NHL 2015-16 - Because we still don't need a new thread!

Jabronius Maximus

Bruins fans probbaly want to get off Sweeney's Wild Ride, but it looks like it's far from over. At least it's reassuring to see that Chiarelli likely wasn't the main problem in Boston.

As for Richards, there are rumblings that it could be something worse than conditioning (ie an off ice incident). Only time will tell I suppose.

Bruins fans probbaly want to get off Sweeney's Wild Ride, but it looks like it's far from over. At least it's reassuring to see that Chiarelli likely wasn't the main problem in Boston.

As for Richards, there are rumblings that it could be something worse than conditioning (ie an off ice incident). Only time will tell I suppose.

I don't get it. I could support the Lucic deal and I guess I can kind of see dealing away Hamilton for a bag of magic beans, but he's been one of the two or three good players the Bruins have developed in the last... godknowshowmany years. The underwhelming picks are another thing.

I especially don't understand throwing too much money at an average defenseman (overpaying for average is how they got into cap hell in the first place) and this Rinaldi thing...

I guess we're rebuilding? In a half-assed, bleeding-value sort of way? It's like I sat down in the dentist's chair to get a couple of fillings and all of a sudden they put me under and root canaled me.

I don't get it. I could support the Lucic deal and I guess I can kind of see dealing away Hamilton for a bag of magic beans, but he's been one of the two or three good players the Bruins have developed in the last... godknowshowmany years. The underwhelming picks are another thing.

I especially don't understand throwing too much money at an average defenseman (overpaying for average is how they got into cap hell in the first place) and this Rinaldi thing...

I guess we're rebuilding? In a half-assed, bleeding-value sort of way? It's like I sat down in the dentist's chair to get a couple of fillings and all of a sudden they put me under and root canaled me.

I'm just baffled, honestly. The Dougie Hamilton thing is the biggest issue for me. It has come out that several GMs weren't even made aware that he was available! No idea what the rationale was there. If you want to deal a potential #1 dman, at the very least you should call around and field offers.

--

HoF class of 2015 has been announced. Fedorov, Pronger, Lidstrom, Housley, Karmanos Jr, and Bill Hay were all inducted. Couple things:

- Still no Eric Lindros! To me he was a better player than both Neely and Bure, and both of them are in the hall. The HHoF is for players, not personalities. I think it's a little silly he's still not a member.

- The cup winning 2002 Red Wings team now has 9 HoFers (probably 10 with Datsyuk eventually). In my eyes, this is the greatest team ever assembled. The coaching, depth, and talent level were all legendary.

I'm just baffled, honestly. The Dougie Hamilton thing is the biggest issue for me. It has come out that several GMs weren't even made aware that he was available! No idea what the rationale was there. If you want to deal a potential #1 dman, at the very least you should call around and field offers.

--

HoF class of 2015 has been announced. Fedorov, Pronger, Lidstrom, Housley, Karmanos Jr, and Bill Hay were all inducted. Couple things:

- Still no Eric Lindros! To me he was a better player than both Neely and Bure, and both of them are in the hall. The HHoF is for players, not personalities. I think it's a little silly he's still not a member.

- The cup winning 2002 Red Wings team now has 9 HoFers (probably 10 with Datsyuk eventually). In my eyes, this is the greatest team ever assembled. The coaching, depth, and talent level were all legendary.

9? Damn, didn't realize it was that many. They're definitely in the conversation, but I think a strong case can be made for the 80's Oilers, & 70's Habs too.

There are whispers around here that Edmonton put in a better offer for Hamilton but they didn't want to give him to Chiarelli. Something stinks about this Hamilton deal. Especially now that the predictable smears about him are showing up in the press.

j

I just happened to be watching the draft when the Bruins made their three consecutive picks, and the impression that the on-air hosts had was that they had someone in particular whom they were coveting, and needed to shave some cap space while they were at it. Which makes sense, except for the fact that Dougie Hamilton is a good young d-man and would be a nice addition to any up and coming team, like the Flames. If they intend on a partial rebuild, trading a potential top tier defenceman in exchange for a prospect who may be able to contribute in two to three years, doesn't make much sense to me.

Chicago traded Saad and a number of players to Columbus for Anisimov, Mark Dano, a couple more players, and a 2016 4th.

Dano is a pretty good prospect and Anisimov is useful, but other than that, Columbus really didn't give up that much.

The Metro is going to be a headache next year. It'll be a toss up between the Isles, Jackets, Capitals, and Pens. The only lock for a playoff spot is probably the Rangers, despite their upcoming inevitable decline.

Well Hamilton signed for 5.75 per over 6 years in Calgary. Boston offered pretty much the same amount, which opens the possibility Dougie didn't want to be there.

We'll likely never know exactly what went down. All I know is I hate the Flames even more now. Every game against them will be a rough ride for the Oil.

Oh my...the goals, all those goals...

And 6 years for Sekera isnt great in my view. We'll need all the cap space in the world once our core players' contracts are up. I hope chia knows what he's doing.

Edit: not only that, the Pens didn't give up Maatta, and somehow swindled Toronto into retaining $1.2m of Kessels salary for 7 years. What are the Leafs doing?

Looks like the Kessel trade is bigger. Toronto retains 15% of his salary and also receive Spaling and a 3rd. The Pens get Tyler Biggs, Tim Erixon, and a 2016 2nd.

Kapanen and Harrington are ok prospects, but I think the Pens still won that trade.

So is it safe to say the Pens are a lock for the playoffs?

Edit: Sather is stepping down as the Rangers GM. What a say so far.

Assuming good health, the Pens should be battling for the division let alone being a playoff lock. If Bennet moves to a top 6 role, that'll possibly result in a Kunitz-Sutter-Dupuis 3rd line. Organizationally they're fairly thin in talent, but this team is locked and loaded to win right now. The Metro division will be hell next season.

Assuming good health, the Pens should be battling for the division let alone being a playoff lock. If Bennet moves to a top 6 role, that'll possibly result in a Kunitz-Sutter-Dupuis 3rd line. Organizationally they're fairly thin in talent, but this team is locked and loaded to win right now. The Metro division will be hell next season.

AHAHAAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHHA

:(

I like the Kessel trade for the Pens, especially dumping Spaling and his $2 mil cap hit, also the Leafs eating $1.2 mil a year on Kessels salary. It will be interesting to see how they fill out the rest of the forward spots now, at least they are set on D.

I'm torn on this Kessel trade. Once again we give away another first round draft pick. I was excited to see how Kapanen would pan out for us next season, but so much for that. Harrington seemed decent; small sample size with him. If this doesn't work out I'll be pissed that we seem to not learn from our mistakes in throwing first round picks like dollar bills at the first pair of tits you see. Every offseason seems to be a desperate effort to find a permanent winger for Crosby/Malkin. Surely Crosby will get Kessel, and Malkin will receive the hand-me-downs (Kunitz, Dupuis, Perron. etc) like the baby brother (even though he's older) he's treated as.

ETA: I'm happy Spaling is gone. What a waste of money.

And ToHG, the Pens a lock to make the playoffs? Is that ever a question? Really? That's the problem. We make it and flunk out.

Archived