College Basketball 2016: Wide Open on the Way to March

Rhom

Did you see the story on UW-Green Bay's play by play announcer being ejected by Pat Adams from a Horizon League tournament game?

The link has the audio of the actual confrontation and it's as ridiculous as all the original accounts made it out to be.  Just another example among many this season of refs trying to make themselves the story.

35 minutes ago, S John said:

Work should just be cancelled this time of year.

Indeed.  I'm lobbying for the Monday after Selection Sunday at the least.

I need time to evaluate the bracket!

I can't believe nobody A hit that softball I lobbed yesterday. How long until Boeheim retires? DEPENDS bah dump ump.

1 hour ago, S John said:

:agree: It really sucks being self employed and not having paid vacation, otherwise I would not be working next week (at least Thursday-Saturday). Even today sucks because I'm sure the KU game has started, but I'm the kind of guy that avoids the score and dvrs it. So this is my last peek into this thread for the next eight hours (I think I started this post 2 hours ago, and very slowly typed it between patients, so the KU game might be beating the end of the second half by now).

2 hours ago, S John said:

Working 3rd shift comes in handy this time of year. Uconn starts their run to the tourney tomorrow. A 3rd loss to Cinci and the NIT it is. Just win you idiots.

19 hours ago, Rhom said:

Indeed.  I'm lobbying for the Monday after Selection Sunday at the least.

I need time to evaluate the bracket!

Can't you just close the office that day?  

The first round Thurs-Friday is always the worst for me.  At least we can get ESPN radio here at work. (slightly better than frantically refreshing webpages to update scores, which I'll still be doing).  

I could shut it down, but as has been the case the last few years I am headed to Nashville for a Rotary thing Thursday through Sunday.  The good news is that most of the meetings that I need to attend are Thursday afternoon and then Friday morning.  So I can spend all Friday afternoon and basically all day Saturday watching games from my hotel.  I really enjoy it.

Tyler Ullis going pro lol. Cal is going to have to get some 4 year players in his program or it's just not going to work for him.  There is too much competition for the top 1 and done guys for him to just reload super teams every year.

Its been a while...

George Washington did not end up having the dream season that it looked like they might when they started 10-1 and had that win over Virginia. Season went okay, but they are definitely only a bubble team right now. And unless they go deep in the A-10 tournament, they aren't making it. But they won yesterday and got a quarter-finals match against St. Joe's this afternoon. I think they gotta at least make the finals to get to the dance though. Be easiest if they managed to win it all though and just take the auto-bid.

Buffalo is of course only getting in if they get the MAC's auto-bid. They also only ended up only having an okay season, but they did do well enough to get a 3-seed in the MAC tournament, which gave them a 2-round bye to the quarterfinals. The QFs games were yesterday, and Buffalo got a good win; so they've got a semi-finals game against tonight and its certainly a winnable game.

Bottom line, Buffalo needs 2 more wins to make the dance, and GW probably needs 2 more wins as well. I'm not counting on either team actually making it, but it sure is nice to think about.

21 minutes ago, sperry said:

Tyler Ullis going pro lol. Cal is going to have to get some 4 year players in his program or it's just not going to work for him.  There is too much competition for the top 1 and done guys for him to just reload super teams every year.

:rolleyes:

Poythress is a senior this year, next year Lee, Willis, Hawkins, and Mulder will be seniors (all with 4 years under Cal except Mulder who is a transfer).  Humphries, Wynyard (redshirting), and Briscoe will also be back.  As to recruiting top talent, I'm not very concerned.  :smoking:

It's also not certain if Ulis will go (unless you listen to Cal), but it's probably his best bet.  Next year he'd have to share minutes with Fox.

2 hours ago, sperry said:

4 Final Fours and 1 Title in six years... I'm fairly certain that the only regular poster on this thread that might not trade that level of success since 2010 would be Greywolf and his Blue Devils' two titles.  :dunno:  Next year's "super team" will be just fine as well.

Even last year when we were wringing our hands about Brown, Swanigan, Zimmerman, and Newman going elsewhere; Calipari reeled in Jamal Murray and now has a team that has as good a chance as almost anyone when the big tourney starts this week.  (But admittedly could also lose in the second round.)

As to Ulis, when Cal recruited him most people seemed to think he was getting a "nice four year player" but there was a great interview I read with Ulis before this season where he said that when Cal came to his house he told him "Look, if you're wanting to go to school with the plan of spending four years; don't come here... we're chasing dreams."  Ulis' response was "Good, I'm tired of hearing that shit."  The kid is full of confidence and has a chip on his shoulder the size of his Chicago hometown.  Any team late in the first round would be well advised to take him instead of some project from overseas that may or may not ever see the floor.  I can only imagine how much better Cleveland would be with Ulis running point either on the second unit or sliding Irving over. 

ETA:  I also think that you're going to see more "consolidation" of talent in the next few years as other elite recruits see that the guys who chose to go somewhere other than Kansas, Duke, or Kentucky faded into obscurity. 

57 minutes ago, Rhom said:

4 Final Fours and 1 Title in six years... I'm fairly certain that the only regular poster on this thread that might not trade that level of success since 2010 would be Greywolf and his Blue Devils' two titles.  :dunno:  Next year's "super team" will be just fine as well.

Even last year when we were wringing our hands about Brown, Swanigan, Zimmerman, and Newman going elsewhere; Calipari reeled in Jamal Murray and now has a team that has as good a chance as almost anyone when the big tourney starts this week.  (But admittedly could also lose in the second round.)

As to Ulis, when Cal recruited him most people seemed to think he was getting a "nice four year player" but there was a great interview I read with Ulis before this season where he said that when Cal came to his house he told him "Look, if you're wanting to go to school with the plan of spending four years; don't come here... we're chasing dreams."  Ulis' response was "Good, I'm tired of hearing that shit."  The kid is full of confidence and has a chip on his shoulder the size of his Chicago hometown.  Any team late in the first round would be well advised to take him instead of some project from overseas that may or may not ever see the floor.  I can only imagine how much better Cleveland would be with Ulis running point either on the second unit or sliding Irving over. 

ETA:  I also think that you're going to see more "consolidation" of talent in the next few years as other elite recruits see that the guys who chose to go somewhere other than Kansas, Duke, or Kentucky faded into obscurity. 

This is not the same landscape as it was even 2 years ago.  Kentucky showed the rest of the world that the one and done players are a benefit not a hindrance.  The competition for those players has gone up.  I wouldn't exactly point to Poythress and Lee, since they're both guys that made huge mistakes by coming back to school.

And Ullis won't be sharing time with anybody if he returns.

58 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I'll take Uconn's two titles over this. :D

Cinci is killing us again right now. This year sucks.

7 minutes ago, sperry said:

This is not the same landscape as it was even 2 years ago.  Kentucky showed the rest of the world that the one and done players are a benefit not a hindrance.  The competition for those players has gone up.  I wouldn't exactly point to Poythress and Lee, since they're both guys that made huge mistakes by coming back to school.

Poythress definitely.  He's the textbook example of "strike while the iron is hot."  Lee... eh... maybe he could have capitalized on his big showing against Michigan in the 2014 tourney.

You are correct that its gone up.  However, because more schools adopted the practice... they are also seeing that it isn't as easy as it looks.  Simmons wasn't exactly on a talent devoid team down there on the Bayou.  Blakeney is as talented as nearly anyone in the country.  Malik Newman at Mississppi State also largely disappeared.  Stephen Zimmerman went to UNLV only to see his coach fired mid-season.  Even Coach K is discovering that reloading isn't as easy as it appears.

I think what you're going to see is a lot of the talent begin to take heed of what Jay Bilas recently said about Ben Simmons.

“The funny part about this is it’s fair to ask of Ben Simmons, why doesn’t he win more? Why wasn’t he able to take his team to the NCAA Tournament? I don’t put all the blame on him, all the responsibility on him,” Bilas said, pointing out that Simmons is averaging over 20 points, 11 rebounds, and 5 assists, which are unprecedented numbers.

“I think some of what this is doing, if you want to call it the Ben Simmons bashing a little bit, some of what this is doing is really signaling to the next Ben Simmons-type talent, you know, go to Kentucky. Because then you don’t have to listen to people questioning your character and whether you’re a winner. They’re just going to talk about your talent and how good you are because winning isn’t going to be the issue.”

He says "go to Kentucky," but what I really think it means is "go to one of the schools used to handling top talent."

Simmons' season has been fine.  But he has definitely taken time off.  Watching LSU v Kentucky last Saturday there were multiple times when I felt he was two steps ahead of where everyone else on the team was on offense.  If he had gone somewhere with similar talent, he wouldn't have to worry about that. 

In the end, yes there is more competition for the one and done talent; but I still think you will see four schools at the top continuing to garner the lion's share of the McD's.

Archived