NHL 2015-16 - Because we still don't need a new thread!

Jabronius Maximus

*grinds teeth*

Ugh, it's like people don't even realize this is a team sport. Keith, Kane and maybe even Seabrook are at least as important to the Hawks as Toews is.

And Keith better get the damn Conn Smythe.

Edit:

Nice try, JB24.

I'm not even sure he's the best player on his team tbh. I'd probably take Kane over Toews.

Yeah, he robbed Kane of the Conn Smythe that one year. Cant remember which of the two prior championships it was.

This is definitely Keith's year to win. It'll be upsetting if he doesn't get it.

The off-season is here! I'm really looking forward to the draft this year. Aside from Mcdavid (aka McJesus), rumors have it that this draft will see the most wheeling and dealing in quite some time. The big ones seem to be Kessel and Sharp potentially being moved come draft day, with a pile of smaller deals that could happen as well.

On top of all that, this is supposedly the deepest draft in years, so there should be a solid influx of talent into the league (as if it needs more).

Relevant awards handed out tonight:

Price (first 4/4 sweep ever) - Vezina, Ted Lindsay, Hart, Jennings

Norris - Erik Karlsson

Calder - Aaron Ekblad (thank god)

Selke - P Bergeron

Jack Adams - Bob Hartley (with Randy Carlyle getting a vote!)

Wow, congrats on the sweep to Carey Price. It's been 13 years since a goalie even won the Hart. And this is only the 3rd time in the past 50 years (Hasek 97, Theodore 02). Anytime a goalie can boast he did something neither Patrick Roy or Martin Brodeur ever did it's pretty impressive.

Wow, congrats on the sweep to Carey Price. It's been 13 years since a goalie even won the Hart. And this is only the 3rd time in the past 50 years (Hasek 97, Theodore 02). Anytime a goalie can boast he did something neither Patrick Roy or Martin Brodeur ever did it's pretty impressive.

Definitely. He's been absolutely dominant.

And the Flames have apparently landed Dougie Hamilton, which killed the Oilers buzz. How dare they, on McDavid Day of all days! (No idea of what the return is for Hamilton though). In all seriousness, the Flames blue line is absolutely filthy right now.

Edit: well, Burke fleeced Boston. The #15, 45th and 52nd picks head the other way. Granted, that's slightly more than what Boston would have received if Hamilton was signed to an offer sheet. But still, damn.

Really love that we managed to steal Barzal while getting rid Reinhart. Hopefully Reinhart makes some progress for the Oilers, but I didn't like what I saw of him in Bridgeport or in the Isles, and I never liked that pick at #5 when several other better dmen were still available in 2012.

Boston today was just embarrassing. 2 second rounders in three of their picks.

Yeah I wanted the Oil to keep #16 seeing that Barzal was still on the board, and I wasn't a fan of the price paid for Reinhart (especially because Dougie basically went for 1 more 2nd rounder).

Reinhart is far from a sure thing, and we already have a lot of that type on our roster.

Not really a fan of today's deals by Chiarelli either, except for a relatively cheap acquisition of Cam Talbot off NYR. And we traded away Marincin (much better than Reinhart) for a guy who'll never see NHL ice.

At least we got McJesus...

Most Oiler fans I've talked to seem pretty pleased wih acquiring Reinhart, but I think they're basing that off of his 2012 draft hype rather than his AHL and NHL stints. It does make sense that they would pass on Barzal though. With Nuge and Drai, the Oilers really had no use for Barzal.

Chiarelli thinks Reinhart is ready to play next seaaon, but I can tell you that if he doesn't get some serious power skating sessions this summer, that is not happening. Reinhart has very high hockey IQ, but the guy is painful to watch on pro ice. He is also incredibly soft, and has little to no offensive upside. Maybe being in Edmonton will be good for him though. Hopefully is able to become a solid second or third pairing guy, but I just don't see him big the great dman they said he would be at the moment.

The Jets prospect pool is sick.

Most Oiler fans I've talked to seem pretty pleased wih acquiring Reinhart, but I think they're basing that off of his 2012 draft hype rather than his AHL and NHL stints. It does make sense that they would pass on Barzal though. With Nuge and Drai, the Oilers really had no use for Barzal.

Chiarelli thinks Reinhart is ready to play next seaaon, but I can tell you that if he doesn't get some serious power skating sessions this summer, that is not happening. Reinhart has very high hockey IQ, but the guy is painful to watch on pro ice. He is also incredibly soft, and has little to no offensive upside. Maybe being in Edmonton will be good for him though. Hopefully is able to become a solid second or third pairing guy, but I just don't see him big the great dman they said he would be at the moment.

The Jets prospect pool is sick.

This is why I'm confused about the acquisition, because Mclellan and Chiarelli tend to go for guys with the exact opposite qualities. Marincin, despite a shaky season, had more upside than Reinhart.

I loved watching Reinhart own the WHL and winning the Mem cup on the Oil Kings, but I'm concerned that he hasn't really developed since his draft. And re: Barzal, I'm just a fan of drafting the best player available, regardless of position. I do see why they'd pass though.

And Boston's dealing is just head scratching. From what I understand, Chiarelli departing has left Neely with more say than before, and now we're seeing the result. This has the awful stench of another Kevin Lowe type situation, and B's fans are in for a few fun seasons if that's the case.

I like the Devils 1st pick of Pavel Zacha. I'm not familiar with him, but he put up nearly a point a game in his brief time in Sarnia. The Devils are in desperate need of a true #1 center. I hope this kid is it.

Not sure why they would take a goalie in the 2nd round though. I had the impression Schneider was the long term answer in goal. I would have liked to have seen them adress their lack of scoring with every pick tbh.

I like the Devils 1st pick of Pavel Zacha. I'm not familiar with him, but he put up nearly a point a game in his brief time in Sarnia. The Devils are in desperate need of a true #1 center. I hope this kid is it.

From what I've seen his play is very similar to that of Kesler, but slightly more offensively gifted - which definitely makes him a very intriguing player. In the OHL playoffs, he lined up against McDavid and helped hold him to 'only' a point per game in the series (Connor scored much more in the other series).

Not sure why they would take a goalie in the 2nd round though. I had the impression Schneider was the long term answer in goal. I would have liked to have seen them adress their lack of scoring with every pick tbh.

Well goalies typically take longer to develop and it's a crapshoot more than any other position. my guess is that they drafted him so high because the Devils needed organizational depth in goal,meaning that they're investing in their affiliates, which will ultimately pay off in the long run, regardless if he makes it to the show or not.

As for my Jets,Chevy did pretty much did what was expected of him, which was to stockpile talent. I would have liked to have seen them trade Burmistrov's rights for a prospect and a pick, but it's not the end of the world. Once again we picked heavily from the US junior leagues, which is becoming a trend in these parts. Which I find cool, even though I find myself rooting for the americans in international competitions more now. ;)

In a surprising move, the Kings terminated Mike Richards' contract for a 'material breach'. So the Kings are off the hook for the contract (no cap hit except a small recapture penalty), and Richards doesn't get paid. Apparently his conditioning wasn't up to snuff. This is potentially massive as a precedent if it holds up. I'd imagine this will be subject to a long, drawn out legal battle between the league and the PA. Get your popcorn out, folks.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/sports/hockey/nhl/mike-richards-has-contract-terminated-by-kings-1.3132246

Archived