NHL 2015-16 - Because we still don't need a new thread!

Jabronius Maximus

Well the Pacific division has been laughable aside from LA and maybe SJ so far. Again I don't think they'll make the playoffs, but they can be competitive in this division if they can turn the corner. My hope is they can at least fight for 3rd place, because the central will probably get both wild card spots. 

I like the decision to go 3 on 3 in the All Star game. Now they need to use is in OT, instead of the stupid shootout. 

It'll be interesting at least, which is something that really hasn't been said about an All Star game in a looooong time.

Ok.

I have to ask:

How many first overall picks in a decade does it take to make a decent NHL team?

Apparently more than the Oilers got.

I am curious if the Panthers will make the Play-Offs this season.

Their rebuilding project at least seems to be roughly going into the right direction. 

And with Luongo they have a very capable goalie to say the least. Too bad he will be retired by time Huberdeau, Barkov and Ekblad will peak.

As for the Pens they had three legit #1 picks that turned out to be All Stars.

I know Malkin went #2 after Ovechkin, but talentwise he would have gone as first overall in almost any other given draft year. So that one Stanley Cup feels like a very meagre outcome given the potential they had and still have on their team.

Ok.

I have to ask:

How many first overall picks in a decade does it take to make a decent NHL team?

Apparently more than the Oilers got.

I am curious if the Panthers will make the Play-Offs this season.

Their rebuilding project at least seems to be roughly going into the right direction. 

And with Luongo they have a very capable goalie to say the least. Too bad he will be retired by time Huberdeau, Barkov and Ekblad will peak.

with the bone-headed old regime (Lowe and co), no amount of first overall picks would make a decent NHL squad. They seemed to see the picks as the solution, and failed to build a positive environment throughout the whole organization for the young guys (the actual solution). If Chia and co can't turn it around, then we'll be on our way to becoming the Raiders of the NHL (if we aren't already). 

As for the Pens, it's a combination of bad injury luck and poor management. The stars haven't been simultaneously healthy in a long time. Furthermore, Shero's consistent trade deadline 'wizardry' and iffy drafting has left the Pens with little depth on the roster. It'd be pretty disappointing to see this group only win one cup. They definitely have the top end talent, but I think their lack of depth will bite them big time in the playoffs (assuming they make it). 

with the bone-headed old regime (Lowe and co), no amount of first overall picks would make a decent NHL squad. They seemed to see the picks as the solution, and failed to build a positive environment throughout the whole organization for the young guys (the actual solution). If Chia and co can't turn it around, then we'll be on our way to becoming the Raiders of the NHL (if we aren't already). 

As for the Pens, it's a combination of bad injury luck and poor management. The stars haven't been simultaneously healthy in a long time. Furthermore, Shero's consistent trade deadline 'wizardry' and iffy drafting has left the Pens with little depth on the roster. It'd be pretty disappointing to see this group only win one cup. They definitely have the top end talent, but I think their lack of depth will bite them big time in the playoffs (assuming they make it). 

I agree partly. On both issues.

The Oilers also did not draft as good, as they should have. Given their amount of early first rounders.

Hall turned out to be everything they hoped he would. Excellent player. Some other draft picks, were not busts, but Captain Hindsight would not have drafted them at those positions (I think of Gagner (not #1, but I find his output a bit meh for a Top 10 pick) or Nugent-Hopkins as first overall, Yakupov is maybe a better example. Not really a draft bust, but you certainly hope for more output from #1 overall. And they always went for the "big thing" instead of what they would have needed, some quality at the backend. Considering the way the Canucks got robbed by the Devils in the Schneider deal, I am sure the Oilers would have been able to get Schneider and thus a legit starting goalie for a reasonable price. On the second rounders they had their fair share busts.

The Pens.

Yes, Fleury is a mystery. On a good day he plays like an All Star, on a bad day he gives away terrible rebounds and super soft goals. As hard as it sounds, but injuries are part of the game. Look at the Hawks last year, when Kane went out. They struggled a bit, but did not collapse. And Crosby was healthy, but invisible during their Cup run. The Pens were more or less carried by Malkin through the Play Offs (the reasons, why I rate Malkin higher than Crosby).

They were not that bad in terms of depth on the defense. But then they seem to come up with some Milbury trades (no, not just Shero, Rutherford has it in him too). The latest one was Depres for Lovejoy. I can see how difficult it is to fit Letang, Crosby, Malkin and Fleury on his ridiculous contract under the salary cap and maintain a decent sidecast, but realistically speaking they should have gotten some better return for what they gave up in some trades.

P.S.

Does anybody know the odds of Matthews going to the Oilers next season? Though Chychrun looks like a better fit for their needs. If you manage to finish behind the Leafs (who should really finish dead last pointwise in the league with their team), then you really end up as the laughing stock of the league.

P.P.S.

How many more #1 picks within the next years would it take, before some prospect pulls a Lindros on Edmonton says: "No way, I am going there."

It's high time for a coaching change in Pittsburgh. This team has too much talent to be under performing like this. If Fleury wasn't playing as well as he has this year, their record would be abysmal. And the lack of any real toughness outside of Eric Fehr is really showing, especially on D. It's pathetic when you can say Ben Lovejoy is their physical presence on the blue line...

Yeah Fleury has been a stud this year.

As for the "stars", give me Malkin over Crosby any day.  5 years ago I would've said otherwise but I can't tell you how long it's been since I've seen Crosby dominate a game and take over. He used to do it all the time, and now it's once in a blue moon. Malkin has put together a number of great performances this season (last night included).

Crosby is starting to remind me of the girl who goes through a ton of boyfriends and everyone always wonders why she can't find a good guy when the problem is really with the girl. Crosby gets a new winger to work with every week and can't find any that work well with him. Maybe the issue is with Crosby? I would actually like to see us trade him for a number of top 6 players if that could be possible. I'd be more than happy to see Malkin as our number one center. We already have a solid 3rd line center in Bonino whom could be a capable second line center. Trading away Crosby could get another great winger and/or top defenseman. 

Yeah Fleury has been a stud this year.

As for the "stars", give me Malkin over Crosby any day.  5 years ago I would've said otherwise but I can't tell you how long it's been since I've seen Crosby dominate a game and take over. He used to do it all the time, and now it's once in a blue moon. Malkin has put together a number of great performances this season (last night included).

Crosby is starting to remind me of the girl who goes through a ton of boyfriends and everyone always wonders why she can't find a good guy when the problem is really with the girl. Crosby gets a new winger to work with every week and can't find any that work well with him. Maybe the issue is with Crosby? I would actually like to see us trade him for a number of top 6 players if that could be possible. I'd be more than happy to see Malkin as our number one center. We already have a solid 3rd line center in Bonino whom could be a capable second line center. Trading away Crosby could get another great winger and/or top defenseman. 

I've said I would take Malkin over Crosby for years, but trading Crosby would be sheer lunacy. I would call for the head of the GM if my team did such a thing. 

I've said I would take Malkin over Crosby for years, but trading Crosby would be sheer lunacy. I would call for the head of the GM if my team did such a thing. 

Why? I think our team has hit a plateau with him. Why not trade him while he's 28 years old and worth a lot of value in return? I have to believe that the reason why wingers come here and leave after a short tenure has something to do with him being so difficult to play with. Kessel came here to play with Crosby and that lasted for two weeks before he was moved to Malkin's line. Why does the guy have to be so damn hard to play with? I can put up with that if he's tearing it up like he did a few years ago but it doesn't happen like that anymore. All he does is try to make these absurd cross-ice passes that defenders have become adept at identifying. He doesn't adapt his game. 

Why? I think our team has hit a plateau with him. Why not trade him while he's 28 years old and worth a lot of value in return? I have to believe that the reason why wingers come here and leave after a short tenure has something to do with him being so difficult to play with. Kessel came here to play with Crosby and that lasted for two weeks before he was moved to Malkin's line. Why does the guy have to be so damn hard to play with? I can put up with that if he's tearing it up like he did a few years ago but it doesn't happen like that anymore. All he does is try to make these absurd cross-ice passes that defenders have become adept at identifying. He doesn't adapt his game. 

I saw a clip of Sid and Hornqvist jawing at each other on the bench last night, and then during 3-on-3 they had Kunitz skating with Sid. It doesn't seem like they are working too well together on the top line. I wouldn't even be surprised to see them cave and put Kunitz on the line and drop Hornqvist down, ridiculous as it would be just to appease Crosby. This team seems like it is pretty close to total disaster.

I saw a clip of Sid and Hornqvist jawing at each other on the bench last night, and then during 3-on-3 they had Kunitz skating with Sid. It doesn't seem like they are working too well together on the top line. I wouldn't even be surprised to see them cave and put Kunitz on the line and drop Hornqvist down, ridiculous as it would be just to appease Crosby. This team seems like it is pretty close to total disaster.

I missed that.  I really don't think people on the team see eye to eye with him on strategy. Hornqvist is a great player. Is it so crazy for Crosby to adapt his game to make Hornqvist better?  I don't see why these guys always have to change for Sid.  This whole Kunitz playing with Sid thing is tired.  Kunitz has lost that explosion to play on the first line.  He served well but that time is over.

I don't see why these guys always have to change for Sid.  This whole Kunitz playing with Sid thing is tired.  Kunitz has lost that explosion to play on the first line.  He served well but that time is over.

Well, they did it...http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/9514413-74/dupuis-kunitz-crosby#axzz3t7DV4qtV. Pathetic.

• 2 weeks later...

Oil are now 2 points behind 2nd in the division (albeit with 2 more games played). This division is a shit show, but I'll take it at this point. Hall and Draisaitl are just fantastic together.

And of course, in true Oiler fashion, we have another key injury (Klefbom). Great. 

In other news, the Pens fired Johnston, who probably shouldnt have been coach in the first place. Whats the deal with Mike Sullivan (the replacement)? 

In other news, the Pens fired Johnston, who probably shouldnt have been coach in the first place. Whats the deal with Mike Sullivan (the replacement)? 

Sullivan was the coach of the WBS Baby Pens and they've been having a phenomenal season.  He's also been an assistant to...some team in the east.  Rags maybe?  Not sure.  Whatever, its not Johnston.  And I'll defend Crosby here.  I think Johnston ran an utterly stifling system that mandated grinds up the boards which is completely not Crosby's style or skillset at all.  And with a group of relatively slow defensemen, Johnston's only way of entering the zone seemed to be with defensemen, en masse, instead of anything with any fluidity.  Neither works well for Crosby, whereas Malkin occasionally just says "fuck it" and takes it end to end.  He's been having a better year, imo, because he's in part just ignoring Johnston's system.  

Good for them.  Now Mario needs to get over his love for Tocchett and send him off too.  

e:  That's not to say that Crosby also isn't underperforming.  He is, just I think a lot of it is coach-based instead of player-based, and calls to have him gone are incredibly premature until we get a coach that isn't going to play a defensive, conservative, cautious, grinding game with the players that they do.  

And Crosby was healthy, but invisible during their Cup run. The Pens were more or less carried by Malkin through the Play Offs (the reasons, why I rate Malkin higher than Crosby)

What playoffs were you watching? Crosby had 31 points the year they won the Cup. The only player to score more points in a playoffs since Crosby did that was Malkin in the same year (he ended with 36). That was also the year Ovie and Sid met in the playoffs, with both scoring a hat trick in the same game. He had one of the best postseasons in NHL history (and Malkin doing the same was just amazing to watch). They don't make the finals for a rematch with Detriot without Crosby. 

Archived