Nemesis Games by James SA Corey [SPOILERS]

Xray the Enforcer

• 2 months later...

So the thread in Ent has me reflecting on bits from all the novels that have got me in the feels, and one of the things I really really loved in Nemesis Games was Naomi remembering Sam and getting sad about it.  I was super upset/angry when Sam got killed back in Abaddon's Gate and I think it's the first time that I've really seen that sense of loss and mourning carried over such a long time scale by a character.  It was a great inclusion both for the mood and for Naomi, and really elevates the depiction of female friendship above what you see elsewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll make a note of it. 

See that you do.

:D 

ETA:  Since you're here... Just thought I'd remind you about the wonderful book signings put on by JoeBeth Booksellers in Lexington.  You know... If you decide to go east of the Mississippi for either Babylon's Ashes or Widow's House!  :thumbsup:

I'll make a note of it. 

This was unexpected.

I loved Nemesis Games, my favorite book in the series, because it almost completely develops the characters. While I liked the other books (loved the first two actually) I was a bit disappointed that the characters don't develop much (to not say all), from the first book to the fourth one. We don't know more for them by the end of fourth book, than we did on the first one.

The fifth book fixed that (IMO), so hoping that you'll continue giving more screen to character development.

Just finished reading all of them after getting them last week. 

Nemesis Games definitely is my favorite after Leviathan Wakes. Having all the main group be the PoVs helps tighten tension considerably, and the stakes really got raised. Much like LW I felt that the antagonists in this one were far more competent and clever, and that made things work significantly better for me. 

This, IMO, was one of the reasons that LW really works well - at the end, characters have paid a cost. Holden is potentially riddled with tumors for his life. Miller dies. We haven't seen the main characters really pay a permanent price for a while now. 

I was a bit surprised with the mention of yuan as currency; did yuan show up in any of the previous books? I was expecting more Chinese references throughout (words, characters, culture) and was pleasantly surprised to see it in NG, but also surprised it wasn't in the prior novels nearly as much. 

It did feel a bit like the obliteration of the Earth was somewhat buried as a lede. I know that a quarter billion people dead is too big a number...but it's a crazy number. I don't know how any human could look at that level of devastation and cheer, belter or otherwise. It's one thing to attack Ceres or Tycho; it's another to turn the Earth into a world of volcanic winter and tsunamic devastation. I kept thinking how virtually everyone banded together when seeing the images of the world trade center; I can't imagine seeing clear images of the Earth changing its environment like that would make people not angry or upset. The whole system banded together to save Mei; how does anyone reasonably support the Free Navy now?

This was unexpected.
I loved Nemesis Games, my favorite book in the series, because it almost completely develops the characters. While I liked the other books (loved the first two actually) I was a bit disappointed that the characters don't develop much (to not say all), from the first book to the fourth one. We don't know more for them by the end of fourth book, than we did on the first one.

The fifth book fixed that (IMO), so hoping that you'll continue giving more screen to character development.

If you think that that's the case, you should probably read them again and try to pay more attention this time.

If you think that that's the case, you should probably read them again and try to pay more attention this time.

I might have been exaggerating but really, I don't think that there was much character development of the main characters in book 2 (which has an awesome plot, tbf), book 3 and book 4. Nemesis Games fixes it though, considering that around half of the book deals only with the characters (and their past), rather than explosives. 

I might have been exaggerating but really, I don't think that there was much character development of the main characters in book 2 (which has an awesome plot, tbf), book 3 and book 4. Nemesis Games fixes it though, considering that around half of the book deals only with the characters (and their past), rather than explosives. 

How is revealing the past character development?

I think Holden grew up quite a bit from 1-3. Just committing to one relationship was fairly huge for him, methinks. His "shoot from the hip" media interaction has been tempered somewhat by circumstance. I think it's a fair criticism regarding say Alex and Amos, as you don't get a lot of POV directly from their heads until Nemesis Games. Seems like Holden and Naomi got the lion's share of that over the first three books, plus you had secondary characters like Bobbie, Avasarala, and Fred Johnson taking up considerable space.

How is revealing the past character development?

It's related, I think. I mean we never knew just how deep Naomi was into the radicalized Belter movement until this last book. It helps fill in the blanks regarding her motivations and interactions with other characters. Same with The Churn short story/novella for Amos. I recommend that one highly among the novellas.

I guess. To me, holdens willingness to kill people and not be as open as he has - as well as his ability to forgive - have changed a lot. Naomi and her connection with Sam was a fair amount of growth too. The holden of book 1 is pretty different than 5.

I guess. To me, holdens willingness to kill people and not be as open as he has - as well as his ability to forgive - have changed a lot. Naomi and her connection with Sam was a fair amount of growth too. The holden of book 1 is pretty different than 5.

Absolutely, but both Holden (and Naomi to a lesser degree) were given more facetime (or POV time, I spose) up until the last novel. We got a closer look at Amos and Alex this time around. I guess that's what Revanchrist is complaining about. I think Nemesis Games went a long way in closing that gap between the crewmembers' character development.

Absolutely, but both Holden (and Naomi to a lesser degree) were given more facetime (or POV time, I spose) up until the last novel. We got a closer look at Amos and Alex this time around. I guess that's what Revanchrist is complaining about. I think Nemesis Games went a long way in closing that gap between the crewmembers' character development.

Yep. Sure Holden developed during the books, but that is over 2000+ pages, when more than 1/4 of it is given from his POV.

On the other side, you have Amos and Alex who are as generic as a character can be and they didn't change a bit during those books. Naomi, a bit but still she is mostly the same person from the beginning.

For a book, that has a low number of characters, I was disappointed that they weren't more fleshed out until the fifth book. No one is expecting an ASOIAF where every minor character has a past and is fleshed like he was real, but still I want to know more about Amos than him just being the generic brute we have seen in many books, shows, games and movies.

In that aspect, I think that Nemesis Games became my favorite, cause for the entire first half dealt with characters rather than fast development of the plot. I liked the plot of Caliban's War more, but NG is in my opinion the best book there all things considered.

For a book, that has a low number of characters, I was disappointed that they weren't more fleshed out until the fifth book. No one is expecting an ASOIAF where every minor character has a past and is fleshed like he was real, but still I want to know more about Amos than him just being the generic brute we have seen in many books, shows, games and movies.

In that aspect, I think that Nemesis Games became my favorite, cause for the entire first half dealt with characters rather than fast development of the plot. I liked the plot of Caliban's War more, but NG is in my opinion the best book there all things considered.

Yeah, I'd have to agree. I think Nemesis Games might just be my favorite. 

If you like Amos check out The Churn. My only complaint is that it was so short. Very cool Amos origin story, more or less. Good stuff, Maynard.

Archived