see him get angry (he should be) and still refuse to show who's boss. The cool thing about that was how we then got nice moments from two other characters. Alfred showed his cunning in the sense he knows Uhtred is useful but he cannot allow himself to look weak. I was even more impressed by Uhtred's nephew who I'd written off as comedy wastrel until he made that cunning move of sparing Uhtred from shame. That was really well handled as it surprised me and showed he's quite crafty too and that it'll be something Uhtred won't forget. The scene was capped off nicely with "shove your god up your arse". Brilliant.

I look forward to upcoming episodes moreso now that I know the characters are a bit more fallible. I've no idea where the books go but it now seems like Uhtred and Alfred can't possibly both continue as they are unless Uhtred learns a hell of a lot of humility.

I heard last night on the bbc that they had renewed it for a second series, which is obviously the one thing we were waiting for.

Superb. Hope it comes out in October next year.

I find it quite funny that they felt the need to drop that line in there when the headliner of the article is that horrible Call the Midwife.

Indeed, though it is does seem more likely that this is a show that has a predominantly ( but certainly not exclusively) male audience, just like there are dozens and dozens of shows ( such as Call the Midwife) watched more by female viewers.

Among the people I know who read The Saxon Chronicles, and watch The Last Kingdom the overwhelming number of them are female. One of them reported today that she hooked her husband into watching The Last Kingdom with her, after giving him a history (not a novel!)  of the era of Alfred the Great to read.

In general, females read far more historical fiction than men do, just as women tend to read and buy more books than men do.

So, how do we know that more males than females watch The Last Kingdom?  Any more than more men than women read The Saxon Chronicles?  Have there been polls?  Or is this one of those cases to which a sign in my old dentist's office may apply: "Don't believe everything you know"? :)

In the meantime there's a discovery of an 870's viking hoard in Oxfordshire, with many coins still in good condition with Alfred's head on them.  Story, here, in the UK Guardian.

P.S. What's your reason for calling Call the Midwife horrible, beyond it not being your cuppa?

Loved it. Every episode just got better and better. Glad to hear there's going to be a second season. Hopefully now they know it's been quite critically acclaimed and enjoyed they won't rush through season 2 as much as they did season 1. That's my only fault for the show, how much it rushed through the story and the characters and their arcs at a 100 miles her minute.

Archived