Who was a ''better person'': Brynden Rivers or Tywin Lannister?

Let's for fun compare these two men, it might not be so easy because they lived on different times, but who was a ''better'' person of these two in your opinion? Both were hard to their enemies, but I would still Say Bloodraven, because he had some unforgiving qualities and seemed to have a nicer personality to other people than Tywin, this might of course be because that he was a bastard. Bloodraven did a long carrier in nights watch, if Robert had send Tywin there I think Tywin had resisted and started a rebellion.

Discuss :)

E. And yes I know that Tywin and Bloodraven have really different backgrounds, Tywin being heir to a powerful house and Bloodraven gaining power after legitimization.

Tywin's motives were more selfish (his family's aggrandizement) while BR was thinking of the stability of the realm. At least BR never killed any young children compared to Tywin who has no qualms about killing infants.  

Tywin's motives were more selfish (his family's aggrandizement) while BR was thinking of the stability of the realm. At least BR never killed any young children compared to Tywin who has no qualms about killing infants.  

Gah! Bloodraven's interested for the realm is about the fact that his family ruled the realm! If Blackfyre had taken the throne and Bloodraven survived you can be sure that Bloodraven would be all over trying to raise hell against the Iron Throne to place his favorites in the top.

Tywin is noted to have served the realm well for twenty years when the Targaryen king was ready to fuck it over to get a one-up on his own friend for the crime of being better than him.

Bloodraven might not have killed children, but he certainly had no problem to invite people under peace banner and then kill them and break his word. Not to mention that I wouldn't be suprised if he was involved in killing Haegon Blackfyre after he had surrendered.

Bloodraven is the better person, and it isn't even close. After he breaks up the tournament in the mystery knight, he remarks that the knights and men at arms will get off lightly enough; they were just following their lords. That's the difference between the two of them. Bloodraven kills his enemies, Tywin kills his enemies and anyone in the way and has never shown the slightest sympathy for the ordinary people caught up in the game.

Didn't BR accept what he did and went to the Wall? Tywin keep making excuses.

It was kind of hard to say he didn't do it when he made an official invitation and then presented the head to the great council as a warning. His defense was the same as Tywin's for killing the the Targaryen kids "For the realm!".

Gah! Bloodraven's interested for the realm is about the fact that his family ruled the realm! If Blackfyre had taken the throne and Bloodraven survived you can be sure that Bloodraven would be all over trying to raise hell against the Iron Throne to place his favorites in the top.

You know he was still alive when Robert's Rebellion, right? He never did anything "to raise hell" against the usurper Robert.

Didn't BR accept what he did and went to the Wall? Tywin keep making excuses.

Yes, here we go.

The first act of Aegon's reign was the arrest of Brynden Rivers, the King's Hand, for the murder of Aenys Blackfyre. Bloodraven did not deny that he had lured the pretender into his power by the offer of a safe conduct, but contended that he had sacrificed his own personal honor for the good of the realm.

Though many agreed, and were pleased to see another Blackfyre pretender removed, King Aegon felt he had no choice but to condemn the Hand, lest the word of the Iron Throne be seen as worthless. Yet after the sentence of death was pronounced, Aegon offered Bloodraven the chance to take the black and join the Night's Watch. This he did. Ser Brynden Rivers set sail for the Wall late in the year of 233 AC. (No one intercepted his ship). Two hundred men went with him, many of them archers from Bloodraven's personal guard, the Raven's Teeth. The king's brother, Maester Aemon, was also amongst them.

Yes, he was going to be beheaded and at the last minute was given the choice to go to the Wall which he took.  ...and now, here we are.

Well, no one wants to die :dunno:

But, my point is that he knew he did wrong, despite he did it for the Realm. That's the main difference between him and tywin.

You know he was still alive when Robert's Rebellion, right? He never did anything "to raise hell" against the usurper Robert.

I used a poor choice of words. I'm talking about the highely political Brynden who was fighting the Blackfyres, not the "weirnet-admin-up-in-the-north"-Brynden

Everything Bloodraven did was to protect the realm. Tywin is just a pathetic, petty loser. Everything Tywin does is about his family's reputation.

And he should be respect for it. i just don't see why him advancing the agenda of his House is better than Tywin doing the same.

Well, if you believe some of the theories around here, Bloodraven's warged everyone from Ned Stark to Hot Pie's mom. So who knows :P

Also, he had disappeared beyond the wall for over 30 years by that point. The example Lion of the West gave makes a lot more sense than him coming thousands of miles south to raise hell in a political game he'd presumably given up.

That all being said, they're both monstrous shitheads.

Well, no one wants to die :dunno:

But, my point is that he knew he did wrong, despite he did it for the Realm. That's the main difference between him and tywin.

Your point is well taken.  Tywin did everything to advance his house and family.  It was always of the utmost importance to him especially after Joanna died.  He promised Cersei would be queen and if he couldn't get to that Iron Throne himself, he would take the next best thing.  He probably couldn't stand it that Ned Stark stared down Jaime when he sat on the IT after killing Aerys.  Tywin would have taken the crown from Aerys corpse, shoved Jaime off the throne and started peeling an orange while glaring at Ned Stark and asking him to get his horse the hell out of his throne room.

Archived