[BOOK SPOILERS] Discussing Sansa XVIII - DeReekerization

Mladen

I still don't get why, if the showrunners have been planning since season 2 for this storyline, there was no sign Sansa even knew her brothers were dead until episode 505. That seems like a payoff that could have been set up better. That said, nice to see Sansa get that information, though it doesn't seem like it has much immediate consequence -- I know some people were speculating that this would give her new hope or whatever (and indeed, based on one of Sophie's interviews at the start of the season, I thought that might be how they would play it), but Sansa was already totally composed and put-together at the start of the scene, full of righteous anger. She didn't come across as somebody in real need of something to live for (particularly in comparison to her first scene last week).

Um, why? She wasn't doing this because she desperately wants to be heir. She wants the Boltons out of her house (even if that seems like a remote possibility at this juncture).

She made a huge personal sacrafice because she felt she had to due to the fact she thought she was the last of the Starks.

She made a huge personal sacrafice because she felt she had to due to the fact she thought she was the last of the Starks.

I don't think being the supposed last Stark was that big a factor. She wanted to take charge of her life and fight back (...by marrying them), and she clearly wants them out of her home. Are you suggesting she thinks it should rightly be Bran getting raped by Ramsay instead?

That's a really weird character beat, then, because the Sansa we see at the start of that scene is easily the most ferocious the character has been since she got to Winterfell. If they were trying to convey that she really needed that extra motivation, they botched that completely.

Rape made no sense. Dead lady made no sense... All we were waiting is Theon spilling beans... I agree, it is senseless.

At this point it feels like every plot is working on its own timeline. Winterfell (and Meereen) appear to have picked up almost immediately after last episode; in Sansa's case, maybe, like, the next day, seeing as Theon apparently brings her all her food and this is the first time she's seen him since.

Yeah, that makes sense. I was just wondering how long it took her to change out of that dress and back into her Stark clothing. I feel like it was visual evidence of her saying "I might be different, but I'm not broken" or something along those lines.

I don't think being the supposed last Stark was that big a factor. She wanted to take charge of her life and fight back (...by marrying them), and she clearly wants them out of her home. Are you suggesting she thinks it should rightly be Bran getting raped by Ramsay instead?

No, but she has had to endure things that she should not have had to but on the other hand, she has to make something out of this and I am pretty sure that is what she is going to do. she is a survivor and she now will undertake the restoration of her youngest brother to Winterfell. Bran will not be able to be reached, atleast for the time being for obvious reasons but Rickon might. The thing is, where? Theon does not even know that. Somewhere, I think with the Umbers, someone is going to have to come out with Rickon. I mean, how will Sansa know where to look?

Rape made no sense. Dead lady made no sense... All we were waiting is Theon spilling beans... I agree, it is senseless.

yeah, trashed her character unless, she is to outright inherit house Bolton like Lady Waynwood inherited Waynwood Castle and lands in the books. No heirs and being the widow of the last lord, it was hers.

As much as I hate Ramsay, I don't want Stannis or Davos to kill him. I want to see him eventually die at the hands of either Sansa or Theon. That being said, I can't see him dying in the finale. He and Roose are the only REAL villains the show has. Take them away and you take away that "bad guy" element. There should be another bad guy coming up here soon whenever Ser Robert Strong finally shows up.

I hope Ramsay doesn't (and I don't think he will) kill Stannis. I think he'll sneak into his camp and kill a lot of his men and then retreat. Killing Stannis and then having to kill Shireen would be just awful. Nevertheless, I think this whole arc will go into season 6.

I agree

I'm more and more inclined to believe that Sansa is going to write to Jon once Ramsay leaves. I'm honestly surprised the Wall hasn't recieved the news about their marriage yet.

Stannis too even. Then again, the Boltons you would think would broadcast this all over the North but not wanting it to go South. Also, The Boltons think Littlefinger has their back, afterall he GAVE them Sansa Stark, so we can trust him, right ? (from Roose Bolton's perspective)

Sophie said Sansa would have an ambiguous ending this season...

Could this be it for Sansa this season? She's been in 8 episodes this season, what could be more ambiguous than her knowing her brothers are alive and leave the season with people wondering what will she do afterwards?

Could this be it for Sansa this season? She's been in 8 episodes this season, what could be more ambiguous than her knowing her brothers are alive and leave the season with people wondering what will she do afterwards?

Sansa will be in all 10. That is all but confirmed.

Anyone know if there was a time skip between episodes 7 and 8? I noticed Sansa was back into her dark, formal attire rather than the raggedy white dress she was wearing in episode 7.

There is no need for a timeskip for that: Sansa goes back to her chambers after taking the tour of Winterfell last episode. Gets locked in. Ramsay walks in during the night and rapes her. Next morning, she chooses a fancy dress to confront Theon.

yeah, trashed her character unless, she is to outright inherit house Bolton like Lady Waynwood inherited Waynwood Castle and lands in the books. No heirs and being the widow of the last lord, it was hers.

I doubt the Bolton garrison would follow her if she openly executes Roose while Ramsay is away. And I don't think they'll obey her if she orders them to keep Ramsay outside Winterfell. She will need subterfuge if she's planning to inherit the garrison.

As in, kill either Fat Walda or Roose, pin it on Ramsay while Ramsay is away somehow (pin it on Myranda?) and, somehow, get rid of Roose. Mmm... Jaqen would have a hard time planning and executing all that.

This is probably going to sound stupid to you people, but this episode taught me what Sansa's real arc is. It's not her abuse, it's not her being a victim or getting revenge or any of that crap. Her arc is her family. She didn't want to be a Stark, then lost her family and realises how important they were, now she knows Bran and Rickon alive and she'll try do something about. She has a reason to survive now. That's her arc. I like it. I like it a lot.

Maybe her ambiguous ending could be killing Myranda out of self defense? Assuming Ramsay wouldn't be back in Winterfell, that means she'd be at the mercy of Roose.

Archived