[BOOK SPOILERS] Discussing Sansa XVIII - DeReekerization

Mladen

You're actually one of the few people who is acknowledging Sansa's Tully side, which most people seem to forget (even though she's the most Tully of all of the Stark children), they look at her as just a Stark as all the kids. This kind of made me think of her in a different way, and TBH her whole path this season does revolve around "Family, Duty, Honor". She is Catelyn Tully's daughter as well, the Starks were not the only ones who were done wrong, the Tully's are/were a prominent house as well.

What does it mean Tully side? Is she a less Stark than Arya? And when we are on that, is Ned less Stark than Brandon? And if we are comparing children to their parents, Arya is Cat's daughter through and through.

I loved the acting in this Sansa scene, but I think the plot has been predictable ever since Sansa arrived at WF. I knew that the Bran/Rickon reveal would happen this episode. In fact, even the editing was predictable. The cut from the door closing on Cercei's cell to a close up of the door in Sansa's room - I knew even before the camera panned out that we were in WF and that Reek/Theon would be opening the door. The remainder of the season will be limited to her actual escape and maybe to meeting Breianne afterwards (who will be a substitute for Yara).

For me, the best aspects of TV GOT are the surprises and deviations from the book. I like not knowing what's going to happen. Sansa filling the Jeyne role was certainly a deviation, but once that substitution became obvious, I gave up hope that Sana's story would be promising. She's not going to be an avenger or evolve as a player in the game - there are not enough seasons left to realistically get to that point.

I am excited to see what happens next season since the book and TV characters are geographically so far apart. But after so many seasons with not enough character development, I don't believe that Sansa will be the dark horse who turns into the player to be reckoned with. Both in the show and the books, she has been a foil for other characters. Sansa fans have focused too much on minutia in the belief that it demonstrates character development. I'm disappointed that Sansa is not the character I had hoped she'd be, and as result her storyline seems a bit stale to me.

Okay but how can Sansa not be in next week's episode? No hints of an escape plan and not enough time for her really accomplish anything significant by the end of the season, even if she is in 509 imo. It's strange to me too that we've barely seen Brienne. Is she going to do anything by the end of the season? At this point, I feel like the best bet is for her to meetup with Stannis in 510 and grudgingly join him.

Though to be fair, they could have Theon's confession scene next week and then just have the escape in 510 with no buildup to it. Just have Theon be like "I know the way out" and they'll use the crypts or something. I could see them doing this lol though at this point I think it's extremely likely we've all just been taking for granted there would be escape when the show might not do that.

What does it mean Tully side? Is she a less Stark than Arya? And when we are on that, is Ned less Stark than Brandon? And if we are comparing children to their parents, Arya is Cat's daughter through and through.

Why are you making an assumption that she's less of a Stark than Arya or any of her siblings as if there needs to be a definite side? Then extending that to Ned and Brandon who haven't even been mentioned so far. I'm stating that House Tully is pretty much forgotten or pushed to the side specially when compared to House Stark. Sansa, Arya, Bran and Rickon are all Cat's children and Tully's through and through which is something people don't seem to bring up as much and it takes a back seat to their Stark parentage.

Why are you making an assumption that she's less of a Stark than Arya or any of her siblings as if there needs to be a definite side? Then extending that to Ned and Brandon who haven't even been mentioned so far. I'm stating that House Tully is pretty much forgotten or pushed to the side specially when compared to House Stark. Sansa, Arya, Bran and Rickon are all Cat's children and Tully's through and through which is some people don't seem to bring up as much and it takes a back seat to their Stark parentage.

Because of your post: they look at her as just a Stark as all the kids

People have this rather silly idea about Northern greatness. And then somehow unites that in persons who are so different. Like Ned and Arya, for example. We constantly speak about these children being "at some levels of Starkness", as ridiculous as it sounds. The fact is that there is no some rule to what any of the family represents. Starks, Tullys, Lannisters, Martells, anyone... Members of one family are not carbon copies between themselves.

It depends how it goes down but unless the actess is lying about her season ending ambiguously. I bet she flees Winterfell to join Brienne and Pod on a quest to find Rickon next year.

I think this is likely. Rickon is still far too young to rule in his own right so Sansa would have to step in anyway. Plus she's still in line to inherit House Bolton regardless of whether she stays at Winterfell for the moment. I would love to see her go in search of Rickon, get her own northern army and take her castle back without the help of Stannis. Plus this story would forstall any confrontation between Brieanne and Stannis. I never thought, given how much she wants to kill him, Brieanne would really be all that enthusiastic about taking Sansa to Stannis if she wants to keep Sansa safe.

Because of your post: they look at her as just a Stark as all the kids

People have this rather silly idea about Northern greatness. And then somehow unites that in persons who are so different. Like Ned and Arya, for example. We constantly speak about these children being "at some levels of Starkness", as ridiculous as it sounds. The fact is that there is no some rule to what any of the family represents. Starks, Tullys, Lannisters, Martells, anyone... Members of one family are not carbon copies between themselves.

Which makes my point, everyone looks at her as a Stark which she is but then take her Tully side for granted which she is as well.

The "level of Starkness" doesn't matter here, she is a Stark no matter what, I'm comparing her Stark parentage to how her Tully characteristics are noticed, since it seems the first overtake the latter's, she's both.

"The fact that there is no come rile to what any of the family represents"... seriously? Lets just ignore the sigil's and house words which were built up with 8,000 years of Stark dynasty or 300 years of Targaryen Rule in their corresponding houses. Of course every family will be united by some common denominator even as different as they might be from one another as individuals. No one mentioned a carbon copy.

"The fact that there is no come rile to what any of the family represents"... seriously? Lets just ignore the sigil's and house words which were built up with 8,000 years of Stark dynasty or 300 years of Targaryen Rule in their corresponding houses. Of course every family will be united by some common denominator even as different as they might be from one another as individuals. No one mentioned a carbon copy.

Ned, as early in AGOT, told us that he is nothing like the Starks of old. So, if we take Ned as the model of perfect Stark, than all those Kings in the Norths, per Ned's words, are NOT perfect Starks. Than we have Brandon, who was so different than Ned that the only comparison we have is Sansa-Arya dynamic. Targaryen family tree has been blossoming in all aspects and there have been so many different personalities and rulers that it is also pointless trying to pinpoint what they are all about.

With all due respect, when I have seen that video, all I was able to think was "do these guys know what they actually talk about?"

But, I am glad that they believe that constant rapes are so easily overcome... It is like they are not even trying.

Her height is 175cm. Now, you Americans, convert that for yourselves :)

I agree, the rapes of Sansa seem even more unnecessary unless it was meant to push her to some conclusions and give her other consequences that you have asked us not to engage in on this thread. However, it is evident to me that Sansa will seeminlgy not have a prince charming in her life. IT strikes me that everything she longed for and rejected in her earliest years have been turned backwards and like others have said, is her arc. Traumatic as all hell.

I loved the scene. My favorite Sansa scene this series. It took all the misery before to give this girl one glimmer of hope that began last show when she found out Jon was Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. I know the funnest thing about the series is trying to predict who will sit on the Iron Throne on the end, but in reality, I think this long, long journey is just a story about the Stark family being torn apart and how they reunite. In my mind, the final scene is the surviving Stark children (including Jon) just sitting around eating dinner with the direwolves as the statues of Ned, Robb and Cat look over them. It began with the Starks being separated. It should end with them reunited.

I loved the scene. My favorite Sansa scene this series. It took all the misery before to give this girl one glimmer of hope that began last show when she found out Jon was Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. I know the funnest thing about the series is trying to predict who will sit on the Iron Throne on the end, but in reality, I think this long, long journey is just a story about the Stark family being torn apart and how they reunite. In my mind, the final scene is the surviving Stark children (including Jon) just sitting around eating dinner with the direwolves as the statues of Ned, Robb and Cat look over them. It began with the Starks being separated. It should end with them reunited.

Whoever is left and is not imprisoned or sentenced to death by Dany.

As much as I hate this shitty storyline, I doubt it's the last we see of Sansa and Theon. Alfie said their relationship "blooms" in an interview, remember. (Ugghhh)

Also remember seeing in a behind the scenes video, Sansa is in a Tully/Stark clothing with a hood walking at a fast pace in Winterfell's courtyard. Pretty sure it wasn't an earlier scene since Sansa wasn't in her goth empowerment outfit.

As much as I hate this shitty storyline, I doubt it's the last we see of Sansa and Theon. Alfie said their relationship "blooms" in an interview, remember. (Ugghhh)

Also remember seeing in a behind the scenes video, Sansa is in a Tully/Stark clothing with a hood walking at a fast pace in Winterfell's courtyard. Pretty sure it wasn't an earlier scene since Sansa wasn't in her goth empowerment outfit.

Theon has access to keys. He can get Sansa out of her room during the day and she would have to wear a hood. That and Ramsay is possibly already gone away to attack Stannis's camp. Sansa needs to do some "House Cleaning".

Theon has access to keys. He can get Sansa out of her room during the day and she would have to wear a hood. That and Ramsay is possibly already gone away to attack Stannis's camp. Sansa needs to do some "House Cleaning".

Could be. If they were escaping they wouldn't do it by walking lazily disguised in the courtyard. But then again, this show..

Could be. If they were escaping they wouldn't do it by walking lazily disguised in the courtyard. But then again, this show..

To expand upon what they may be up to. As long as Ramsay believes that Theon is dead and he is now Reek, his servant, he would never expect Reek to unlock his wife during the day, therefore he will look to other people as possible purpetraitors of mischief, Myranda. Roose may think Ramsay guilty too, turn father against son and vice versa. I think Walda dies very soon.

To expand upon what they may be up to. As long as Ramsay believes that Theon is dead and he is now Reek, his servant, he would never expect Reek to unlock his wife during the day, therefore he will look to other people as possible purpetraitors of mischief, Myranda. Roose may think Ramsay guilty too, turn father against son and vice versa. I think Walda dies very soon.

And most likely there will be more innocent people hurt by the Boltons other than Sansa by the time this season is over. Michael McElhatton commented that they do terrible things to lovely people so Walda, Shireen are all to be considered.

Archived