NHL 2015-16 - Because we still don't need a new thread!

Jabronius Maximus

Okay, jokes aside, that's a pretty good trade for the Pens. Its also got a lot of conditionals, it looks like. If the Pens make the post-season, Leafs get Pitt's 1st round pick and the Pens get Toronto's second (the one we gave them for Winnik, iirc). If they don't make the postseason, the conditional gets pushed off to next year. If they miss both post-seasons, Leafs get a 2nd round pick from the Pens and the Pens get nothing.

e: vvvvvv And I see nothing wrong with trading to find a permanent winger for Crosby/Malkin. They both deserve to have some support up front, and I was really happy with Hornqvist for providing just that.

e2: And some friends and I might be going in on season tickets. Fancy.

I'm torn on this Kessel trade. Once again we give away another first round draft pick. I was excited to see how Kapanen would pan out for us next season, but so much for that. Harrington seemed decent; small sample size with him. If this doesn't work out I'll be pissed that we seem to not learn from our mistakes in throwing first round picks like dollar bills at the first pair of tits you see. Every offseason seems to be a desperate effort to find a permanent winger for Crosby/Malkin. Surely Crosby will get Kessel, and Malkin will receive the hand-me-downs (Kunitz, Dupuis, Perron. etc) like the baby brother (even though he's older) he's treated as.

At least this time the 1st rounder is for a proven goal scoring winger instead of one with a "high-ceiling". And Kessel is only 27. It would be smart to put Hornqvist on the 2nd line with Malkin to give him a competent winger, with whom he did have good chemistry with last season.

Nice to see a fellow Yinzer on here too!

At least this time the 1st rounder is for a proven goal scoring winger instead of one with a "high-ceiling". And Kessel is only 27. It would be smart to put Hornqvist on the 2nd line with Malkin to give him a competent winger, with whom he did have good chemistry with last season.

Nice to see a fellow Yinzer on here too!

Salute to you, ser :cheers:

Yeah Hornqvist would be a nice fit for Malkin. Seems like Dupuis and Kunitz will go to the third line with Sutter? That's a decent third line that could score. Mark Madden just pointed out that one of the best elements of the trade is that we didn't get rid of Pouliot or Maata. I'd have to agree. This'll be interesting.

And ToHG, the Pens a lock to make the playoffs? Is that ever a question? Really? That's the problem. We make it and flunk out.

In fairness, Columbus and Florida are slowly getting better, and the Pens almost fell out at the end of last season, though that's more due to injuries I suppose.

Metro is going to be a bit tough this year. Before today, I had the Rangers as the only sure lock.

Wouldn't they have to dump Scuds/Dupuis/Kunitz (or one of them)? They have very little cap space as it is to fill out the rest of their roster. I'd imagine a trade is on the way.

I pray to the hockey gods that we get rid of Scuderi. Dude needs to hang 'em up.

• 3 weeks later...

After a few years of highly publicised swings and misses in free agency, Babcock bolts and Detroit lands two of the bigger names they've signed in a long time. Maybe the rumors about players being put off by his hardass style were true...a few months with him in the Olympics with a great shot at coming home with a gold medal is a lot easier to swallow than season after season.

• 1 month later...
http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=779258

PK Subban pledges $10 million, or 16% of his salary, to the Montreal Children's Hospital over the next 7 years. Apparently that's the largest donation ever by a canadian athlete. Say what you want about his on ice antics (for the record I think he's a fantastic defenseman), but he's just pure class off the ice. Go PK!

http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=779258

PK Subban pledges $10 million, or 16% of his salary, to the Montreal Children's Hospital over the next 7 years. Apparently that's the largest donation ever by a canadian athlete. Say what you want about his on ice antics (for the record I think he's a fantastic defenseman), but he's just pure class off the ice. Go PK!

Have to say, I've always liked PK (I like players with an edge), and this just makes me like him even more. Classy move.

• 1 month later...

Devils continue to suprise me with how well they're playing. Nice to see Adam Henrique back to form, and putting up points. Cammalleri is getting hot too. Good win over the Pens tonight. 

Don't want to get ahead of myself, but maybe John Hynes was the right choice. 

I will amend my cries to fire Mike Johnston into the sun by saying that Johnston and Tocchet should be ritualistically cast into the Ohio River from the top of Mt. Washington.  

e: Devils also played well, credit where its due.  

Sign me up. Bad weekend of hockey for the Pens.

Sign me up. Bad weekend of hockey for the Pens.

Lets be honest:  its not just a bad weekend.  Its been a bad season.  They're only where they are, points-wise, because MAF has been playing like he's possessed and Malkin occasionally says "fuck this" and takes the puck end-to-end to score.  And, that no matter how smothered all of that top talent is right now, they're still top talent and they can still put up points when the chances come to them.  They just can't make those chances often.

When was the last time you saw Crosby on a fast break?  It can't just be Crosby slumping, because they all are.  Half the time, their wins feel like losses, and their dump-and-chase is just frustrating to watch.  

Lets be honest:  its not just a bad weekend.  Its been a bad season.  They're only where they are, points-wise, because MAF has been playing like he's possessed and Malkin occasionally says "fuck this" and takes the puck end-to-end to score.  And, that no matter how smothered all of that top talent is right now, they're still top talent and they can still put up points when the chances come to them.  They just can't make those chances often.

When was the last time you saw Crosby on a fast break?  It can't just be Crosby slumping, because they all are.  Half the time, their wins feel like losses, and their dump-and-chase is just frustrating to watch.  

It reminds me of when they were slumping with Therrien and after he got fired, Bylsma opened up the offense and they started producing. The type of offensive talent they have should not be focused on getting back into the defensive zone as much as they are, which is why I think the fast breaks are so lacking. What's funny is that Disco Dan's offensive scheme is exactly what this team probably needs.

Ugh the oil can't seem to buy a win despite their best efforts. They are getting closer and closer to turning a corner, but here they sit in the all too familiar 30th spot. Difference is they've been highly competitive, often outplaying opponents. You gotta figure the results will come soon. 

Hall has been playing out of his mind, and Draisaitl looks to be the real deal, so it's not all bad. Nurse looks like a hell of a player too. 

When McDavid returns, I expect the Oilers to register more wins. But what will that lead to in the standings - 24th or something like that? The gap between them and the playoff teams are growing with each loss.

Archived