Nemesis Games by James SA Corey [SPOILERS]

Xray the Enforcer

12 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Damn, I can never keep up with these things.  So from what y'all are implying, the new terrible thing is reading books from libraries.  Last week piracy, this week libraries.  Got it.  I'm suuuuuuuper sorry for having enjoyed a book series so much that I'm bummed the release date was delayed.  I guess I'm also sorry for having found it entertaining enough that I became directly responsible for at least several dozen sales.  I'll refrain from doing that again since so many of those sales were to two large library systems that didn't have any of the books until I put in an order request.  But point taken, libraries are evil, or something.

Dr.P,

I'm not implying anything.  Your initial post reacting to learning of a delay sounded (as you acknowledge in your follow on) like sour grapes.  I think your choice to check out of the library makes perfect sense as you explained it in your follow on post.

The delay gives me a little while longer to ponder whether I buy paper/ebook or audiobook. Have to say that the narrator (Jefferson Mays) for Nemesis Games did a great job and it didn't lose anything from me not filling in voices in my head. Plus I get through the audiobooks quicker and can partake in discussion here more quickly. Price and release date will be key but I think audiobooks come out at the same time these days (which usually surprises me given someone has to read the whole thing out first).

Given Daniel's track record of 1-2 books a year I don't have a problem with this one being a little later. They still come out more often than many authors I follow.

I wonder if the series has seen an uptick in sales since the show aired? I hope so.

11 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Damn, I can never keep up with these things.  So from what y'all are implying, the new terrible thing is reading books from libraries.  Last week piracy, this week libraries.  Got it.  I'm suuuuuuuper sorry for having enjoyed a book series so much that I'm bummed the release date was delayed.  I guess I'm also sorry for having found it entertaining enough that I became directly responsible for at least several dozen sales.  I'll refrain from doing that again since so many of those sales were to two large library systems that didn't have any of the books until I put in an order request.  But point taken, libraries are evil, or something.

Yeah, punish those authors for daring to take care to put out a quality product!  That's the spirit! 

On 6/17/2016 at 4:39 PM, DanielAbraham said:

I'm grateful that for your reading it in whatever venue works for you, and we'll try to keep a tighter schedule next time.

Send her an ARC!

Do it. Do it. Dooooooo iiiiit!

:)

So, I finally read Vital Abyss, and liked it well enough.

Are there more alert readers than be that can point out any small connections I’ve missed? Have any of the characters made an appearance in the main novels? Even small characters (such as the two unnamed belters beating up the main character)?

I really didn't like the POV character in Vital Abyss so maybe I didn't read it as closely as I should have.  The main thing I found myself doing was trying to connect the visits from the "outside" with events that were happening off-camera.  In the run up to BA I plan on re-reading everything over again.  I personally didn't notice anything notable in the tiny details.  It did answer a lingering question I had about how the scientists could possibly rationalize their experiments.

I liked the depressing description of Earth society and the tidbits about higher education and research a lot. 

I’m a research scientist myself. It rings pretty true. Good job, Corey-collective, I assume you either have some personal experiences from grad school or talked to people. I would have like to see a bit more about scientific publication, because in the insanely stressful period between your research degree and landing a good postdoc, you obsess about your current publications: are they in good venues, do they receive references, etc. In the mildly extrapolated future of the Expanse, the publication pipeline is probably sped up a lot (publication is instantaneous), but your value is still constructed by the number and quality of other researchers that pay attention to your work. What does not happen is that you sit on your couch and wait for somebody to magically discover you.

How would Protogen even have found our protagonist? That part is easy to rationalise: wide-spread psychological profiling gives Protogen a meaty database of recent graduates. Cortazar fits the profile of very high intelligence, expertise in nanoinformatics, and plausible susceptibility to the Protogen drugs that repress empathy. 

59 minutes ago, DanielAbraham said:

Michio Pa isn't the Martian, though she is working with him.   The Martian was male. "He was pale skinned with nut-brown hair and bad skin, and he wore the familiar uniform of the Martian Congressional Republic Navy."

You have seen the Martian before.

Mr. Abraham,

Will y'all ever publish "the Expanse" short stories in a physical paper edition?

4 hours ago, DanielAbraham said:

Yes, we plan to.  We just need to write enough of them to make it a decent sized book.

16 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

When you publish it I'll be buying it.  :)

Make that two of us.  Keep writing!  I'm falling behind these e-reader using hipsters.

Excited about this one, and also excited that this series actually releases books in a somewhat timely fashion. For some reason I thought the book had been pushed back to 2017, so November means it's coming out early for me :)

Archived