What is your favourite single chapter?

Thuckey

As the title says.

I really enjoyed Bran III in Dance. Just the descriptions of the abyss and large underwater river and sea and tunnelways beneath the world that go on and on and on were absolutely fascinating to me, top it all off with Bran's first experience in becomming a true greenseer, among other things. There is just so much happening in this chapter that was very interesting and original.

A close second would be Victarion's chapter in Feast labelled "The Reaver".Was full of fast paced action and was very cool to see a POV from a true Greyjoy doing what Greyjoys do best at sea. Hope to see more like that.

How bout yall?

Tyrion's final chapter during the Battle of the Blackwater. Aside from being a great part of that book's climax, it perfectly captured the chaos of battle and the character's indivudal struggles.

Honorable mention goes to the Red Wedding, which is one of the few things I've ever read tha made me put down a book for several days. Brilliant and brutal work.

AFFC. Chapter 1.  The Prophet.  "The Prophet was drowning men on Great Wyk when they came to tell him that the king was dead.  It was a bleak, cold morning, and the sky was as leaden as the sea.."

I listen to the audiobook of this when I walk the beach.  Spiritual.

1 hour ago, The Mountain That Flies said:

Tyrion's final chapter during the Battle of the Blackwater. Aside from being a great part of that book's climax, it perfectly captured the chaos of battle and the character's indivudal struggles.

Honorable mention goes to the Red Wedding, which is one of the few things I've ever read tha made me put down a book for several days. Brilliant and brutal work.

Actually that's his second-to-last chapter in Game, but I'm glad to see somebody else appreciates that chapter as much as I do. Usually I'm the only one ever mentions it in these threads. 

A bit random, but the chapter I've reread the most is the one with Renly and Stannis' failed parley from Cat's POV in Clash. I don't know, the dialogue there just sizzles, man, and every time I feel the same rage and frustration at these two stubborn idiots who won't set their differences aside to fight a common enemy. And the part that gets me the most is Cat's "Cersei Lannister must be laughing herself breathless" because a couple of chapters earlier Tyrion and Cersei were doing just that indeed (and giving the best toast in the series, by the way).

I actually like a lot of them.

Bran III in Dance, Bran chapter where they are in the Nightfort in Storm.

Last Dany chapter in Game, HOTU chapter in Clash.

Davos chapter in Merman's court and Blackwater.

Ghost of Winterfell and Theon chapter in TWOW

Red Wedding of course. 

Probably Jaime VII in Feast. He's gloriously terrible in putting Sybell in her place while simultaneously being chivalrous to Jeyne. Throughout the whole chapter he seems to be going through a self-evaluation of sorts culminated by his dream of his mother asking who is he. Then we get an answer, or at least the beginning of one, as he has Cersei's letter thrown in the fire. To me that's the moment he fully stepped upon the road to being a better person when he finally realizes how poisonous his relationship with Cersei is and seemingly casts it aside for good.

A Ghost in Winterfell or Theon I in a dance with dragons would be my fav Theon chapter. Another one that comes to mind is Cersei's final chapter in feast, it is absolutly one of my favourites, everyone always talks about her walk of shame chapter which is great as well but I actually prefer the one in feast over that one.

I agree 100% that Bran's final chapter in Dance is just wonderful. It's probably the one chapter in the whole series that most reminds me of reading as a child - it's full of mystery and wonder and creepiness. It's exquisite. A chapter about a tree man teaching a cripple boy to time travel while a bunch of little elf people run about has every chance of being a big lame, cheesy failure; yet through sublime language and atmosphere GRRM somehow gets you to believe.

It's also the series' first real foray into pure all-out fantasy and GRRM pulls off the transition very well. I would honestly struggle to find a better example of pure fantasy writing anywhere. Plus if Jojen paste is true - which it definitely is - it also features a very smart twist.

Other favourites:

Mercy chapter.

Ned's final chapter (I loved all of Ned's chapters).

The one in Clash where Tyrion interrogates Littlefinger, Pycelle, and Varys one by one.

Knights of Summer chapter and the subsequent one where Renly and Stannis meet.

'Edd, Fetch me a block'.

Red Wedding.

And tons of others that I've forgotten.

Sansa's last chapter in ASOS.  It has it all - her longing for winterfell was so poignant, then the increasing tension with SR crushing the castle, creepy finger, furious Lysa...  Sansa almost dying... And then the HUGE reveal that LF was behind it all.  Perfectly crafted.

Davos IV in ASOS.

Davos proves himself with his advice and is named Hand, Stannis grapples with being Azor Ahai and expounds on what it means to be king, we see some of Melisandre's compassionate side, and the campaign shifts from just fighting usurpers to fighting the 'darkness'.

eta: that sounds like a blurb.

lol tempted to say all of Game, Clash, and Storm, as everything is so intertwined that it's hard to divide it up by favorites.

hm...maybe Davos's Blackwater chapter? I love naval battles, and it was great to see Tyrion's defenses work against Stannis's navy, especially as I wanted Davos, Stannis, AND Tyrion to succeed in that battle. What a brilliant set up by Martin.

The red viper vs The mountain and Arya when her and the hound meet Poliver and co I love "the lost lord" as well and of course Jons last chapter in dance. I like all these chapters because there such roller coasters especially Jons last chapter in the beginning its sad "you're false king is dead bastard" then its triumphant "I have my swords I'm coming for you bastard" then the ending back to horribly sad "for the watch" I love it.

4 hours ago, Monkey Man said:

It's also the series' first real foray into pure all-out fantasy and GRRM pulls off the transition very well. I would honestly struggle to find a better example of pure fantasy writing anywhere. Plus if Jojen paste is true - which it definitely is - it also features a very smart twist

Wow. It being my favourite chapter and all I looked up the theory and can't believe I missed that. I'm in the middle of my second read-through the series and just passed that part too. Was looking forward to the Frey Pie thing that I totally missed and now I find out I missed something even more epic. F*ck.

But glad to see others enjoyed the chapter as much as I did. The first time through I thought it was amazing and the second time through it impressed me even more as I had an idea of what was coming up. Brilliant work and I've yet to find any series that can hold my interest as well. Although I've heard good things about the Malazan books of the fallen I am halfway through the first book in that series and seems good - ASOIAF just has a way of explaining things that make so much sense.

Like every paragraph is relevant and so thought out and such a complete thought. And at the same time despite the length of the novels they still even feel as if they are condensed a lot as there is so much stuff to cover. Most other books sort of drag on and have fillers that are boring or don't move the story or do anything for the atmosphere.. every fucking line in these books means something. How the fuck one man can manage this I'll never understand.

Archived