College Basketball 2016: Wide Open on the Way to March

Rhom

55 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

If we want to win the conference outright, we have to win in Norman.  But even with a loss on Saturday, I feel confident about a share of the title, because all of the top teams in the league will lose at least one more game.

KU's remaining schedule is much more difficult. They aren't winning out after the OU game.

38 minutes ago, sperry said:

KU's remaining schedule is much more difficult. They aren't winning out after the OU game.

Then OU's?  It doesn't look like it to me (and definitely not "much," maybe "ever so slightly" because we still have to play ISU again).  After Saturday our toughest games are at Baylor and at Texas, yours are at WVU and at Texas, and I don't think that game at Baylor is that scary at all.  West Virginia looks to have the easiest remaining schedule, but their poor shooting and high foul rate makes them prime for a loss at any away game. 

11 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Then OU's?  It doesn't look like it to me (and definitely not "much," maybe "ever so slightly" because we still have to play ISU again).  After Saturday our toughest games are at Baylor and at Texas, yours are at WVU and at Texas, and I don't think that game at Baylor is that scary at all.  West Virginia looks to have the easiest remaining schedule, but their poor shooting and high foul rate makes them prime for a loss at any away game. 

I meant factoring in the OU game, which is most likely a loss given home court advantage in the Big XII being so outrageous.

14 hours ago, Ded As Ned said:

Laettner.  The one atrocity on the original dream team (and the only member not in the hall of fame, I'll point out.  Picked over the likes of Shaq and Alonzo Morning).  

I don't know of anyone except maybe his mother who knows he had no place on that team.  it's one thing to be the last guy on the bench on an all time team, but I think they made him sit in the first row because he was so out of his league.

11 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

There are only 3 remaining games on WVU's schedule that I'm comfortable putting into the 'should win' category.  Those are TCU in Morgantown this Saturday, @ Oklahoma State, and TTU in Morgantown.  And TTU will be tough.  

Other than that @ Texas (I will be in attendance!) is definitely a potential loss.  They are so far the only team to beat us in Morgantown and they've been hitting their stride lately.  There's real risk that the Longhorns could sweep WVU.  

Still have another game against OU.  After the game in Norman I was pretty confident that we will beat them with home court advantage, but who knows.  OU is still a great team and would not be surprised to see them win.  

Also have ISU coming to Morgantown, a little less scared of this one, especially if they remain sans McKay, but they aren't to be overlooked.  

And finally we end the season with @ Baylor (may try to go to this game as well).   A team we manhandled in Morgantown, but have a 2-7 overall record against.  Can't just chalk up road wins against teams that have owned you the last couple years.  They have been the worst match-up for the Mountaineers since we joined the Big XII and the recent victory was sweet, but not necesarily an indication that the tables have turned.  

With our 7 remaining games, 7-0 is certainly possible but I am expecting something more like 5-2, with 4-3 a distinct possibility.

26 minutes ago, Greywolf2375 said:

I don't know of anyone except maybe his mother who knows he had no place on that team.  it's one thing to be the last guy on the bench on an all time team, but I think they made him sit in the first row because he was so out of his league.

Eh.  I understood he was on there as a boon to those who wanted us to keep sending college kids.  :dunno: 

In other news.  Indiana is already planning to hang a banner after beating the mighty Iowa Hawkeye juggernaut last night.

Former UK player Cameron Mills had this post on his website about Tyler Ulis:

coaches ask for a 3:1 assist/TO ratio from their PG's, though few ever get it.
For example let's look at some Assist/TO ratio's of some other great Kentucky PG's.

Anthony Epps - 2.8/1
Kyle Macy - 2.4/1
Travis Ford - 1.7/1
Marquis Teague - 1.7/1
Ryan Harrow 1.7/1
Andrew Harrison - 1.7/1
Wayne Turner - 1.6/1
John Wall - 1.6/1
Brandon Knight - 1.2/1

Currently Tyler Ulis' A/TO ratio for this season is 3.5/1 and more amazingly, if you look at the list above, his career ratio is 3.45/1.

And In his last four games Tyler Ulis has 36 assists to just four turnovers.
That's a laughable 9/1 ratio.
That's truly ridiculous and I would have thought unattainable for more than one game let alone four.

There has been a lot of talk about where Tyler ranks in greatest PG's in Kentucky's history. Well, judging from this singular stat alone he's not only the best, it's not even close.

That's absolutely insane.  UK's sports information department tweeted out:

Ulis is currently averaging 6.7 assists. No player in school history has averaged that much in a single season w/a minimum of 100 assists.

Not bad for a kid who was basically the consolation prize when Emmanual Mudiay decided to play for Larry Brown.  :stunned:  That miss may wind up being the biggest recruiting "get" of Calipari's time at UK!!!

On ‎02‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:38 AM, Rhom said:

Eh.  I understood he was on there as a boon to those who wanted us to keep sending college kids.  :dunno: 

In other news.  Indiana is already planning to hang a banner after beating the mighty Iowa Hawkeye juggernaut last night.

Oh, that was entirely why there was a college student and why it was him, the "face" of college ball.

In the 4:30 Duke - VA game...yeah, he travelled.  Amazed they were able to hang around in that game to have a shot at the final shot...next is the grudge match on Weds at the Dean Dome.

2 hours ago, Greywolf2375 said:

And all is becoming right in the college basketball world again.

Does no one want a top 5 ranking this year?  Is it now over 30 teams in the top 5 to lose to an unranked opponent?

Big win. :cheers: 

I know that Daggum Roy has been getting crushed for not calling a time out, but I think it was the right move for his team.  Push the ball, get to the rim, hope for the friendly home whistle.

Just didn't work this time.

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

I know that Daggum Roy has been getting crushed for not calling a time out, but I think it was the right move for his team.  Push the ball, get to the rim, hope for the friendly home whistle.

Agreed, if they'd gotten the shot off and got the bounce like Duke did against VA or get a call they are being praised for being aggressive and taking it to them.

Should make for an interesting game in a few weeks back in Cameron.

8 hours ago, Rhom said:

Plus the secondary break is the key to his entire offensive philosophy, meaning that the TO would normally work to the defense's advantage more than otherwise.

Archived