Lord Hightower giving away his daughter?

Flying Cat

Hey Folks!

Quick question: in the story that Jorah tells Dany about his Ex, he says that, after winning the tourney at Lannisport, he went drunk to Lord Hightower and asked him for the hand of his daughter. Jorah specifically mentions that Lord Hightower shouldn't have accepted because of the big difference in standing. But, for some reason, Poppa Hightower accepted.

Which reason(s) could that be? Was he eager to get rid of the spoiled brat that was his daughter? Could it be something more mysterious?

What is your opinion on the matter?

Yes, that struck me as odd.

Also, at the Lannisport Tourney, Lord Hightower and his daughter appear to be the sole representatives of the Reach. Lots of Northerners there, though.

So maybe he was thinking of this tourney as an opportunity to get his daughter as far away from Oldtown as possible, without going abroad or marrying her to a Wildling. If this was the case, the man from Bear Island would be a great choice.

As to why this was the case: maybe all his neighbours could tell you, but I can't.

Lynnesse is very pretty and house hightower is very rich. 

She is not something her father had hard time to arrange.

jorah and Lynnesse is a love match as far as know, and Jorah is a lord from a decent house. 

I do not think there is any problem. 

Actually I am wondering why stannis did not marry her. 

This is a very good match for him. 

I'm thinking that a Paris Hilton-like Lynesse (as she seems to be) could have been deflowered by someone, Lord Hightower finds out and gives she away quickly before someone notices. A drunk northern lord is actually quite good all things considered...

1 hour ago, Flying Cat said:

I'm thinking that a Paris Hilton-like Lynesse (as she seems to be) could have been deflowered by someone, Lord Hightower finds out and gives she away quickly before someone notices. A drunk northern lord is actually quite good all things considered...

Did not cersei say high born girl often lost maidenhead to horse riding? 

This is weird. Especially since we know the highborn generally don't care about who their kids are in love with. But, Lynesse was his 10th child so she maybe she had more of an option to marry for love than politics than she would have had she been his second child. Still to give her to the lord of Bear Isle, which is so remote and poor compared to Oldtown, it still seems weird. 

3 minutes ago, Maxxine said:

This is weird. Especially since we know the highborn generally don't care about who their kids are in love with. But, Lynesse was his 10th child so she maybe she had more of an option to marry for love than politics than she would have had she been his second child. Still to give her to the lord of Bear Isle, which is so remote and poor compared to Oldtown, it still seems weird. 

It is still a Lordship, and Jorah at the time was a prestigious tourney champion knighted by King Robert himself. It was certainly a better marriage than her sisters who married the Ser Cupps and Ser Redwyne as she would have a Lord/Lady as a child.

1 hour ago, purple-eyes said:

Actually I am wondering why stannis did not marry her. 

Well House Hightower get the final say on who their daughter and possibly at the time they were not yet 100% sure on Robert as King. The Crown may have been looking for an option to secure alliances in the Reach and the Florents were the most willing.

There is a good chance she was too young to be an option in 286, when Stannis was married (though the betrothal could have been arranged even earlier).

As well as Lynesse being the youngest child of ten (and the sixth girl to boot), and being a money drain, the timing of the match was also important. The Hightowers had been Targaryen loyalists in the war, and most of Lord Hightower's children who were married by this point were also married to other Targaryen loyalists. Politically, he needed to do something to demonstrate support for the crown (a bit like how the Freys would name their kids after whoever they were trying to curry favour with at that moment). The tourney was to celebrate crushing the Greyjoy rebellion, and Jorah Mormont had acquitted himself very well in that war even before winning the tourney. He also didn't have anyone on hand to advise him about the match as his father was already on the Wall by this point.

For Lord Hightower, it must have been a no-brainer - a war hero turned tourney champion who is a strong supporter of the King and his best friend wants to marry your youngest and most expensive daughter? Brilliant, sorted, get the septons in immediately. 

Jorah will betray Dany when House Hightower re-enters the picture.

The only reason Jorah even supports Dany now is because she has the same Valyrian features as Hightower's daughter. If the head of Hightower or his daughter ever take Jorah back (now that he had a royal pardon) Jorah will drop DAny and work towards House Hightower's goals.

And we know that House Hightower is anti-dragon/pro-Faith of the 7, so Dany's #1 ally will be her undoing unless she executes him first. 

As a lot of people mentioned, Jorah was at that time at the height of his popularity. For House Hightower, marrying one of its many many children to one of the -at that time- up and coming and most promising young noblemen, made a lot of sense. He was a renowned war hero, from an old and influntial noble house, as well as a tourney champion.Taking the gamble that he becomes one of Robert's or Ned's most trusted bannerman was very attractive. And you have gazillions of children, why not seize the opportunity and invest in new talent?

25 minutes ago, OIL, BLOOD, Water said:

Jorah will betray Dany when House Hightower re-enters the picture.

The only reason Jorah even supports Dany now is because she has the same Valyrian features as Hightower's daughter. If the head of Hightower or his daughter ever take Jorah back (now that he had a royal pardon) Jorah will drop DAny and work towards House Hightower's goals.

And we know that House Hightower is anti-dragon/pro-Faith of the 7, so Dany's #1 ally will be her undoing unless she executes him first. 

Ah... #1 ally? Not in Dany's books considering she banished him, unless you assume she'll take him back when he arrives with Tyrion. 

7 hours ago, thelittledragonthatcould said:

He has a lot of children and Jorah was by no means the worst marriage one of his children had. She got to marry an actual Lord, who was a renowned warrior. Had things gone differently for Jorah he could have become a far more influential Lord than the under the thumb slaver that he became.

This.

7 hours ago, Flying Cat said:

Hey Folks!

Quick question: in the story that Jorah tells Dany about his Ex, he says that, after winning the tourney at Lannisport, he went drunk to Lord Hightower and asked him for the hand of his daughter. Jorah specifically mentions that Lord Hightower shouldn't have accepted because of the big difference in standing. But, for some reason, Poppa Hightower accepted.

Which reason(s) could that be? Was he eager to get rid of the spoiled brat that was his daughter? Could it be something more mysterious?

What is your opinion on the matter?

Something to with Dany and Dragons perhaps? For this to work you have to keep in mind that Lord Hightower practices magic

Lyesse was what, the last of like four or five children. It's very very unlikely she would ever inherit anything and Jorah was a man knighted by the king, and he gained a great deal of prestige during the Greyjoy Rebellion. He was also the lord of Bear Island, which contained quite a bit of land and excessive amount of timber. House Mormont was also highly respected among the Northern Lords. Seems to be a pretty decent match to me.

Leyton doesn't even seem to care that Lynesse is now some kind of concubine in a cheesemonger's mansion at the ass end of the world. He was probably like, "Yes, yes, you have my blessing, Yogi, just let me read my damn books in peace!"

I'm glad to see the common-sense answers in this thread above. Jorah paints his and Lynesse as being star-crossed lovers. But it's far different to that. He wasn't some penniless hedge knight. Jorah Mormont was a young Northern Lord who controlled an entire island, had at least 1000 men at his command, was a renowned veteran fighter in both war as well as tournaments and had just been knighted by the King himself.

The Hightowers are far more wealthier and powerful, but Lynesse was well removed from their line of inheritance. And Lord Hightower had been on the losing side of a war (though not suffered that badly). Lord Hightower would have thought at worst he was securing his daughter a comfortable marriage where he wouldn't have to pay for her upkeep and at best he was tying his house to a rising star in the new regime.

Leyton doesn't even seem to care that Lynesse is now some kind of concubine in a cheesemonger's mansion at the ass end of the world. He was probably like, "Yes, yes, you have my blessing, Yogi, just let me read my damn books in peace!"

He may be quite happy about it, despite people referring to his "whore of a daughter."

His son thinks that his sister's influence will make it easier to gather a fleet abroad.

Archived