Will Asshai be the setting for the final Daenerys chapters?

tallTale

Obviously Asshai is important.

• Melisandre is from Asshai
  • Mirri Maz Duur is from there(the maegi who sort of helped Dany get her dragons)
  • We know it's close to the Shadow Lands
  • The mysterious Maester Marwyn is there
  • Jorah tells Dany 3 damn times to go there simply for a boat ride to Pentos? - extremely fishy
  • Quaithe tells dany to go there do find her answers
  • Euron recently went there 

I wonder what she will eventually discover in Asshai.

I would agree that Asshai is 'significant'. I don't know if Dany going there is relative to the story of Ice and Fire though.

Obviously Asshai is important.

• Jorah tells dany in the GoT chapters 3 damn times to go there simply for a boat to head to Pentos? - extremely fishy
  • Quaithe tells dany to go there do find her answers

I'm not sure what Jorah's motives were, but I suspect he wanted her to run away with him or visa versa. I mean, there's not an awful lot left in Westeros for Jorah. He left in Disgrace.

As for Quaithe, she's so shrouded in mystery but there's a chance that she too wants to keep Dany from marching West. 

Whilst I was reading, I remember getting the feeling that Quaithe was trying to prevent Dany from trusting anyone at all. When she told her to 'remember who she was' and that the 'glass candles were burning' it was as if she was trying to make Dany paranoid and isolated.

Asshai is just too interesting not to visit.  Perhaps if there is ever a sequel to the story, 20 years from now, we may see a middle-aged Dany go to Asshai.  It would make sense to take her human children to Asshai because the city is large but sparsely populated. 

Quaithe never tells Dany to go to Asshai.  I wish we could go to Asshai, but the story would never allow it.  Hopefully it pops up in a vision or dream.

Qaithe does indeed tell her to go there:

To go north, you must journey south. To reach the west, you must go east. To go forward you must go back, and to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow.” 
Asshai, Dany thought. She would have me go to Asshai. “Will the Asshai’i give me an army?” she demanded. “Will there be gold for me in Asshai? Will there be ships? What is there in Asshai that I will not find in Qarth?”
“Truth,” said the woman in the mask. And bowing, she faded back into the crowd.

It makes sense to me since the shortest path to Westeros would be passing all the way east, beneath the shadow lands.

It would also make sense since Jon is likely going to the coldest and most desolate area on the map and of course Dany would then go to the hottest areas. Both final areas being centers for their related skills/ magic/manipulators/trainers.

Qaithe does indeed tell her to go there:

To go north, you must journey south. To reach the west, you must go east. To go forward you must go back, and to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow.” 
Asshai, Dany thought. She would have me go to Asshai. “Will the Asshai’i give me an army?” she demanded. “Will there be gold for me in Asshai? Will there be ships? What is there in Asshai that I will not find in Qarth?”
“Truth,” said the woman in the mask. And bowing, she faded back into the crowd.

It made sense to me that the shortest path to westeros would be passing all the way east, beneath the shadow lands.

It would also make sense since Jon is likely going to the coldest and most desolate area on the map that Dany would go to the hottest areas as well. Both areas are also centers for their related skills/ magic. 

I see how you got there, but Dany is fallible and I think her interpretation of Quaithe's instruction is flawed.   Bran dreams of shadows, Mel births shadows, I mean there is a lot in this.   I'm so unsure of the rules here anymore but I'll risk it and throw it out for you consideration anyway.   Last summer that statement about Dany finding Truth was presented to me in a very different light.   Truth is one of the VS swords with an unknown location.   It belonged to the Rogare family of Lys. Larra Rogare was Aegon The Unworthy's mother.    It may be nothing but I really enjoyed it as a twist.    If you trace Dany's adventures on the interactive map she has just about completed her trip back after going forward.   Point is she has followed most of the directional instructions.   Once she ends up in Vaes Dothrak she will begin the final westward march, at least as I read the lines of her journey.   She's gone every other direction.   To follow your logic about the hot and cold places, take heart that The Red Waste was miserably hot.   

I have the feeling the mystery of Asshai is far more compelling than actually ever seeing the place.

Agreed.

If someone heads there and it turns out magic is the result of midichlorians then we're going to have problems.

Luckily Marwyn can give us a first hand  experience  of Asshai. Probably won't see it.

I've actually been predicting for a while now that Marwyn is bringing one of the citadel's glass candles with him to meet Daenerys, and that he will train her to use it (who better to use one than a Valyrian), and that this is how she will "go to" Asshai to learns Quaithe's dark truths. 

You heard it here first. :)

As for Marwyn bringing a candle with him, think about it and it becomes obvious. You are Marwyn. You have figured out how to use the candles proficiently - you've been keeping an eye on the North and know almost everyone Sam tells you before he tells yoi, and you've been keeping an eye on god knows what else - anything you consider important. You see Daenerys as the potential fulfillment of prophecy and a crucial tool to fight the Others. So, you pick your bags and head across the world to counsel this important Valyrian Dragon Queen.. now, the question is, DO YOU BRING YOUR CANDLE WITH YOU TO ARMAGEDDON?

Of course you do. Of course. The Citadel will never miss them, and if they do, who cares - you're going to help dragon Jesus fight Armageddon or whatever. You bring everything you e got, in particular, the all-seeing magical eye which you alone know how to use. I mean... there's just no way Marwyn leaves that candle at the Citadel. Which means Dany will soon have that candle, and Marwyn to show her how to use it. This way, George can show us more about Asshai without removing all the mystery completely. We don't want people actually sailing into the black harbor and knocking on doors, that would be stupid. A glass candle vision might be just the thing. 

I've actually been predicting for a while now that Marwyn is bringing one of the citadel's glass candles with him to meet Daenerys, and that he will train her to use it (who better to use one than a Valyrian), and that this is how she will "go to" Asshai to learns Quaithe's dark truths. 

You heard it here first. :)

As for Marwyn bringing a candle with him, think about it and it becomes obvious. You are Marwyn. You have figured out how to use the candles proficiently - you've been keeping an eye on the North and know almost everyone Sam tells you before he tells yoi, and you've been keeping an eye on god knows what else - anything you consider important. You see Daenerys as the potential fulfillment of prophecy and a crucial tool to fight the Others. So, you pick your bags and head across the world to counsel this important Valyrian Dragon Queen.. now, the question is, DO YOU BRING YOUR CANDLE WITH YOU TO ARMAGEDDON?

Of course you do. Of course. The Citadel will never miss them, and if they do, who cares - you're going to help dragon Jesus fight Armageddon or whatever. You bring everything you e got, in particular, the all-seeing magical eye which you alone know how to use. I mean... there's just no way Marwyn leaves that candle at the Citadel. Which means Dany will soon have that candle, and Marwyn to show her how to use it. This way, George can show us more about Asshai without removing all the mystery completely. We don't want people actually sailing into the black harbor and knocking on doors, that would be stupid. A glass candle vision might be just the thing. 

I agree that it seems likely that he took a glass candle. The Citadel has four I think. Taking another one but leaving him the one in his chambers will allow him to communicate with Leo, Sarella, and Sam. Also having the glass candle will help him track down Dany. Would be amusing if he meets her in Vaes Dothak. Since the Dothraki will likely be taking her there.

I agree that it seems likely that he took a glass candle. The Citadel has four I think. Taking another one but leaving him the one in his chambers will allow him to communicate with Leo, Sarella, and Sam. Also having the glass candle will help him track down Dany. Would be amusing if he meets her in Vaes Dothak. Since the Dothraki will likely be taking her there.

This is something I am really looking forward to, of all the people Dany will meet next book. Should be exciting. 

This is something I am really looking forward to, of all the people Dany will meet next book. Should be exciting. 

Moreover, I think Marwyn will be the catapult for Dany to burn the Citadel and Oldtown whenever she arrives in Westeros. He probably is aware of Maesters' Conspiracy against magic and dragons and he is clearly not that loyal to the Citadel from the text we have read.

Moreover, I think Marwyn will be the catapult for Dany to burn the Citadel and Oldtown whenever she arrives in Westeros. He probably is aware of Maesters' Conspiracy against magic and dragons and he is clearly not that loyal to the Citadel from the text we have read.

Possibly. Dany is known as the "Breaker of Chains" and the maesters all wear a chain necklace, it's basically their sigil.

That's interesting... I have speculated that Dany is replaying the actions of Azor Ahai, who I believe to be the Bloodstone Emperor, and will therefore invade Westeros at Oldtown. It's kind of a long story, but basically I see Azor Ahai as an evil dragonlord from Asshai who came to Westeros at Battle Isle, the place where we find the pre-Valyrian fused stone fortress. I think that fortress is solid evidence of dragonlord presence in Westeros in the Dawn Age, which is when all this sh*t went down. Dany invading and burning Oldtown is perfect. I believe Battle Isle is named for this battle against invading Azor Ahai, and was essentially the first battle in the War for the Dawn. If we see the same pattern again I won't be surprised.

I belies the Daynes to be descended from these Dawn Age dragonlords, and there was a Dayne - Samwell the Starfire - who sacked and burned Oldtown, another kind of historical precedent which Dany will be possibly replaying. 

Archived