Person of Interest - Only 13 Episodes Left [SPOILERS]

lady narcissa

Utterly ridiculous episode but they managed to pull it off. The CWDC folk should take note of how you do stupid without being stupid. The drunken irish uncle singing should have been offensive but it came off as charming.

The Shaw stuff was interesting although I was surprised all the examples she was given were folk Samaritan wanted to stop. I kept expecting the twist to be that Samaritan was helping them as they were resulting in less people. Given it stole the foodfreeze/distribution stuff a couple episodes ago I was convinced that Samaritan was trying to "save" us via a cull. So either they were outright lying to Shaw or Samaritan's endgame is different to what I thought. It would be an impressive twist if Samaritan was trying to save us in as harmless a way as possible.

It's brave how the show is mixing farce in with main arc given the number of episodes remaining. The scene of the gang letting the crowd (and by extension the world) have their day in the sunlight was ominous. I suspect things may ratchet up now.

When Harry picked up the phone and the machine had chosen her voice, the penny dropped a second before they showed it and I just lost it.  Shouldn't have got me so bad when there was so much foreshadowing but it did.

Also I expect Root having told that guy who ended up killing her that he was working for an evil machine to wind up being really pivotal, I think he ends up being the key to victory. Samaritan misses it, but the machine and Root bring it about.

The was possibly one of the best, if not the best episode of Person of Interest. The whole speech / threat that Finch gave made me think of what Elias said to him a few episodes ago about him having a really dark side and how the extremely quite ones are usually the most dangerous. I had a feeling the two characters they killed off were going to be the ones to meet their end. Doesn't change how sad it was though.

Michael Emerson was awesome this episode. He has been great all series, as has Enrico ColantoniIti (awesome in Flashpoint as well).

If I had to pick a favorite character from the show, it would have to be Elias. While I always liked his character thanks to how interesting he was, he didn't become my favorite character until he visited Simmons in the hospital as well as delivering some of the best dialogue of the show and finished it off with one of the best lines  "[laughing] No. No, my friend is going to kill you. [going deadpan] I'm just going to watch." All leading to one of the most satisfying scenes in the show, watching one of the most vile characters end. 

It's still a bit surreal to think there are only 3 episodes left. 

still a couple of episodes behind but I liked how Shaw rescued herself and appears to be back in the fold.

Can't say I remember "the voice" - which season did he appear in?

Oh and looking at the ratings CBS has totally shafted the show. Ratings are good for episode 1,3 and 5 (that are aired on the same day) whereas 2 and 4 amd 6 are down by 1.5 million. By episode 7 it looks like 1.5 million people realised they'd missed half the season and simply quit so now the show has settled into the die-hards only.

On 1-6-2016 at 3:04 PM, Harakiri said:

If I had to pick a favorite character from the show, it would have to be Elias. While I always liked his character thanks to how interesting he was, he didn't become my favorite character until he visited Simmons in the hospital as well as delivering some of the best dialogue of the show and finished it off with one of the best lines  "[laughing] No. No, my friend is going to kill you. [going deadpan] I'm just going to watch." All leading to one of the most satisfying scenes in the show, watching one of the most vile characters end.

You and I are outliers; we're not really a part of civilization. We're something... older.

38 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

You and I are outliers; we're not really a part of civilization. We're something... older.

Enrico Colantino is excellent in the role. I've liked the character from his first appearance. He's pretty cold and ruthless but you respect his rules.

Just now, red snow said:

Enrico Colantino is excellent in the role. I've liked the character from his first appearance. He's pretty cold and ruthless but you respect his rules.

I also like that, similar to David Xanatos, he is too smart to hold grdges and he does not let petty feelings get the better of his judgement. Great qualities in a bad guy.

Just watched episode 10. Wow, that's one of the show's strongest episodes and sets up the final 3 nicely. Weirdly Elias' death struck me more than Roots but I think that's because understated deaths affect me more. Something about the fact of it being a bit random and pointless makes it harder to take. Root's demise was more a sacrifice - hell, I'm even wondering if the machine had told her what was going to happen. That scenario gives all her scenes in the episode a different angle. Imagine from the opening, she's had a conversation with the machine and it's told her what's about to happen. Root accepts and takes the opportunity to put her house in order - that's why she tells Finch about unlocking the machine and why she thanks him for changing her life. It's also why she has the conversation with Shaw amidst the gunfight (although she used to do that all the time). I certainly think it's why she was talking about simulations and why she'll never be dead as long as the machine lives.

I also keep forgetting how good the show is with matching songs to the content at times. "the day the world went away" and "Fake empire" both fit perfectly.

I'm pleased the show isn't going out with a whimper. I'd worried with CBS trying to bury it and Nolan being busy with Westworld the final season would be an afterthought (a bit like how Boardwalk empire felt at times) but that's certainly not the case.

I'm really enjoying the final season.

My excuse for not realising early on what was going on with the second team is that I can't say I remember half the returning former numbers or antagonists, but they do add to the intensity of the show's endgame.

They also make me feel like there's an upside to the show not being a massive hit: we'd be drowning in spin-offs otherwise.:P

2 hours ago, Kindly Old Man said:

I thought Greer's sacrifice was forced, but the rest of the episode was awesome. I loved all the alternate timeline scenes.

Very forced as in there must have been a way of killing Finch without killing him in a military installation ran by samaritan. I also found it hard to believe that Samaritan didn't have a way of switching off a computer access port. Using software with a voice password seemed a bit convenient when dealing with a super computer. There has to be more to the finale as I can't see how the Machine never won in a simulation.

But it was still a decent episode and I really appreciated them not making the alt world uniformly worse - although it appeared to be worse for the central cast.

What I don't get is that if Samaritan was always going to appear what's to stop another one from turning up? Besides turning society back into a pre AI technology surely it is always going to return? That said what's to stop Finch just making the machine again once Samarita is eliminated? Seems to me the world needs the machine to act as a benevolent vanguard against the Samaritan AIs. I guess a lot of this boils down to it being hard for the show to genuinely deal with AI in a plausible way that still remains entertaining and provides a satisfying resolution. At the moment the balance seems about right.

I saw it suggested that Greer also had a mechanism for stopping Samaritan, so he agreed to die with Finch to eliminate the only ways of stopping his ASI.  I do think given the way the research was being suppressed by Samaritan that another one arising is inevitable, but it might at least be closer to the machine than Samaritan is, and thus not in control of humanity.  Also, while it hasn't been mentioned on screen, there are still the smaller copies of the machine and Samaritan in the faraday cage in the subway, whoever gets access to those can resurrect the ASI of their choice.

46 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

I dunno, sure Greer's sacrifice makes no sense to most people, but he was basically a religious fanatic, only his god was mechanical.

I think it would have helped if there was some indication Samaritan wanted him dead too. I guess the point was Samaritan has no attachment whatsoever to even its closest tools. Can't really blame it given the number of other tools out there. I guess this combined with Greer's fanaticism makes more sense.

On 15/06/2016 at 11:04 AM, red snow said:

I think it would have helped if there was some indication Samaritan wanted him dead too. I guess the point was Samaritan has no attachment whatsoever to even its closest tools. Can't really blame it given the number of other tools out there. I guess this combined with Greer's fanaticism makes more sense.

It feels like they have a lot to wrap up. Who do you think will make it out alive?
I'm not so sure - I feel that the machine and Samaritan will become some new entity and perhaps retreat into being a hidden and benevolent factor.

Part of me wishes they could bring in as many "numbers" as possible to show that the entire show was about playing a bigger game the entire time but there's no way they can do that in one episode (plus many of the key characters have actors tied up elsewhere). Still I hope they get a couple to give that impression.

I sort of want Reese and Finch to make it out even though Reese has no life outside of the job. I think Fusco is the only one I really want to survive as he has a family.

Fingers crossed we don't get some bullshit BSG/lost ending that makes chunks of the show pointless. Worst case scenario for me is the revelation that this season (or more) has just been a simulation of the machines.

Sorry about the replying to myself up there! Sometimes things fail to post but I've noticed they are stored in the memory if you click on quote.

I thought it was a pretty satisfying ending overall. The bearded bad guy never seemed to amount to the screen-time they gave him (maybe a casualty of the shorter season?) but things wrapped up nicely.

I also liked that they left a possible spin-off dangling which while unlikely to happen allows our imaginations to think things continued. I sort of like the possibility of random people being recruited to aid the machine in the future.

The use of "root" to embody the machine in the final episode weirdly allowed me to make sense of elements of BSG for the first time

thinking of the angels etc in BSG as manifestations of a "the machine"-like AI makes more sense in my head.

I loved that they somehow managed to save Reese's best corny one liner to last "midas touch" was a stroke of genius.

I'll definitely miss the show as it was pretty much the only procedural long-season show I watch. Given I've thrown the towel in on the DCTV shows I don't currently have any. POI was an almost perfect balance of case of the week and ongoing mythology. I eagerly anticipate whatever Michael Emerson is in next and Amy Acker remains one of the most consistent genre actors around. Jim Caviezel also impressed - for a long time in the first season I thought he was wooden until we saw flashbacks or his ex turn up in the plot and then it became clear he was intentionally playing Reese that way. The actor made (or even added) layers to a character that could otherwise be generic.

Fingers crossed Nolan's next project is as good. It looks like a switch from episodic to long form given it's Westworld and HBO.

I think the show will be ranked highly amongst shows this decade for me. It's rare they get better then maintain said quality and end well.

Archived