Top 5 favorite fantasy series?

VicAndTheSquidSquad

A bit of a sidebar... with the mentions of a Wheel of Time. As a fan of ASoIaF would I enjoy it? I've heard pro and con reviews of the series. Most of the negative I've heard is Jordan's more into world building than story telling or something to that effect. I've always been hesitant to try new authors for some reason even if I am looking for a new series to read. I don't want to distract from the thread so if some readers of that series could send me a PM, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Read it recently and absolutely loved it. I enjoyed it almost as much as ASOIAF. It is fantastic.

Books 9 and 10 are annoying though and it is difficult to motivate yourself to read them. They really are as bad as people say.

1-6, 12 and 14 are top notch in the other side.

Looking at the above, I noticed that I tend to like series with rich back stories / world building. Sometimes, I wish I got to read those "origin" stories instead but I think that might take the magic out of it, so to speak.

I like quite a few of those book very much myself, but none of the books are actually very good examples of world building. If you want something more hard-core, I suggest you sample Tolkien (in particular, the Silmarillion) and Bakker’s Second Apocalypse (the greatest show in town currently for me an quite a few other posters.) Also, the Malazan Book of the Fallen and Wheel of Time fall into that category, though I like neither very much.

But worldbuilding is quite shallow and generic in FL, even more so than in ASoIaF. (Regardless of this, I'd also recommend to give it at least a try because it does have other qualities.)

1. Terry Brooks - Shannara

2. Davaid Eddings - The Belgariad

3. Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickmon - Dragonlance

4. Piers Anthony - Xanth

5. Robert Lynn Aspirin - Myth Adventures

Oh... Wait a minute.... That was my list from the 80's. All of you internet whiners and naysayers don't know how lucky you are today to have people like Rothfus, Abraham, Lynch, Abercrombie and Martin. Although you do have to deal with over rated and over hyped garbage like Baker and Erickson though.

Well, I meant I would not lump the Myth books in with those, other series, though to be fair I wouldn't lump even Eddings with Xanth, but my hatred for all things Piers Anthony is like that of a thousand thousand burning suns.

One could almost say you're on fire with hate.

1. Terry Brooks - Shannara

2. Davaid Eddings - The Belgariad

3. Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickmon - Dragonlance

4. Piers Anthony - Xanth

5. Robert Lynn Aspirin - Myth Adventures

Oh... Wait a minute.... That was my list from the 80's. All of you internet whiners and naysayers don't know how lucky you are today to have people like Rothfus, Abraham, Lynch, Abercrombie and Martin. Although you do have to deal with over rated and over hyped garbage like Baker and Erickson though.

Where is Terry Goodkind?

alright. everyone who mentioned LotR is disqualified as a lumpenized antisocial nihilist, because LotR's not a series.

I wanted to say the same thing. But nicer :leaving:

Archived