NHL 2015-16 - Because we still don't need a new thread!

Jabronius Maximus

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Nice game for Devils rookie Sergey Kalinin.  Gordie Howe hat-trick against the Rags. The Devils taking 3 out of 4 from those evil blue shirted bastards is highly satisfying. Regardless what the Metropolitan standings look like. 

NJ is great at taking away shots and has excellent goaltending (sound familiar?). That save by Schneids on Miller today was just unreal. They have a nice group of young players, and are a star or 2 away from being a pretty formidable team. 

That said, the Metro is only going to get tougher. In addition to the fab 4 - WSH, NYI, NYR, PIT - the devils and canes are on the way up. That'll be one hell of a division battle next year, even more so than this year.

Edit: Not really a fan of Blandisi's recent diving antics though. He should stick to making plays on offense, not acting.

The save : https://streamable.com/5d7j

On 24.2.2016 at 2:29 PM, Jabronius Maximus said:

Canuck fans died inside a little more after reading that...

I must admit I had to chuckle a bit. If you really want to see Canucks fans cry, tell them that, and remind them, that they are still paying parts of Luongo's salary.

Just wanted to thank Pittsburgh. Thanks for taking Justin Schultz off our hands, and throwing us a 3rd rounder to boot! I don't care if he becomes a decent player in Pitt; he was never going to amount to anything here and would serve as a $3.9M/yr hole in our cap. 

Anyways, last couple days have seen a flurry of trades. Cmon GMs, leave something for monday so the boys at TSN have something to talk about on their deadline show! 

Well, for the Penguins it made sense, they needed more depth on the blue line anyway. With Schultz it's imo a legit question, whether it was really just not him, or whether it was the whole organization around him, that sucked that badly. And with the Oilers retaining half the salary it looks like a very decent gamble, to say the least. And they gave up a third round pick, whether that pick will actually translate into an NHL player remains to be seen. 

So anything else available on the fire sale? Likesay Hall? :) I am somewhat more inclined to believe Eberle is on the block, but who knows. :)

Ladd is back with the Hawks, Scuderi is back with the Kings.

Reimer and Polak are now playing for the Sharks, Reimer is a clear upgrade over Stalock.

Hudler, Purcell (and Kindl) are playing for the Panthers.

Anders Nilsson is with the Blues - maybe they needed some insurance if Elliott is injured?

I find it somewhat amusing that two Penguins defenseman who were on the nhl roster this time last year were traded for each other (Scuderi for Ehrhoff). As bad as the Pens D has been this year, I thank the maker these old, overpriced clowns are gone...

Yeah, honestly, Schultz makes sense for the Pens.  Right now, their bottom six forwards are essentially AHL players and their D depth is the same.  They've got Dumoulin, Letang, Maata, and Daley as their anchoring defensemen. Getting a...well, I have no idea, really but getting any defenseman better than Scuderi is a step up and a 3rd round pick is basically a pick for the AHL farm team.  Who knows if they'll ever even make the NHL?  

And Ehrhoff may have been iffy this year, but I'd still take him back on the team for a playoff run. Defensive depth is desperately, desperately needed, especially since Fleury seems to be finally dropping off of his insane start from earlier this year.  

e: He makes sense provided the Oilers are paying half of his salary, at least.  

5 hours ago, MerenthaClone said:

Yeah, honestly, Schultz makes sense for the Pens.  Right now, their bottom six forwards are essentially AHL players and their D depth is the same.  They've got Dumoulin, Letang, Maata, and Daley as their anchoring defensemen. Getting a...well, I have no idea, really but getting any defenseman better than Scuderi is a step up and a 3rd round pick is basically a pick for the AHL farm team.  Who knows if they'll ever even make the NHL?  

And Ehrhoff may have been iffy this year, but I'd still take him back on the team for a playoff run. Defensive depth is desperately, desperately needed, especially since Fleury seems to be finally dropping off of his insane start from earlier this year.  

e: He makes sense provided the Oilers are paying half of his salary, at least.  

Not a bad trade, I'm guessing Lovejoy is going to out for a while which probably necessitated this move. It also shows how much they've soured on Ian Cole. Fleury has probably been a little overworked and it's starting to show, but Zatkoff has been terrible and really leaves Sullivan no choice but to keep Fleury in the net with a playoff spot on the line.

3 hours ago, Nictarion said:

2 hat tricks in 3 games? :o

That kid is something special. If he stays hot like this nobody is going to want to play the Preds coming down the stretch. 

Playoffs should be insane in the west as always. We have picked a good time to get hot. Hope we can keep it up (especially Pekka). 

You guys getting Kovy back or what?

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

Playoffs should be insane in the west as always. We have picked a good time to get hot. Hope we can keep it up (especially Pekka). 

You guys getting Kovy back or what?

Idk you basically need a law degree to figure out all the different stipulations of his return. 

On one hand I'd love to have him back as the Devils desperately need a top tier goal scorer, on the other hand he really pissed me off when he chose to leave 100 million dollars and a cup contending team behind to go play in Russia. The Devils have never recovered from losing him and Parise. It will be interesting to see how Shero handles it.

A few questions though.

Assuming he is indeed allowed to return...

What will be his contract status?

Considering his age, he can't be RFA, would that make him an UFA, or would the rights remain with the Devils?

If the rights remained with the Devils, would he pick up his old contract? The one he voided I mean. If so, can the Devils fit that rather big contract under the salary cap?

Archived